Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Some days you just can't win..  (Read 3038 times)
marquis_devaux
Knight Ensign

Force Alignment: 30

« on: October 23, 2013, 03:11:45 AM »

Brought my saber in to be powder coated black.  I wanted the Bunny Ears and the pommel powder coated also so I left the pommel screwed into the saber, WOOPS, I did not know that it would seal the pommel to the hilt.  I even tried grinding the powder coating off the joint but it is sealed tight.  After I did the grinding I came up with a possible way to install the electronics through the hilt, but I need to order a different shaped battery and it is a long shot.  Moral of the story is never leave the pommel screwed in when you are having your saber powder coated.  Or this will happen.

Here is what it looks like now with no electronics.

Every mistake is a lessened learned...

Darth Kitsune
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -236

There is no Peace, there is only Passion...

« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2013, 03:21:48 AM »

Yeeeeaaahhh....never leave anything together if you're going to paint it or coat it, unless you want it sealed together and either end up ruining a paint job or coating job. You have to take precautions and disassemble everything.

marquis_devaux
Knight Ensign

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2013, 03:34:27 AM »

Where were you yesterday.  lmao  Grin

This is my first saber build and that was the first time I have had anything powder coated.

Darth Kitsune
Knight Commander

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2013, 03:38:05 AM »

For a tip for future reference,

RESEARCH before ACTION! Always! If you're doing something new, look into it my friend. That way you can get the round-about before things go terribly awry!

Anyway, good luck with getting that sorted out. @_@

eerockk
Knight of the Obsidian Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 662

TPLA Lx Apprentice - Nova 7

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2013, 05:32:06 PM »

You can probably loosen the pommel again by running an xacto knife around the seam. If you can break the seal, a good twist will get that out again.

Bellicose - Prophecy V3 - Overlord - Archon 2.1 - Guardian

Darth Kitsune
Knight Commander

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2013, 10:28:42 PM »

You can probably loosen the pommel again by running an xacto knife around the seam. If you can break the seal, a good twist will get that out again.

I was going to suggest this, and possibly applying some slight heat while he's at it.

marquis_devaux
Knight Ensign

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2013, 02:13:14 AM »

The exacto knife was the first thing I tried and I was able to slice through the coating to the seem but still could not twist it off.  Event wrapped it in a towel and put it in a vise and cranked as hard as I could and it didn't budge.  That is when I took the grinder to it and even that didn't work.  I attempted to load the electronics through the emitter but the BuckPuck will not slide past the concave portion of the Libby hilt and there is not enough room in just the top of the saber.  To the recycle pile it goes.  All the electronics are still good and I can use them later.

First build, first failure....

Master Rel
Game Master
Knight of the Consular Order
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 1884

Martial artist, fabricator, chef, resident Ortolan

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2013, 03:20:37 AM »

Permatex Gasket Remover

This will melt away powder coating.  More than likely your threads are not paint locked but are actually heat swollen due the baking process.

Tape off the sections you want to protect, cover in paper towel, tape again, spray the gasket remover into the cap, use a Q-tip to apply where you want in...have hand cleaner on hand to fix oops.

The small pin holes, if you can pass a tool or rod in there this will improve your purchase.

Best of luck and success.

Light side points please Smiley

marquis_devaux
Knight Ensign

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2013, 03:33:26 AM »

Right now I am so frustrated with it I am going to set it aside for a few weeks and work on a saber for the contest.  This one will have NO powder coating and only a little paint.  I will definitely get some of that gasket remover and try it when I can bring my self to look again. =P

Sad thing is, if I just would of left the pommel off it would have not turned out that bad.  It had a red latching AV switch, in the activation box at the bottom was a 5mm red blinking LED to match the BR main LED, and it even had a recharge port.  So sad.  Sad  Playing taps for the "Dark Templar".....

Master Rel
Game Master
Knight of the Consular Order
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 1884

Martial artist, fabricator, chef, resident Ortolan

« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2013, 03:41:52 AM »

Too be honest...I would simply drill through the small hole side to side, pass a steel tool through, vice, and break it with pressure.

Easy peasy!

Light side points please Smiley

marquis_devaux
Knight Ensign

« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2013, 04:01:14 AM »

I do have so 1/16" steel rods and a drill press.  Hell maybe I will give it a try tomorrow.  I can always order a new pommel.  I can always use one of the plane jane pommels I have for now, and just leave it silver, not like it would clash and just as you said tape off the saber and just spray a little touch up paint at the very bottom with some high gloss black.

Thanks man, you have restored hope to my project.  =P

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: