Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Author Topic: Finally! Review of my first Manticore and Dark Shock!  (Read 9387 times)
Sciggs
Knight Lieutenant

Force Alignment: 121

Neither the dark nor the light, but the grey.

« on: October 15, 2013, 07:37:33 PM »

Let me preface this by saying, holy crap! I had to jump through so many hoops to get these. Emory was great, very prompt, but everyone else apparently had their Cheerios peed in. PayPal screwed up my payment, I had to call thirty people and email more (helpless responses to my emails), finally got that fixed and of course my shipping was over a (government) holiday weekend, then I find out (I guess I should have known before) that FedEx doesn't deliver to P.O. boxes... FINALLY, my two very first Ultrasabers are here!

First, the saber I got for my girlfriend: I got a Dark Shock in AB with blue A/V switch and VA FoC (I also just loaded the Sister of Shadows sound font-- wicked!)

This is a solid saber. I was actually pretty surprised at how smooth the grooves are, I was afraid they would make it hurt a little to spin but it's extremely comfortable. My GF says she loves it, and it's perfect for her two hand fighting style. It's machined very well, it's already got a few nicks but out of the box it was flawless. Beautiful! The Obsidian sound is much clearer than I thought it would be too, and boy is it bright... I opened the box in the middle of the day in the brightly lit living room, and I've got to say I looove the UltraEdge blades (though granted I only have cooler spectrum colors to compare). So far, we've already had a few decently high-impact battles with my extra set of Heavy Grade blades and (except for where I accidentally scratched it) it is functioning like a champ. So far, no problems at all with blade tips coming off or retention screws un-screwing.

Craftsmanship:10/10
Electronics:10/10
Durability:10/10
Overall: 10/10

Next, my own saber, the Manticore! I got it in CG with an AB FoC and a green A/V switch with an added Covertec wheel. (I also loaded the Black Star font... love it.)

Man, this saber is beautiful! At first when I took it out of the box, I was concerned about a bit of rattling but the blade had just come a little loose from shipping. I also added a covertec wheel, and though it kind of takes away from my natural grip (my own fault, I should have placed it somewhere different), it's not really a problem because I normally use one hand anyway. In fact, even if I use two hands this saber is perfect because my hands are small. Since only the grip is anodized black, I can't at all see any of the nicks I've put in it so far, it still looks so clean and pristine. The Consular Green is so vibrant, I've just been turning off all the lights in my house so I can turn it on to light the way! (weird, I know). I had one small problem with this saber though, when I opened it up to connect it to the Obsidian program, I noticed that the female mini USB port was a little bent, and I had to actually take a pair of pliers and bend it out enough for me to get the USB in there at all. But, after I did that everything worked just fine, and it functions just as (if not more) beautifully as the Dark Shock. I can't wait to add my own touches to this saber! (I actually built my own saber before out of pieces from Home Depot, but there is no way it compares to this quality... but that is another discussion entirely).

Craftsmanship: 10/10
Electronics: 9/10
Durability: 10/10
Overall: 9.5/10

Both of these sabers were a tad bigger than I thought they would be in person, but that's probably just because I stare at smaller pictures of them online.

Ultrasabers Customer Service: 10/10 -- very prompt and helpful with all my questions

I am already saving up for my next set of sabers! (FO Dominix and maybe a BR Dominix (I can't remember what the staff is called off the top of my head)

Manticore CG/AB FoC Obsidian Green A/V-- Modified Arabic theme
Dark Shock AB/AS Foc Obsidian Blue A/V
Overlord Obsidian with 4 channel RGBA
Initiate V3 SY/AS Foc Obsidian Red A/V
Initiate V3 BR/AS Foc Obsidian Yellow A/V
Azure Omen Obsidian with 2 channel BG non-lit A/V

Racona Nova
Knight of the Obsidian Order
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1116

There is no good or evil....there's only power!

« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2013, 08:18:04 PM »

Two questions about your review (I probably want to buy a Manticore next):

1. Which blade length do you get when mounting it? My Aeon v3 have about 33", I think, so is the socket higher (i.e. will the blade be shorter than in the Aeon v3), lower or equal?

2. Where have you put the Covertec Wheel?

Sig by Master Nero
Phantasm v3 LE (Obs v3) - AB w/ FoC AS---Manticore (Obs v3) - BR w/ FoC AS (QD)---Archon v2.1 (Obs v3) - RGBW Emerald

Sciggs
Knight Lieutenant

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2013, 08:26:37 PM »

1. Well, I got 32" blades but that is only because I'm short, and for my personal comfort. The blade actually sits probably about 3" inside the emitter. In fact, the blade housing inside the emitter is way too long for the blade plug, it's noticeably deeper than my shock (but I don't have an Aeon to compare). I'd say you lose a solid three inches of the blade length. Hope that answers your question

2. I put the Covertec wheel 180 degrees from the A/V switch, on the bottom of the grip near the pommel. I'm right handed, so my right hand is on top near the choke point (fine) but my fingers on my left hand keep hitting the covertec wheel. I almost would recommend getting the wheel 90 degrees from the switch on the RIGHT side (when looking AT the switch) if you are right handed and tend to hold it like a baseball bat (like I do).

Racona Nova
Knight of the Obsidian Order
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1116

There is no good or evil....there's only power!

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2013, 08:35:38 PM »

Well, that really helps, thanks for your quick reply ^^

Sig by Master Nero
Phantasm v3 LE (Obs v3) - AB w/ FoC AS---Manticore (Obs v3) - BR w/ FoC AS (QD)---Archon v2.1 (Obs v3) - RGBW Emerald

James Casey
Forum Watchman
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1510

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2013, 09:06:27 PM »

Congrats on your new 'sabres!

Hopefully you'll share some pics soon, but they sound fantastic Smiley

"I'll split this world open and tear down the sky before I let him come to even the slightest harm."

Sciggs
Knight Lieutenant

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2013, 11:50:20 PM »

Thanks! I will upload pictures as soon as I figure out how Smiley

Sciggs
Knight Lieutenant

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2013, 01:21:37 AM »

Some pics! Hopefully I posted these correctly...

First up, an unlit photo, with the Manticore on the left and the Dark Shock on the right. Beautiful, right? I know!

Second, a nice picture with both of them lit, it's sooo bright! More pictures to come, I'll probably post them in the gallery section, but right now it's a pain so I only have two.

Sciggs
Knight Lieutenant

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2013, 01:22:35 AM »

Crap! Maybe this way...

Prowl 1701
Mentor of the Prophecy Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 830

We're all just dreams in the end...

« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2013, 04:06:09 AM »

Those pics look fantastic! I've always wanted to see a Manticore in CG so have a point for that!  It's also nice to see  someone that shares my love for the low profile pommel on the Manticore too.  Nice review!  Grin

Sciggs
Knight Lieutenant

« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2013, 11:56:50 AM »

Thanks Prowl! I have to say, the CG makes it POP... it looks very sleek with that color, I tried the Manticore pommel on my shock, but the AB just doesn't have the same effect through those windows. Plus, your review helped me decide on a Manticore anyway (CG was always my first choice of blade though)

Spike311
Knight Officer

Force Alignment: 21

Silence is golden. Duct tape is silver.

« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2013, 11:26:29 PM »

Very nice sabers!!! I own the Manticore and want the Shock (SE) very badly.

I give you a point for being in the "Manticore Family". Smiley

Proud founder and member of the JTC (Jedi Technician Council)

Lightsabers:
Icons Skywalker Lightsaber #4795/10000
Hasbro Obi-Wan TPM (Signature Series)
Ultra Saber Emerald Manticore (2CH B-G) with Obsidian 3.0

Zren Tobas
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -2029

[Give Light Side Points!] [Give Dark Side Points!]

« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2013, 03:13:51 AM »

Nice sabers. Both look good. Love the blue though.

Sabers: Liberator V3 CG ObsV4 sound!, Graflex GB, Overlord AB, Crimson Savior BR, Bane PO, Dark Initiate V2 LE BH, Shock GB, Archon V2.1 CG, Dark Sentinel LE GB ObSLite!, Standard Issue V3 CG, Dominix V3 LE BR, Sentinel SRD, Dominix V2 FO
Next sabers: Dark Prophecy BVA, Negotiator AS, Enigma EG, Brylark CE SY
[/url]SW1 by joshgarcia07[/url

Sciggs
Knight Lieutenant

« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2013, 03:39:44 AM »

Very nice sabers!!! I own the Manticore and want the Shock (SE) very badly.

I give you a point for being in the "Manticore Family". Smiley

Have you held a Shock? It's surprisingly comfortable to hold definitely get one. I like it. It feels nice and solid in my hands

GoggleMac
Knight Aspirant

Force Alignment: 6

« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2013, 08:38:38 AM »

Both the Manticore and Shock are on my want list. I am thinking of the Manticore in GB and Shock in CG though.

Sciggs
Knight Lieutenant

« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2013, 12:58:08 PM »

There's a picture of a Manticore in GB on here somewhere, the guy doesn't have great quality blade pictures but you can tell it still looks awesome. Honestly the emitter windows will go great with any color. I absolutely love it.  At first when I got them the Shock was easier for me to hold, so I liked playing with it better, but now that I've found a good grip position on my Manticore, it is definitely my favorite again. Suuper comfortable.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: