Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Dark Apprentice(curved hilt) Red Blade Review  (Read 5723 times)
JdiKnhtJMH
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 262

Jedi Weapons Master

« on: January 06, 2011, 04:06:57 AM »

My first two ultrasabers were bought on ebay and this model was one of them. It was purchased as a duel-ready version of my currently owned Count Dooku Hasbro Force FX saber. First let me speak about the merits of the DA on its own. The blade is plenty bright as with all ultrasabers. I think its either ultra edge or medium, not sure. The grip feels pretty good and is thin enough that you can grip it easily, without any unnatural protrusions except for the on/off switch. Said switch is impossible to toggle accidentally, which is very good, although personally I wish the switch was placed a little further up. The weapon could surely use a guard though, maybe a flanged emitter, a Dooku style protrusion, or an Obi Wan style round guard. The handle is made of plastic, which I think feels sturdy but lacks the aesthetic appeal of metal, which I would like to see available in a future curve hilt model. The balance is forward towards the blade, almost an inch up the blade on my model. What gives??? This is a dueling blade specifically designed for the Makashi combat style, it needs to be properly balanced. The detailing on the dark apprentice is rather poor but thats alright as I was modifying mine anyhow, which went well, I painted it and applied some leather strips to the handle so it has more style, also added a guard to it. There was one other problem but I'll address that in the dueling part

Ok, now as compares to the Dooku saber:

clearly the aesthetic question goes to the Dooku saber, its shiney and nice. However, the Dooku saber has a thicker handle which makes it somewhat hard to use, especially if you have small hands. It's also much heavier than its ultrasaber counterpart, so you pay for that styling. Also, I cannot stress enough the advantage of luxeon hilt lit over LED string blade lit I had already busted 2 LEDs in the Dooku before I decided to get a devoted dueling saber. I do miss the sound effects from my dooku saber, but that's not a big deal. Also, the Dooku saber is perfectly balanced, which is odd since it isnt really meant for battle. All in all the Dooku saber cost me a few bucks more used on ebay, but it was a better value in my opinion, just not as durable as I need it to be for fighting. The Dark Apprentice seems like a step in the right direction towards a complete, elegant curved hilt dueling saber.

Finally to the part everyone is interested in: The fighting. Well, this model offers increased maneuverability, especially when used one handed. This is me with my Dark Apprentice fighting off my best friend while he's using the dual blade Jar'Kai style. I was able to parry everything he threw at me using this weapon:

As far as taking damage from all the fighting goes, there was one problem. The blade began to strobe on and off after a few good hits and would sometimes turn off entirely. This was an intense battle however as you can see from the photos, but I think I'll be making sure my battery pack is secure before my next fight (it was a problem with the batteries getting a bit loose, but was easily fixed, and might have been prevented had I bought the battery pack protector available here. But as for real battle damage? Check out Blake's Anakin Force FX lightsaber. Ton of dead LEDs on that thing:

Arsenal with Obsidian Sound And Silver Flash on Clash:

Kylo Ren Flamberge, Dark War Glaive, Reaper w/ Dornian pommel, Bane, Menace, Vader Prophecy, Darth Sidious Initiate V4
Dorinian, Obi Wan ROTS Archon, Regal Mantis, Spectre, Anakin AOTC Prophecy
Consular, Dark Shock, Yoda Initiate, Luke ROTJ Archon, Kit Fisto Menace
RGB: Bellicose Staff, Raven, Manticore Staff, Emerald Catalyst
Electrum Wind, Emperor's Hand

Lord_BoOgEyMaN
Knight Major

Force Alignment: -23

The Sith Shall Rise again!

« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2011, 04:10:50 AM »

Thanks for the review, Hope you had fun in that duel, it looks intense

Dark Initiate V2 (2) Blazing red

JdiKnhtJMH
Knight Commander

Jedi Weapons Master

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2011, 04:26:16 AM »

It was a blast, and ended up being a series of duels where we tried out different combat styles and lightsabers. We're rather evenly matched, though Blake is definitely the better overall fighter. I used my blue archon in the course of the night as well so I'll have that up soon.

Kylo Ren Flamberge, Dark War Glaive, Reaper w/ Dornian pommel, Bane, Menace, Vader Prophecy, Darth Sidious Initiate V4

JdiKnhtJMH
Knight Commander

Jedi Weapons Master

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2011, 02:43:01 AM »

My customized dark apprentice hilt. I incorporated the beveled Vader emitter from my Force FX build your own since I never use it anyhow.

Lord_BoOgEyMaN
Knight Major

Force Alignment: -23

The Sith Shall Rise again!

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2011, 02:45:19 AM »

Sweetness!!

Dark Initiate V2 (2) Blazing red

Darth Ptera
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: 0

You have no chance to survive make your time.

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2011, 04:41:14 AM »

SWEET!!! V for Vendetta!!

JdiKnhtJMH
Knight Commander

Jedi Weapons Master

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2011, 05:43:52 AM »

Yes, the Jedi Code says "There is no ignorance, there is knowledge" so a Jedi must study and read from many sources, including the works of Alan Moore.

Manroon
Protector of Abused Dungeon Rancors
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 832

Nova Six, two lit and in the green.

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2011, 09:29:13 AM »

Ah, those dead LEDs in the MR sabers... lol My Vader had LOTS of those before the blade came off. XD I mean, like half the things were gone.

Anyways, your duel looks INTENSE! Epic photo! Like the Dark Apprentice hilt, came out nice. Good review, btw. Very detailed!

I am not a color...

A Knight can serve only one Master.

andilynnwoods
Knight Lieutenant

Force Alignment: -3

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2011, 04:25:59 PM »

is that the one u are talking about for ebay... the bottom pic? or the top?

MY SABERS                            FRIENDS SABERS
Ancient Bane: Artic Blue          Dominix V1: Blazing Red 
Initiate V2 LE: Consular Green Phantom V2: Red/Blue
Initiate V2 LE: Gaurdian Blue   Initiate V2 LE: Blazing Red
Aeon: Artic Blue                      Initiate V2 LE: Gaurdian Blue

JdiKnhtJMH
Knight Commander

Jedi Weapons Master

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2011, 07:51:50 PM »

The first one is the Force FX Dooku, the second one is a customized dark apprentice. The regular DA I'm selling is just all black.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: