Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Crimson Reaper, Dominix v3 LE, Dark Initiate v3 (and collection)  (Read 5841 times)
James Casey
Forum Watchman
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1510

« on: November 23, 2013, 11:35:50 PM »

Hey all. It's been a few weeks since I received my latest order from Ultrasabers. Taking advantage of the recent sale/offer, I got a cheap Crimson Reaper, a grab bag and a free Initiate. Lots to look at, then!

Sadly, my camera wasn't working when I went to take my photos for this review, so we're making do with phone photos. They don't show the true colours of the blade as well as my camera would, but otherwise we're not missing too much.

So, first off, let's look at my my much anticipated Crimson Reaper. I ordered this in Sentinel Yellow, with a Fire Orange flash on clash. The AV switch (a first for me) is in Orange as well. It's my intention to eventually have a Reaper in Blazing Red with the same clash/switch, but I wanted the Crimson Reaper first after seeing some reviews of it on here in the past. The yellow and red, for me, look amazing together.

Sentinel Yellow, being a forum colour, still has some variation to it. The blade colour is a deeper golden-yellow on my blade then it seems here - there's a shot at the bottom of the review that's closer, but mine at least seems to be shading slightly towards orange. I still think it looks great on the hilt, but I don't want people to be misled over the colour just going off the photos here.

One problem I've had with the newer 'sabres is that they're pretty thick around, and the Crimson Reaper is probably the thickest in my collection, along with my Standard Issues. It's a straight hilt like the SI, no grooves like in the Manticore or Bellicose, and no obvious grip points below the ribbed collar.

That doesn't make it uncomfortable to use, but compared to my Bellicose, Prophecy or - I'll get to it - the Dominix, it doesn't have an obvious grip; You have to find your own, so it's a hilt you adapt to.

But I want to be clear that it's worth it, one hundred percent. Mine came with a 32" heavy grade blade, and for me this is a great choice. The hilt is a heavy one, but the weight of the blade balances it nicely. The length is just right, too. I'm 6' tall, but I prefer the slightly shorter blade. I have 30" blades on my Standard Issues, and they're slightly too short for single/dual-wielding, although fine for a staff.

The claws are fine for me. I know some people have had problems catching themselves with the claws, but so far I've been okay. I love the look of them - the Crimson Reaper looks so different to every other hilt in my collection. I definitely recommend it for anyone considering one, although I acknowledge that it's an acquired taste, as I had no interest in buying one myself for several months after I first discovered US.

Onto the Dominix v3.

This was my grab bag, Guardian Blue with a heavy grade 32" blade. I don't have a GB blade on any of my other hilts, so it was nice to get the 'classic' 'sabre colour. The silver grooves are a nice touch - my Aeon v2 is the LE version, and having both full-size hilts being the LE versions is a nice touch. I'm also inclined to think that all-black hilts are a little bland, and as I don't go in for customisation I'd recommend the LE version or an illuminated AV switch just to add a touch of colour - other than the blade, of course!

I think we're all familiar with the Dominix/Aeon line now. It's a wonderfully comfortable hilt to hold. The choke points feel great in my hands, and it's a definite evolution of the v2 - still simple and feels slender and uncomplicated, but at the same time you get a better grip. The choke points also offer a variety of grips, which is a nice option, although I suspect most will use the top grip for their main hand, and the lower grip for their off hand.

And so to the Dark Initiate.

This is the standard v3 hilt, no anodisation. I didn't ask for a covertec wheel on it, as this is going to be part of my eldest daughter's Christmas gift. She loves purple, and US were good enough to agree to send one with a Violet Amethyst LED, so thanks to Deep and co for that!

Much of what I've said about the Dominix applies to the Initiate. It does look a little bland, but I'm sure if my daughter's bothered by that we can do something in terms of customising it - a fun project for us both Cheesy She's more likely to be bothered by the lack of sound, having claimed my Shock as 'hers' on first seeing it.

The Initiate couples up nicely with the Dominix as a staff, LE/non LE clash aside. The covertec wheel on the Dominix actually sits almost exactly halfway along the combined hilt. I'd be slightly worried about having it look like a propeller to wear it on my belt though Grin

The Initiate also looks awesome at the top of a Yari extension.

If I can prise it away from my daughter, this may be how I use it in a duel. Even with an initiate blade in place, it's still well balanced.

So that's my three new acquisitions, and in terms of my collection...

...I'm now at 10. From left to right, in order of purchase: Aeon v2 LE in Pyrestone Orange, Bellicose in Arctic Blue, Manticore in Adegan Silver, Shock LE in Violet Amethyst, two Dark Standard Issues in Sunrider's Destiny, Prophecy in Violet Amethyst, Crimson Reaper in Sentinel Yellow, Dominix v3 LE in Guardian Blue and Dark Initiate v3 in Violet Amethyst.

*Phew*
« Last Edit: November 23, 2013, 11:44:56 PM by James Casey » Logged

"I'll split this world open and tear down the sky before I let him come to even the slightest harm."

Zren Tobas
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -2031

[Give Light Side Points!] [Give Dark Side Points!]

« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2013, 12:25:32 AM »

Nice sabers and collection. Love the Bellicose and Shock LE. Crimson Reaper looks good though.

Sabers: Liberator V3 CG ObsV4 sound!, Graflex GB, Overlord AB, Crimson Savior BR, Bane PO, Dark Initiate V2 LE BH, Shock GB, Archon V2.1 CG, Dark Sentinel LE GB ObSLite!, Standard Issue V3 CG, Dominix V3 LE BR, Sentinel SRD, Dominix V2 FO
Next sabers: Dark Prophecy BVA, Negotiator AS, Enigma EG, Brylark CE SY
[/url]SW1 by joshgarcia07[/url

Prowl 1701
Mentor of the Prophecy Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 830

We're all just dreams in the end...

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2013, 07:49:37 AM »

That's a nice collection you have going there JC!  And you are right about the Dominix choke points, I use the upper one for my dominant hand and the lower one for my off hand.

Darth Eclipse
Knight Ensign

Force Alignment: -45

PLEASE DARK SIDE POINTS ONLY!

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2013, 09:54:24 PM »

Very nice collection. Now to ask the impossible question. WHICH IS YOUR FAVORITE!? lol

Peace is a lie. There is only Passion.
Through Passion, I gain Strength.
Through Strength, I gain Power.
Through Power, I gain Victory.
Through Victory my chains are broken.

hazard502
Vanguard of the Archon Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2272

[Give Light Side Points!]

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2013, 05:07:34 AM »

Great review on these new sabers, and you made really good points about each.  Your collection is looking pretty nice there.  Really like looking at VA on a few different hilts, beautiful saber color.

Customized Flamberge/BR, Customized LostGray/HP or Tri-AS

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: