Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
Author Topic: What style do I use?  (Read 13459 times)
Sapherno11
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: -4

Don't worry, I'm still a Sith

« on: December 21, 2013, 07:02:17 PM »

I know this is a rather generic question, but I really want to know. I'm somewhat familer with Star Wars, but not to the depth that the others on this site are. To describe it myself, I would say its a blend of Makashi, Ataru, and Djem So

When I fight, I tend to move, and not remain stationary. My style tends to be fluid, alternating between powerful attacks, or more finesse attacks, using control to either deflect the opponents blade to miss, or just straight out block. I use the blade and tip on equal terms. I tend to block in this order. I'll deflect more often then not, if can't deflect, I'll dodge the attack, if I can't dodge the attack, I'll use a power block. While the saber is always in motion, I always look for an opening, and attack where the opportunity arises. I also will sometimes force an opening to appear by controlling the opponents blade, making them block certain angles to open others to attack.

I know its really hard to describe a fighting style without actually SEEING it, but even a rough estimation would do. I'm also more then happy to answer questions to help narrow this down!

All things are brought into ruin.
The Living will faill.
Seas will dry.
Planets will fall.
Sith will break.
Jedi will fail.
Stars will darken.
All things come unto ruin.
I am Darth Ruin.

Master Uilos
Resident Master
Knight Captain

Force Alignment: 121

Snark Jedi

« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2013, 08:14:22 PM »

Actually, you mention blocking and deflecting a lot, including waiting for an opening and using fluidity and dexterity to evade.

In all honesty, I think your form is grounded in Soresu.

Keep in mind, you can blend the forms, using different schools of thought depending on a situation. But we all have an innate core. Mine is Shii Cho as I tend to charge in head first.

Pedantic Lightsaber Philosopher. Stage Combat Junkie. Cranky New York Street Mage.

Master of the Snark Side of the Force

Long Live The Fighters

Sapherno11
Knight Lance Corporal

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2013, 08:19:44 PM »

That would make a lot of sense...

Because of the way I trained myself, I consider myself a "weapon master" Not in the sense that I have mastered everything, but I can pick up and literally use just about anything and use it effectively as a weapon. Spear, long straight sword, curved swords (both Katana and the Scimitar and Saber (like Calvery Sabers XD) Daggers, various other hand weapons, quarter staff...My style will change on what opponent I fight, and what their style is, the more mine changes to battle theirs.

But doesn't Soresu put a emphasis on staying stationary, as "a moving target provides more openings to attack?"

Then again, if It was a blend of Soresu and Ataru.....

Ah! I'm out of my depth here!!!!

The Living will faill.
Seas will dry.
Planets will fall.
Sith will break.
Jedi will fail.
Stars will darken.
I am Darth Ruin.

Master Uilos
Resident Master
Knight Captain

Snark Jedi

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2013, 08:23:17 PM »

That would make a lot of sense...

Because of the way I trained myself, I consider myself a "weapon master" Not in the sense that I have mastered everything, but I can pick up and literally use just about anything and use it effectively as a weapon. Spear, long straight sword, curved swords (both Katana and the Scimitar and Saber (like Calvery Sabers XD) Daggers, various other hand weapons, quarter staff...My style will change on what opponent I fight, and what their style is, the more mine changes to battle theirs.

But doesn't Soresu put a emphasis on staying stationary, as "a moving target provides more openings to attack?"

Then again, if It was a blend of Soresu and Ataru.....

Ah! I'm out of my depth here!!!!

Soresu is pretty active. It's referred to as a hurricane, a moving mass of energy with the user of it being particularly centered amidst the chaos. Djem So is often depicted as being stationary in regards to the other forms

Pedantic Lightsaber Philosopher. Stage Combat Junkie. Cranky New York Street Mage.

Long Live The Fighters

Sapherno11
Knight Lance Corporal

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2013, 08:27:23 PM »

Yeah, I'm reading the Discourse right now, and Soresu describes my fighting style VERY accurately.

The only difference I see is I don't always keep the blade close to my body, I'll utilize longer range strikes as well if possible.

Other then that, its Highly accurate!!

Thanks guys, I appreciate the  feedback. Now I just need to practice, and hone the tactics with the Dominix 2!
« Last Edit: December 21, 2013, 08:35:10 PM by Sapherno11 » Logged

The Living will faill.
Seas will dry.
Planets will fall.
Sith will break.
Jedi will fail.
Stars will darken.
I am Darth Ruin.

Master Uilos
Resident Master
Knight Captain

Snark Jedi

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2013, 08:36:08 PM »

Yeah, I'm reading the Discourse right now, and Soresu describes my fighting style VERY accurately.

The only difference I see is I don't always keep the blade close to my body, I'll utilize longer range strikes as well if possible.

Other then that, DAMN is it accurate!!!!!

Remember, we're going on a fluid description. You don't have to meet every criteria, but the core of your form sounds very form three, with flavors of the others you mentioned mixed in.

Long Live The Fighters

Sapherno11
Knight Lance Corporal

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2013, 02:14:46 AM »

Yeah, that's a very good point, thank you Smiley

I'm just glad I have something that I can narrow down and focus on. I firmly believe that the strength of a warrior comes from within, NOT the weapon he (in my case anyways) holds. However, I also believe each and every weapon can Teach you, even if only a little, as to how to use it. Now that I have an actual saber, I can focus inward, and focus on Soresu's description when I fight, and thus hone that particular skill set, though I will also practice all the others as well Smiley

Again, thank you guys SO much for the feedback, really helped!!!!

The Living will faill.
Seas will dry.
Planets will fall.
Sith will break.
Jedi will fail.
Stars will darken.
I am Darth Ruin.

You_already_lost
Knight Apprentice

Force Alignment: 10

Light side points please.

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2015, 12:02:22 PM »

Take this quiz to find out which style you should use:

http://www.gotoquiz.com/what_form_of_lightsaber_combat_do_you_use_3

I fight in Ferocity form.

"Now,who said that?"

Sapherno11
Knight Lance Corporal

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2015, 04:38:15 PM »

Lol, its an interesting idea, but when you've trained yourself to fight a certain way, that takes priority. Also to be fair, the discourse written about the seven forms seems to have a lot more backing to it then a simple quiz. Again, not that a quiz like that would be easy to make, ts really cool!

My main style is Soresu, with flavors of Makashi, Ataru and Djen Sho.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2015, 04:48:28 PM by Sapherno11 » Logged

The Living will faill.
Seas will dry.
Planets will fall.
Sith will break.
Jedi will fail.
Stars will darken.
I am Darth Ruin.

arklore70
Knight Sergeant

Force Alignment: 14

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2015, 08:28:14 PM »

I just took the quiz:
84% Makashi
74% Niman

While I would love to say I am great at/wanting to block blaster bolts and reflect them back, my professional upbringing has dodging and diving for cover ingrained into muscle memory. 

I am pretty new to all of the style terms, so this should be some fun reading.
r/
Ark

If not me...who?
If not now...when?
Wish List: Graflex-Obsidian Sound,GB or EmeraldManticore-Emerald-Obsidian Sound, Emerald B+R
Chosen One SE-Obsidian Sound, BR
Dominix v4 LE-Obsidian Sound, BR
Initiate v4-Obsidian Sound, GB
Dark Initiate v4-Obsidian Sound, BR
Initiate LE v4-Obsidian Sound, CG

Sapherno11
Knight Lance Corporal

« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2015, 10:57:00 PM »

Mhm, its amazing to read and discover.

Did the other characteristics of the style match how you fight with a blade, aside from diving for cover? (which honestly if you can't see the future is probably the best bet!)

The Living will faill.
Seas will dry.
Planets will fall.
Sith will break.
Jedi will fail.
Stars will darken.
I am Darth Ruin.

Sypho Ruut
Knight Captain

Force Alignment: 58

Light side.. just

« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2015, 01:44:03 AM »

Interesting, i got 82% shii-cho and 54% djem-so, which sounds pretty in keeping. I find that a mixture of K.I.S.S. (keep it simple, stupid) and the counterattack especially useful.

This is especially true for me in a bind, i prefer either to disengage or use footwork to clear my blade, i'm not at all a fan of the contest of strength

Owned;
 Flamberge-BR/emerald/BR-obsidian
 Dark Liberator-GB

Want;
 Mantis in BH
 Archon in AB
 Monarch in SY

arklore70
Knight Sergeant

« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2015, 01:39:21 AM »

Mhm, its amazing to read and discover.

Did the other characteristics of the style match how you fight with a blade, aside from diving for cover? (which honestly if you can't see the future is probably the best bet!)

The match is hard to compare to what I have learned using sword and shield primarily or bayonet.  Seek cover and return fire was ingrained in me at 18 when somebody gets the jump on you.  NO matter how good you are, so amateur gets lucky once in a while and can get the jump on you.

r/
Ark

If not me...who?
If not now...when?
Wish List: Graflex-Obsidian Sound,GB or EmeraldManticore-Emerald-Obsidian Sound, Emerald B+R

Sapherno11
Knight Lance Corporal

« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2015, 06:29:35 PM »

Mhm, makes sense, although, I could see Soresu being a possible match.

Instead of using your sword AND shield, the lightsaber becomes Both. Your blocks are your shield, and when you see an opening, it becomes your sword once again, until you switch to shield.

The Living will faill.
Seas will dry.
Planets will fall.
Sith will break.
Jedi will fail.
Stars will darken.
I am Darth Ruin.

arklore70
Knight Sergeant

« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2015, 05:50:07 PM »

I had did consider that.  What I need to do is study each form more in depth, to really get a better understanding.

If not me...who?
If not now...when?

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: