Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
Author Topic: Jedi unarmed combat style  (Read 19510 times)
Oramac
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -256

Dark Side, please. I like the cookies.

« Reply #30 on: October 11, 2013, 05:49:58 PM »

I think of it like this, if a bat is being swung at my friends head my first reaction is to catch it, not to block or hit it away. Most reactions to something falling is to either catch the object or try and move the person in its path. Just my look on the situation.

Maybe I'm weird, but I'd think exactly the opposite.  If someone is swinging a bat at me, the bat has a lot of momentum behind it.  So instead of trying to stop that momentum, I'm going to try to redirect it so the bat misses its target.  Also, if Yoda were thinking of moving the people out of the bats path, why didn't he just push Obi-wan out of the way instead of catching the falling thing. 

I give stealth points.  You may get one without ever knowing it! Muwahaha!

Dark War Glaive - Blazing Red/AS FOC [or FO/VA FOC]
Initiate v3 with Obsidian - Blazing Red
Initiate v3 - Consular

Kham-Ryn Kurios
Sentinel Prime; Knight of the HoloNet Order
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 1723

I am Mr. Yellow.

« Reply #31 on: October 11, 2013, 05:57:00 PM »

Maybe I'm weird, but I'd think exactly the opposite.  If someone is swinging a bat at me, the bat has a lot of momentum behind it.  So instead of trying to stop that momentum, I'm going to try to redirect it so the bat misses its target.  Also, if Yoda were thinking of moving the people out of the bats path, why didn't he just push Obi-wan out of the way instead of catching the falling thing. 

Dramatic tension.

/LIGHT SIDE POINTS PLEASE\
‎Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Airk Tobruk
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: 2

« Reply #32 on: October 11, 2013, 10:23:51 PM »

Can anyone recomend a good real-world unarmed combat form that would compliment my saber training?

Oramac
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -256

Dark Side, please. I like the cookies.

« Reply #33 on: October 11, 2013, 10:52:34 PM »

Can anyone recomend a good real-world unarmed combat form that would compliment my saber training?

I'm in no position to recommend a particular art, but I'd be willing to bet that virtually all of them will help in basic coordination and control.

I give stealth points.  You may get one without ever knowing it! Muwahaha!

Dark War Glaive - Blazing Red/AS FOC [or FO/VA FOC]
Initiate v3 with Obsidian - Blazing Red
Initiate v3 - Consular

jasond22
Knight Ensign

Force Alignment: 18

Jedi w/ Archon SRD/FOC AS; Prophecy CG; Aeon v3 GB

« Reply #34 on: October 12, 2013, 01:47:03 AM »

Depends what your goal is.  If, for instance, you want options you can add into your saber choreography, an art with a good deal of medium & high kicking (along with hand techniques) gives you techniques you can blend into your choreography easily.  You see medium & high kicks used in the movies fairly often.  There's a number of Korean arts with a lot of kicks (Soo Bahk Do/Tang Soo Do/Tae Kwon Do), Muay Thai, Northern Kung Fu styles tend to have a lot of kicks, etc.

Airk Tobruk
Knight Lance Corporal

« Reply #35 on: October 12, 2013, 07:44:03 PM »

I've been studying the TPLA Shii Cho dulon and have a question for anybody. Should each trajectory run in a straight line, back and forth? Mine tend to stray a little.

Ryn
Knight Sergeant

Force Alignment: 19

« Reply #36 on: October 12, 2013, 08:43:57 PM »

I've been studying the TPLA Shii Cho dulon and have a question for anybody. Should each trajectory run in a straight line, back and forth? Mine tend to stray a little.

If I remember correctly from the video, the first two trajectories focus on a zig-zag movement with each strike, and the last two are straight lines.

Airk Tobruk
Knight Lance Corporal

« Reply #37 on: October 12, 2013, 08:50:41 PM »

oops. I meant to start this as a new topic. Sorry.

Daniel H
Knight Apprentice

Force Alignment: 0

My other car's a katana...

« Reply #38 on: October 14, 2013, 02:39:26 AM »

I am a Wing Chun man, who was lucky enough to have a brilliant Sifu.
Wing Chun was originally developed in secret at the Sil Lum temple in Shaolin as a brutally effective art to rapidly train a rebel army to take on the Manchus, who had occupied most of Northern China and parts of the South with an iron fist and an overwhelming army of stormtroopers... sound familiar?

But I also trained briefly in Sakura Kan Jiu Jitsu.

My understanding of the history of Sakura Kan Jiu Jitsu, is it was the open hand combat technique of the feudal samurai.

As you can imagine, any samurai who found himself thrown from his horse in the middle of a battlefield, with no katana, short-sword or pike/spear, was in a world of trouble, and any Jedi (or Sith) who lost their sabre would be in the same (sinking) boat.

As a result, Sakura Kan training involves the most direct and brutal moves available - the idea being to f*** someone up very quickly, take their weapon, and maybe survive.

Our training involved a lot of Judo throws and grappling, a lot of simultaneous defence/attack techniques I recognised from Wing Chun, and a LOT of how-to-grapple-a-weapon-off-your-opponent-and-kill-them-with-it training.

We were also regularly trainied in techniques like diving somersaults over a katana swung at waist height, or diving under a katana swung at neck height. Another favourite was "how to fall face first onto a knife sticking out of the ground and keep your chest from being impaled".

All of which would be wonderful techniques to learn and incorporate into fan-films.

For example, a scene where your lightsabre is lost facing multiple enemies. A diving somersault/forward roll over a waist-high sabre swing, rising up to grasp the second opponent's hilt and elbow, using their own sabre to impale them from behind* as you deliver a high kick to opponent #1 to knock them back for a moment, then turning back to face opponent #1 with opponent #2's blood-spattered sabre as opponent #2 crumples at your feet?

EPIC!!

I don't face psychotic swordsmen most Saturday nights at the local bar, and in a real-world fight I use Wing Chun to defend myself.

But if you want to learn techniques that involve unarmed warriors versus warriors with swords - that will look good on film - then my personal opinion and advice is to seek out a qualified Sakura Kan Jiu Jitsu Sensei.

Be aware that belts are hard-earned in Sakura-Kan, and often the instructor will hold a "lowly" coloured belt, so judge them on ability, not on any expectation that anyone lower than a black-belt is a novice.

Hope that was helpful  Smiley

Airk Tobruk
Knight Lance Corporal

« Reply #39 on: October 14, 2013, 04:50:56 AM »

Thanks Daniel for your reply. I'm off to look up Sakura-Kan.

dhenwood
Knight Captain

Force Alignment: 28

« Reply #40 on: October 14, 2013, 12:23:09 PM »

More traditional arts will be flashier and more likely to incorporate weapon work with swords etc in their styles. I would avoid things like muay thai or grappling (judo etc) because they are fighting focused competitive sports and not a lot will be based on what your looking for.

( :::::::::::::::::::::::[}o[i i i i i i i][ i i i i i i i]o{}::::::::::::::::::::: )
                                       Phantom LE AS

/l-----¬
()={i i][llll][  o{ii[}}] | ::::::::::::::::::::::::::: )
                               \l
     Scorpion BR

Da

Jabari
Knight Major

Force Alignment: 57

« Reply #41 on: October 17, 2013, 02:39:05 AM »

I would think Jedi unarmed combat would be more along the lines of the arts of self-defense.  "This weapon is your life", after all.

Things like: redirecting an opponent's attack, how to avoid a hit, how to take a fall, how to break out of an opponent's hold, and Force techniques like Force Shield, Force Absorb, etc.

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: