Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Author Topic: TPLA Shii Cho vs Kendo  (Read 9308 times)
Airk Tobruk
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: 2

« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2013, 08:34:38 PM »

I have to admit I'm a little nervous, but excited at the same time. I'm looking forward to a good self critique of myself and the opportunity to apply what I've learned in an actual duel. I'll let everyone know how it goes.

Tanq
Knight Arbiter

Force Alignment: 98

Knight of Hearts

« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2013, 09:06:24 PM »

Technical things aside, don't worry about it, there's nothing at stake - you're going to get very excited and subconsciously tense up during your sparring, but just try to regulate your breathing and relax. If you can set up a camera to record the duel, you may learn even more in the post-game analysis.

Airk Tobruk
Knight Lance Corporal

« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2013, 05:12:07 AM »

Well, my match had to be cancelled today due to unforeseen family issues. In the mean time I decided to practice and made this short video of my progress so far.

Comments, concerns, or criticisms? Any input would be appreciated.

http://youtu.be/FbsiQCDb4Pw

EthosDecimus
Knight Aspirant

Force Alignment: 0

« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2013, 05:39:56 AM »

Nice Airk.  If could offer something, I would suggest trying to put more force into some of the moves.  You have a good fluidity of movement, and in my mind the next step would be to add some power.  Keep in mind, though, I'm a complete newb.  Wink

Oramac
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -256

Dark Side, please. I like the cookies.

« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2013, 03:29:45 PM »

Well, my match had to be cancelled today due to unforeseen family issues. In the mean time I decided to practice and made this short video of my progress so far.

Comments, concerns, or criticisms? Any input would be appreciated.

http://youtu.be/FbsiQCDb4Pw

I'm in no position to make recommendations for the match specifically, but might I suggest videotaping it as well?  Even if you don't post it, this can be a great way to go back and learn what worked and what didn't afterwards.

I give stealth points.  You may get one without ever knowing it! Muwahaha!

Dark War Glaive - Blazing Red/AS FOC [or FO/VA FOC]
Initiate v3 with Obsidian - Blazing Red
Initiate v3 - Consular

Volund Starfire
Knight Ensign

Force Alignment: 20

« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2013, 04:58:25 PM »

I would definitely enjoy watching video of the match.  I incorporate a great deal of the movements from my Aikido bokken training into my Shii-Cho and am fairly adept at going head-to-head with a Kendoka who is also Aikidoka.  However, I have learned that some of the sweeping movements of Shii-Cho will leave you open for quick riposte attacks.

My suggestion is to control your opponent's mid blade when you parry.  If you parry to close to the tip, then he can riposte easily with a simply hand move.  If you parry too close to the grip, then he can dip the tip of the blade and score a strike.

Be quick in your moves and follow up parries with strikes if it does not open you to attack.

Use your movement.  Kendo is not a true movement art where Shii-Cho is designed to be used while moving.  Get close to him, step to the sides, keep him guessing where you will be every moment.  If you stay in his line of attack, you are beaten.  Instead, force him to enter your line of attack.

Above all else, LEARN!  And, even more importantly, have fun while learning.

Airk Tobruk
Knight Lance Corporal

« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2013, 08:16:46 PM »

I would definitely enjoy watching video of the match.  I incorporate a great deal of the movements from my Aikido bokken training into my Shii-Cho and am fairly adept at going head-to-head with a Kendoka who is also Aikidoka.  However, I have learned that some of the sweeping movements of Shii-Cho will leave you open for quick riposte attacks.

My suggestion is to control your opponent's mid blade when you parry.  If you parry to close to the tip, then he can riposte easily with a simply hand move.  If you parry too close to the grip, then he can dip the tip of the blade and score a strike.

Be quick in your moves and follow up parries with strikes if it does not open you to attack.

Use your movement.  Kendo is not a true movement art where Shii-Cho is designed to be used while moving.  Get close to him, step to the sides, keep him guessing where you will be every moment.  If you stay in his line of attack, you are beaten.  Instead, force him to enter your line of attack.

Above all else, LEARN!  And, even more importantly, have fun while learning.

Thank you for the suggestions. As of right now our match is postponed indefinately due to some unforseen family issue on his end. But once we have our match I'll be sure to get it on video. I could use some good feedback on it.

Oramac
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -256

Dark Side, please. I like the cookies.

« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2013, 09:14:06 PM »

Thank you for the suggestions. As of right now our match is postponed indefinately due to some unforseen family issue on his end. But once we have our match I'll be sure to get it on video. I could use some good feedback on it.

Sorry to hear that.  Hope whatever it is, he/his family gets through it all right. 

I give stealth points.  You may get one without ever knowing it! Muwahaha!

Dark War Glaive - Blazing Red/AS FOC [or FO/VA FOC]
Initiate v3 with Obsidian - Blazing Red
Initiate v3 - Consular

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: