Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Author Topic: Noticing the unnoticed  (Read 8644 times)
CreepySeagulls
Knight Sergeant

Force Alignment: 1

« on: December 10, 2013, 11:00:00 AM »

So, I haven't posted anything for a while now as I've been busy applying for university. I've applied for an art course and as part of the application process I have to complete a project.

I have to do 10 observational drawings and then a further 10 pieces developing those ideas. All based around the theme of 'Noticing the unnoticed.'

Now, I don't want people throwing ideas at me, (though if anyone has any thoughts I'd love to hear them, I just can't use them as they're not my ideas) I already have some ideas on what I can do. If anything I'm looking for constructive criticism.

If anyone's willing to help out, post here and I'll post up my ideas. I'm not gonna ramble on about it if nobody's interested. Cheesy

Always remember that cute, cuddly teddy bears will most likely eat you alive, unless you can prove you're a god.

XtheXcodeX
Knight Templar

Force Alignment: 0

(order of the red jedi)

« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2013, 01:51:03 PM »

So, I haven't posted anything for a while now as I've been busy applying for university. I've applied for an art course and as part of the application process I have to complete a project.

I have to do 10 observational drawings and then a further 10 pieces developing those ideas. All based around the theme of 'Noticing the unnoticed.'

Now, I don't want people throwing ideas at me, (though if anyone has any thoughts I'd love to hear them, I just can't use them as they're not my ideas) I already have some ideas on what I can do. If anything I'm looking for constructive criticism.

If anyone's willing to help out, post here and I'll post up my ideas. I'm not gonna ramble on about it if nobody's interested. Cheesy
ok ^.^

Blades
Initiate LE v2 (AB)
Dominix v2 (EG)

please keep me grey!

Master Bluespike74
Guardian Prime
Vanguard of the Azure Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 977

As long as there is light, I will be here.

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2013, 06:33:17 PM »

I'll help you.  Count me in. 

Guided by the Aing Tii Monks

Shodan in Shaolin Kempo Karate/Kung Fu/Jiu Jitsu

Yes, I am a color:  BLUE

Xaeyon
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 129

読めるなら、連絡ください

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2013, 07:19:06 PM »

I'm intrigued; count me in!

GCW RP - Bothan Spc Tharu Tyy'n

Catalyst (CG) - Prophecy (VA) - The Beast (no blade)
Reading Textbooks; Playing Pokemon Alpha Sapphire

Master Lucien Kane
Resident Master
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 296

Jedi Knight of the Old Republic

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2013, 08:28:41 PM »

These types of projects are really fun.

Aletani
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -130

Dark Side Points Please

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2013, 12:12:16 AM »

It sounds great. I'd love to see what you can do. But what kind of critiques are you looking for? just regular feedback or composition/etc criticism?

CreepySeagulls
Knight Sergeant

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2013, 01:33:42 AM »

I'll take whatever help you guys can offer without stealing your ideas. Smiley I'll post everything up in the morning (it's half one in the morning here) as I'm on y tablet right now and would rather type on a actual keyboard. But thanks for the support. Smiley

Always remember that cute, cuddly teddy bears will most likely eat you alive, unless you can prove you're a god.

Waxman
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 114

« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2013, 03:05:38 AM »

I like to think outside the box so I'll try and give you some constructive criticism as well.  Smiley

Ultrasabers:
Bellicose-VA. Bane-BR. Consular-CG. x2 Initiate V3-SY. Aeon V3-GB. x4 Yari [Pike] Extensions.
Grab-Bag:
Aeon V3-GB. Dark Liberator V3-AB. Dominix V2-AB. Dominix V2-GB. Initiate V2-BR
Wishlist:
Manticore-PO. Dark Catalyst-Emerald. Shock LE-SY. Overlord-BR. Bellicose-VA. Archon-CG. Arbiter-AS.

CreepySeagulls
Knight Sergeant

« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2013, 01:35:54 PM »

Thanks guys.

So, one of my first things was to list a few things we take for granted. (This was half suggested by the university)

So I got;

Paper - could link to deforestation, as one of my pieces I could sculpt a tree out of paper.
Food - Too obvious I think
Attention - not sure what I could do with that.
Love/Family - not everyone takes this for granted but I know a few people that do.
And some other bits.

I also thought about what stuff genuinely does go unnoticed but we don't necessarily take for granted.

Symmetry and patterns in nature
Intelligence and achievement - often goes unnoticed by the people obsessing over celebrities and other stuff.
Animals in the street
Homeless people
Mental illness
Old people in retirement homes
The Black rhino - recently was declared extinct, nobody was really that bothered about it before.

Of those, my favourites are mental illness, homeless people and patterns in nature.

The other alternative was to simplify the whole thing and just draw a random object. Then either over exaggerate all the tiny details that people fail to notice or just remove them completely. Then draw the object a third time with the details removed from the main body of the image but instead have them floating around the edges.

My other other thought, was monsters under the bed. After this course I intend to go into illustration to learn about concept art for movies and video games, so drawing monsters is something that really appeals to me. I could easily get my 10 observational drawings if I based my monster off of a real life animal. The only downfall with this is that monsters (in the under the bed sense) don't actually exist, so I'm not sure whether I'd be allowed to do it or not. However, it could swing the other way and impress their pants off by thinking outside the box.

My other other other thought was along the lines of how we see animals as pets, but those animals' prey sees them as big scary monsters. For example, a cat from the eyes of a mouse, I can also tie this in with taking the fact that we're at the top of our food chain for granted.

It's probably important to mention at this point that whichever path I choose to take, all ten of my drawings must be of THE SAME THING. So if I chose to draw a tree trunk for patterns in nature, I'd have to do 10 observational drawings of that tree trunk and then 10 pieces expanding those ideas, all of the same tree trunk.

So yeah, that's my project. I appreciate the help, like I say, if you have any ideas, I'm happy to hear them just can't use any of them. If I can get a scanner working I can post everything when it's all done so you guys can see.

Thanks for the help, points for all. Smiley

Xaeyon
Knight Commander

読めるなら、連絡ください

« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2013, 02:25:02 PM »

"Attention" instantly made me think of "misdirection" that magicians employ; someone looking one way when they should be noticing something else (dangerous, hindering; think sirens of the Oddessy).

Another aspect of "attention" could be people who pay too much attention to the (small) negatives, or just don't appreciate what's good around them.

Otherwise I totally dig the whole domestic animals from two perspectives, that sounds awesome! Plus you won't probably get stuck thinking for 10 examples.

Master Bluespike74
Guardian Prime
Vanguard of the Azure Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 977

As long as there is light, I will be here.

« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2013, 02:31:03 PM »

My best advice is to stick to something that you know best or can easily research.  You have made some really great points concerning mental illness and animals. 

Guided by the Aing Tii Monks

Shodan in Shaolin Kempo Karate/Kung Fu/Jiu Jitsu

Yes, I am a color:  BLUE

Aletani
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -130

Dark Side Points Please

« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2013, 04:54:36 PM »

Thanks guys.

So, one of my first things was to list a few things we take for granted. (This was half suggested by the university)

So I got;

Paper - could link to deforestation, as one of my pieces I could sculpt a tree out of paper.
Food - Too obvious I think
Attention - not sure what I could do with that.
Love/Family - not everyone takes this for granted but I know a few people that do.
And some other bits.

I also thought about what stuff genuinely does go unnoticed but we don't necessarily take for granted.

Symmetry and patterns in nature
Intelligence and achievement - often goes unnoticed by the people obsessing over celebrities and other stuff.
Animals in the street
Homeless people
Mental illness
Old people in retirement homes
The Black rhino - recently was declared extinct, nobody was really that bothered about it before.

Of those, my favourites are mental illness, homeless people and patterns in nature.

The other alternative was to simplify the whole thing and just draw a random object. Then either over exaggerate all the tiny details that people fail to notice or just remove them completely. Then draw the object a third time with the details removed from the main body of the image but instead have them floating around the edges.

My other other thought, was monsters under the bed. After this course I intend to go into illustration to learn about concept art for movies and video games, so drawing monsters is something that really appeals to me. I could easily get my 10 observational drawings if I based my monster off of a real life animal. The only downfall with this is that monsters (in the under the bed sense) don't actually exist, so I'm not sure whether I'd be allowed to do it or not. However, it could swing the other way and impress their pants off by thinking outside the box.

My other other other thought was along the lines of how we see animals as pets, but those animals' prey sees them as big scary monsters. For example, a cat from the eyes of a mouse, I can also tie this in with taking the fact that we're at the top of our food chain for granted.

It's probably important to mention at this point that whichever path I choose to take, all ten of my drawings must be of THE SAME THING. So if I chose to draw a tree trunk for patterns in nature, I'd have to do 10 observational drawings of that tree trunk and then 10 pieces expanding those ideas, all of the same tree trunk.

So yeah, that's my project. I appreciate the help, like I say, if you have any ideas, I'm happy to hear them just can't use any of them. If I can get a scanner working I can post everything when it's all done so you guys can see.

Thanks for the help, points for all. Smiley

I know for me as a watercolor artist, botany shows many different patterns and symmetry. Flowers are beautiful and their minute details often go unnoticed. You could do something of a study of a certain symmetrical flower, and you could continuously make more detailed or close up drawings, the entire plant from pistils to bulb, then the flower as you'd see it in nature, then a study of the stem, bulb, or blossom, etc, progressively getting down to the cellular level if you wished.

That's my two cents. Smiley

Great ideas all around tho. I'd say go with something you really enjoy, so if it's monsters, go for it. You're going to do your best on something you truly enjoy learning about or drawing. Good luck!

Xaeyon
Knight Commander

読めるなら、連絡ください

« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2013, 05:10:51 PM »

I know for me as a watercolor artist, botany shows many different patterns and symmetry. Flowers are beautiful and their minute details often go unnoticed. You could do something of a study of a certain symmetrical flower, and you could continuously make more detailed or close up drawings, the entire plant from pistils to bulb, then the flower as you'd see it in nature, then a study of the stem, bulb, or blossom, etc, progressively getting down to the cellular level if you wished.

I think the one problem if you want to go there is that its not really an unappreciated subject. Many artist go for symmetry in nature and those progressively smaller windows. Everyone kinda knows its already there, which almost excludes it from the topic of "noticing the unnoticed".

If you want to do the nature thing, you're better off doing something that finds patterns that make something completely different. You want to really push the idea of something thats not really there.

Everyone sees a Dalmatian in this picture, but the point is that in actual fact there are no contours to show the boundary of legs and back (etc.). Subjectively, there is no Dalmatian and its just a bunch of dots. 
So if you were to do nature, maybe take photos of branches, or clouds, or space (!) and false-colour the images to make it into some unnoticed subject, one not there before you're made to notice it.

CreepySeagulls
Knight Sergeant

« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2013, 08:48:13 PM »

Wow, you guys are clever. I knew it was a good idea to ask you. They're all really cool thoughts. I still haven't decided which I'll go for yet, as it's a case of working out how practical each will be.

Deceptae
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -90

Power, Passion, Strength

« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2013, 09:28:21 AM »

i still see no dog.

anyway i doubt you (read i) could streatch 20 drawings from this idea so here it is:

i sometimes hang out with some of my local hobos and have noticed that while they miss some luxuries they are mostly content and arguably happier than many middle-class individuals who focus on keeping up with the Joneses and what-not

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: