Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Shii Cho Dulon question  (Read 3393 times)
Airk Tobruk
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: 2

« on: October 12, 2013, 08:55:07 PM »

I've been studying the TPLA Shii Cho dulon and have a question for anybody. Should each trajectory run in the same general direction? I understand there are zigzags, side steps and switch backs, but the over all feel should be one of moving forward right? I tend to veer off course from straight back and forth sometimes and wanted to know if I should correct this or not.

Crescent King
Knight Officer

Force Alignment: 13

« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2013, 12:32:44 AM »

I look at the forms, attacks, and stances as more like guidelines than pratical. Some of the strikes don't seem like they would hit much of anything. Some of the moves feel more confusing to me than strategic. In combat it doesn't matter how you move as long as you feel comfortable with your movements. If you feel the zig-zag will mess you up, create a move to replace it or just practice till you get it down. Not sure if this is the answer you're looking for but it's the best I have, best of luck to you.

Ryn
Knight Sergeant

Force Alignment: 19

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2013, 12:57:01 AM »

The point with any form, if it is related to martial arts, is to find the meaning for yourself. In Isshin-ryu we called it bunkai, but it is what the technique means to you individually. Is it a block, cut, or parry? The only thing that matters is that you keep true to the technique and interpret it as you see and feel it.

As far as what the video shows, here it is for reference (pay attention to the text at the bottom):

http://youtu.be/YZEESNVrHYc

Darth Sabre
Knight Captain

Force Alignment: -216

TPLA Knight instructor

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2013, 05:29:47 PM »

When I began working through the Dulon, Master Nonymous gave me this:

"The set is very linear so think of a hallway that you are moving though."

If you like, take a look at the thread where I described my approach to tackling this ... I tried to do some footwork diagrams. They were meant as a help for memorizing foot positions (as I have never before worked with martial arts concepts), and they're very "amateurish" for sure, but they do show the general linearity of the Dulon (with some zig-zagging around the line for sure!). I ruined  a fine and very linear strip of grass while practicing it ...  Grin

Maybe you can show us your progress in a video soon, too?

http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=11117.0

Airk Tobruk
Knight Lance Corporal

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2013, 06:03:43 PM »

When I began working through the Dulon, Master Nonymous gave me this:

"The set is very linear so think of a hallway that you are moving though."

Perfect! Thank you Darth Sabre and everyone else. This is exactly the clarification I needed.

EthosDecimus
Knight Aspirant

Force Alignment: 0

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2013, 08:16:02 PM »

Airk, I hope you don't mind if I hijack- this seemed like a good place to ask another Shii-Cho question rather than starting a new thread.  I posted this on the TPLA Initiate Event page, but thought I would repost here to broaden the net:

Basically, I've watched both the Step by Step and the Dulon and Stances videos many times.. A couple of questions about some transitions in the first trajectory have come up.  1) After the second sai tok, before sai cha right, a move is made to set up for the sai cha. Is that sweep of the blade from right to left sun djem? Likewise, when the blade is swept back prior to sai cha left, is that sun djem, or just an alignment for sai cha? 2) After sai cha left, prior to the Jedi guard, the blade is dropped them pulled into guard. Is that a parry for zone 6, or something else?

I've pretty much memorized the first two trajectories now, and am working on ironing out the details. I'll try to get a video up soon for some feedback... I've been wanting to work on a few more things before putting up an official submission video.

Airk Tobruk
Knight Lance Corporal

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2013, 08:17:57 PM »

It's my understanding that there IS a sun djem before each sai cha in the first trajectory of the Shii Cho dulon. I'm not sure if this is written in stone. Could any Lx apprentices or resident Master's possible clarify that point?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: