Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Dark Standard Issue - Arctic Blue UEHG (First US, First Review)  (Read 6341 times)
Dark Lord Proscidior, Titus Solvan
Knight Ensign

Force Alignment: -22

Dark Side Points, Please

« on: June 28, 2011, 06:44:27 PM »

After an altogether too long weekend, the UPS man stopped by to deliver my first (of many, I suspect) UltraSaber.

A fantastic looking Dark Standard Issue with Arctic Blue UltraEdge Heavy Grade blade. I will echo what has been said by many, many people before me: Pictures do not do UltraSabers justice. Both in terms of the hilt or the brightness of the blades.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I will further echo the difficulty people express at trying to photograph them when lit, and getting a decent photo.

The hilt feels like a million bucks, and the grooves are just deep enough to feel, but not so much as to bind up or be uncomfortable. Because of the UEHG blade, the balance point is an inch or two past the end of the hilt, but it feels great.

The blade film had some ripples when it arrived, which created a dark spiral in the blade when lit, but after a quick search on the forums I found the solution. Beating it on a couch arm didn't work (and was annoying my 8 1/2 month pregnant wife), so I simply cut the glue out, rerolled the film, and regaled. Voila.

In whacking the daylights out of my couch, there was some noticeable battery pack rattle (4 AAAs), so I took a strip of low tack masking take to secure the batteries into the holder and a piece of craft foam inside of the pommel cap to keep the pack from moving around and it seems good to go.

Also, my OCD kicked in a bit with the blade's placement with the retention screw. It ends up pushing the blade to the opposite side of the hilt and leaving a gap on the side with the retention screw. Again, this was easily solved after looking through the forums. Several layers of cello tape with a gap for the retention screw and now the blade is nice and centered when hilted in.

I was originally considering cutting some accent windows or drilling some accent holes, but I'm not so sure right now, the hilt looks /so good/ with the DSI's slick, clean lines. For now, it'll stay stock in the looks department. I've also been switching which hand I'm using the saber in (using either my shinai or rapier in the other hand) to see if this would work (for me) as an offhand saber. I think that the standard length blade in UEHG may be a little unwieldy for that.

I'll most definitely be ordering other sabers from US in the future. The speed of delivery and quality of product are outstanding.

Specifically, I already want another Dark Standard Issue to match this one, with a set of 32" blades for both, and a Dark Initiate V2 LE in Blazing Red, probably with a non UE blade just for comparison (I've also heard folks on these forums say that Blazing Red looks damn good with the non UE blades).

I'm sure I'll grow to covet other sabers as well.

I also plan to add econo sound to this saber, as it looks like there is ample room to do so inside the hilt, and this is something I can do inexpensively enough to tinker on my own. I'll be honest, I'm dreading the opening of the CSO and the offering of Obsidian board in other sabers. My wallet weeps preemptively.

One final photo of my new baby with my other baby, a Neo Geo MVS 2 Slot (circa 1994) that I recently finished a 2.5 year long restoration on. Photo taken with flash, in a garage lit with shop lights. Seriously folks, these blades are /stupid/ bright.

-=Growing Arsenal=-
Dark Std Issue V2 AB Perditio
Bellicose BR / AS unnamed
Dark Initiate V2 VA Incipio
Gifted
Aeon v2 AS Purgatrix
Dominix V2 BR Profanitrix

Master Artorius Vidnyl
Resident Master
Forum Elder
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 759

Suns of the Force

« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2011, 07:21:21 PM »

That is a beautiful saber, friend!

Master Nero Attoru
Resident Master
Forum Elder
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 1641

Suns of the Force

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2011, 09:38:50 PM »

Very nice saber.  I have two of the Dark Standard Issues myself, a fire orange staff to be precise.  It's just a solid hilt all around, and the angled emitter looks wicked!

Darth Rifter
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -200

Darth Rifter and Jedi Keldor...Darn it I forgot.

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2011, 09:50:18 PM »

I am getting mine tomorrow, and i am so excited ti get it, ih man yah.

Slaide
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: 7

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2011, 10:13:26 PM »

Nice! How do you like your Arctic Blue? It contrasts really nice with the mostly black hilt. I fell in love with Arctic Blue almost as soon as i saw it. At a time i was dead set on getting a Fire Orange saber, and then i saw the AB. Didn't take long for me to change my mind. Tongue

Catalyst- Blazing Red

Knight Ensign

Dark Side Points, Please

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2011, 10:29:48 PM »

Not a single picture I've seen of the arctic blue, my own included, really does the color justice. It's a really stunning color, and BRIGHT, even on the cheapy free batteries that Ultra throws in. Like I said above, that last pick is under fluorescent shop lights, with flash. I do plan another saber to match this one (and to be able to use as a staff) as well as a Dark Initiate V2 LE in blazing red.

-=Growing Arsenal=-
Gifted
Aeon v2 AS Purgatrix

Knight Ensign

Dark Side Points, Please

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2011, 06:33:57 AM »

To add further to my review, the saber also works wonders as a baby calmer.

Me, my 6-day-old son, and my DSI. He'd been crying like a madman, and I'd seen lights catch his attention a few times, figured I'd try my US. Voila, calm baby. Clearly, the force is strong with this one.

-=Growing Arsenal=-
Gifted
Aeon v2 AS Purgatrix

Lord Ignasia
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: -13

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2011, 03:21:47 PM »

Haha, looks like you had better order a Dark Initiate for the little one ae? Tongue

Master Artorius Vidnyl
Resident Master
Forum Elder
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 759

Suns of the Force

« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2011, 03:25:28 PM »

You are already making an excellent father!

Knight Ensign

Dark Side Points, Please

« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2011, 06:36:27 AM »

Haha, looks like you had better order a Dark Initiate for the little one ae? Tongue

Suuure, the Dark Initiate will be for the kid... I'll just... Keep it in good shape until he's old enough *shifty eyes*.

Incidentally, if anyone needs a surefire way to get the look down pat for going to a con as a Sith... have a baby. The sleep deprivation of the first few weeks will sink those eyes right in, redden them up right. Fatherhood's wonderful, don't get be wrong, but I sure miss prolonged sleep (like, 2-3 hours+ all at once).

-=Growing Arsenal=-
Gifted
Aeon v2 AS Purgatrix

darth tratus
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -241

« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2011, 03:34:07 AM »

nice saber... love arctic blue

KettTares
Knight Apprentice

Force Alignment: 3

« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2011, 10:41:53 AM »

Arctic Blue is a very nice color option and goes very well with your Dark SI.  I also have to give you mad props for that Neo Geo MVS machine in the backround there, Samurai Showdown IV and Neo Geo FOR THE WIN! XD

Ultrasabers SI - Guardian Blue
Ultrasabers SI - Sunrider's Destiny
Ultrasabers Initiate V2 - Consular Green
Ultrasabers Aeon - Consular Green

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: