Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Rumor Patrol: Denzel Washington is Green Lantern in ‘Batman vs. Superman’  (Read 4330 times)
Kham-Ryn Kurios
Sentinel Prime; Knight of the HoloNet Order
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 1723

I am Mr. Yellow.

« on: December 28, 2013, 04:53:32 PM »

The Batman vs. Superman rumors will not die, and at the moment the focus seems to be on the continued rumors that the Man of Steel sequel will serve as a launchpad for a Justice League movie by introducing multiple superheroes from the DC Comics universe. We know that the principal players will be Henry Cavill’s Superman and Ben Affleck’s Batman, but with Fast & Furious 6 actress Gal Gadot playing Wonder Woman, it’s clear that two heroes will not be all we get in the next film.

Recent rumors have pointed to additional characters like The Flash, Nightwing, Lex Luthor and Doomsday being all being possibilities for BvS, with actors like Bryan Cranston, Adam Driver, Jason Mamoa, Joaquin Phoenix and even Denzel Washington all rumored to be in consideration for film. Well, one of those aforementioned actors is once again having his name circulated around the rumor mill – albeit for a much different role than originally thought.

Now a few weeks ago we had a rumor that Denzel Washington was up to play Lex Luthor in Batman vs. Superman. That rumor set off some massive waves of fanboy (and really general pop-culture) debate about whether Washington was a fit for the role, if Luthor’s racial identity should be altered, etc. It was an intriguing notion, if nothing else. However, according to Nuke the Fridge‘s sources, Denzel isn’t up for the role of a villain, but rather a hero: Green Lantern (and former marine) John Stewart.

Denzel Washington as John Stewart?

Many people outside of fanboy circles know Stewart as THE Green Lantern, thanks to the popularity of DC Universe’s Justice League cartoon. In fact, it was actually a point of confusion for many non-comic book fans when the 2011 Green Lantern movie tried to introduce longtime comic book Green Lantern Hal Jordan (Ryan Reynolds) into the DC movie universe. The lukewarm response to that film left Warner Bros. in a strange place with the franchise, not confident enough in the brand to launch a direct sequel, but still stuck with an incarnation of GL that was fresh in fan’s minds (but not in a good way).

Ever since Man of Steel hit theaters and the never-ending Justice League movie rumors really started to circulate again, it’s been a looming question of how DC/WB would fit characters like Batman and Green Lantern – both of whom had major films in the last five years – into a rebooted continuity. We got our answer to the Batman issue with the casting of Ben Affleck, but Green Lantern (a much less popular character in the mainstream) has been a big question mark.

The introduction of John Stewart, then, would make sense, logistically: new Green Lantern for a new continuity. Not just a new GL, but one who is already widely known and one who brings some much needed ethnic diversity to the table (without having to “race switch” a white character). The role also makes sense for an actor of Denzel’s caliber; John Stewart’s story arc (as a marine, then an architect, then a Green Lantern) is layered and complex, the character himself is deep, noble and complicated, and his military background (combined with his architect precision) makes him one hell of formidable and inventive Green Lantern. In short: not only would this casting offer something sweet for Batman vs. Superman, it would be a strong foundation for a later film franchise centered around the character.

The Green Lantern Corps

For now though, this is all RUMOR. Fans have certainly had other ideas about who should play Stewart (rapper/actor Common was given the role in the late ’00s Justice League movie that never happened, while Idris Elba’s name gets nominated for it every other week); but the one thing that is generally agreed upon is that the character needs to be included in the film universe at some point. If there is any merit of truth to this (either the exact casting or simply the reality that the character will be introduced) then the next question will be whether or not Ryan Reynolds’ version of Hal Jordan is gone for good, or could he be re-introduced somewhere down the line? (In the comics, Hal and John work together often.)

Finally, this rumor is no doubt going to continue to spark fan criticism that this Man of Steel sequel is turning into a “low rent Justice League movie.” However, I have never believed that all of these characters being introduced would be a major part of the film; if I had to guess, the movie will focus no the two poles of the DC Universe (Bats and Supes) and then, near the end, use their union as the call to other heroes like Wonder Woman or Green Lantern to unite in a Justice League. And if that’s indeed the case, DC will come in and score the greatest “button scene” moment of all time.

Batman vs. Superman will be in theaters on July 17, 2015

Sauce: http://screenrant.com/denzel-washington-green-lantern-batman-superman-2015/comment-page-1/#comment-968681

/LIGHT SIDE POINTS PLEASE\
‎Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Kham-Ryn Kurios
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

I am Mr. Yellow.

« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2013, 05:00:04 PM »

I dig this, but I think Idris Elba looks EXACTLY like Stewart. Then you can cast Denzel as Martian Manhunter, we already introduced the idea of aliens, why not throw in another?

John Stewart is an architect, which makes me wonder if he will be a part of the reconstruction of Metropolis.

« Last Edit: December 28, 2013, 05:53:27 PM by Kham-Ryn Kurios » Logged

‎Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Oramac
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -256

Dark Side, please. I like the cookies.

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2013, 06:10:17 PM »

Am I the only schlub who liked Ryan Reynolds as Green Lantern?  Course, I liked him as Deadpool too.  Maybe I'm just cursed to like the actors everyone else hates.  lol.

Anyway, I generally think Denzel does better playing a bad guy than a good guy, but I'm optimistic about him being Green Lantern.  I think he could pull it off. 

I give stealth points.  You may get one without ever knowing it! Muwahaha!

Dark War Glaive - Blazing Red/AS FOC [or FO/VA FOC]
Initiate v3 with Obsidian - Blazing Red
Initiate v3 - Consular

Kham-Ryn Kurios
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

I am Mr. Yellow.

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2013, 06:18:48 PM »

Am I the only schlub who liked Ryan Reynolds as Green Lantern?  Course, I liked him as Deadpool too.  Maybe I'm just cursed to like the actors everyone else hates.  lol.

Anyway, I generally think Denzel does better playing a bad guy than a good guy, but I'm optimistic about him being Green Lantern.  I think he could pull it off. 

You are not alone sir.

Reynolds was a good Hal, the same way that Affleck was a good Murdock. Hopefully, Reynolds will be back as Deadpool, as he has been a huge driving force behind trying to get a movie made; a script was leaked a while back and was pretty well received by those that read it. With that in mind, the real struggle here is that DP is a pretty violent and foul character, R rated superhero films have not done well in the past.

TheHobbitofDune
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 473

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2013, 02:30:12 AM »

Looking at this from DC/WB's point of view, I doubt that John Stewart will be their go-to guy as far as Green Lantern is concerned. The fact is that the age of Justice League and Justice League Unlimited is over and done with, and those guys have made a huge push to get Hal Jordan back into the leading role so to speak. There is evidence for this in both the New 52, and recent DC animated movies, not to mention the live-action adaptation we practically just had. It is doubtful that they will just turn their backs on all of that and go back to the shelf where John Stewart sits alone and dusty. Though with the failure of the aforementioned movie, combined with the huge outcry from the fandom, it might be possible that they'll reconsider.

As far as Denzel Washington goes... well, the man is certainly a good actor, though I could never get into the movies he has starred in, nor can I get into any of the roles that he has played. None of them sit well with me for some reason. Though, Man on Fire was pretty good.

I was originally in the Idris Elba/John Stewart camp, but the more I think about it, the more I feel that he would be better utilized in the role of J'onn J'onzz, and this is simply due to the fact that Idris is a man who is both wise and formidable in many different ways, and these are two traits that he brings with him to every role he plays. While this would serve John Stewart's personality (and mannerisms) nicely, I feel that it would work best with J'onn, especially the version of him that we got in the animated Justice League TV series.

Let Denzel take on the role of John Stewart, IF Warner Bros. chooses to go that route. If not, Ryan Reynolds will certainly be able to carry his weight as Hal Jordan. I too thought he was great for that role, but let's be honest, when an actor is handed a crappy script and bad directorial directions, he/she will always suffer no matter how good they are. I'm sure that with the new leadership, Ryan will flourish. Same goes for Gal Gadot.

As for the very idea of there even being a J'onn J'onzz... well, I feel that the opportunity to cast him is one WB should consider with utter seriousness. Yes, the guy is obscure. Yes, he might be harder to get right than even Wonder Woman. But it is time for WB to grow a pair and start taking initiative. They need to be more willing to take chances, and to do the things they are capable of, if only they have the guts to pull the trigger and green-light new movies.

I sincerely hope that Ant-Man and Guardians of The Galaxy will both do well at the box-office, because that might inspire confidence in WB. When one comic book movie succeeds, everyone wins, no matter which part of the divide they're in: DC, or Marvel.

Master Rel
Game Master
Knight of the Consular Order
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 1884

Martial artist, fabricator, chef, resident Ortolan

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2013, 10:05:14 PM »

I am liking Denzel Washington for the Green Lantern role  Smiley

Light side points please Smiley

Darth Raymonus
Knight Apprentice

Force Alignment: -5

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2013, 04:35:10 AM »

I like Idris Elba and I think he would make and awesome John Stewart.  I have thought than since i first saw him in Prometheus.

Darth Raymonus
Dark Side

Sabers I own:
Dark Standard Issue battle saber v3/sound-Blazing Red/Fire Orange FOC
Archon V2.1/sound-Violet Amethyst/Silver FOC
Consular /sound-Consular Green/Silver FOC
Grab bag Initiate v2 and v3 in Guardian Blue

Master Rel
Game Master
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2013, 04:59:59 AM »

You are not alone sir.

Reynolds was a good Hal, the same way that Affleck was a good Murdock. Hopefully, Reynolds will be back as Deadpool, as he has been a huge driving force behind trying to get a movie made; a script was leaked a while back and was pretty well received by those that read it. With that in mind, the real struggle here is that DP is a pretty violent and foul character, R rated superhero films have not done well in the past.

I liked GL.

I liked DD.

I am beside myself with meh over Deadpool...the idea of an immortal unkillable assassin has absolutely zero appeal to me in any sense of a superhero role...I know I am alone in this sith loving world but Deadpool is one that I might wait for the cable release or DVD...and that is saying something as I watch anything super related.

Undecided

Darth_Phobius47
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -176

Hawkbat 5

« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2013, 03:46:11 PM »

I like Jon Stewart GL, but you know who has NEVER got any screen time? Kyle Raynor!!!! He needs to be in the limelight. I was HOPING that he would be in Green Lantern: TAS but Cartoon Network doesn't like having good shows and ended it after only 1 season.

One day he will be recognized....(sigh) I miss Razer.

My Arsenal

Dark Arbiter w/sound custom~EG/AS
Dark Standard v3~FO
Dark Liberator v3 (bro)~CG
Initiate v3 (sis)~VA
Grab Bag: Dark SI v3 vert grooves~BR
Consular w/sound~BR/FO
Menace SE w/sound~CG/FO
Raffle prizes: Graflex w/sound~GB/AS
                    Malice w/sound~BR/VA

Master Rel
Game Master
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2013, 08:54:10 PM »

I like Jon Stewart GL, but you know who has NEVER got any screen time? Kyle Raynor!!!! He needs to be in the limelight. I was HOPING that he would be in Green Lantern: TAS but Cartoon Network doesn't like having good shows and ended it after only 1 season.

One day he will be recognized....(sigh) I miss Razer.

The real issue with Rayner is he looks too much like Jordon...confusing for the mundanes.

Sad

Kham-Ryn Kurios
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

I am Mr. Yellow.

« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2013, 09:19:51 PM »

The real issue with Rayner is he looks too much like Jordon...confusing for the mundanes.

Sad

I hope they introduce Stewart and elude to Hal being off world patrolling the sector.

Then they could build their own cosmic brand like Marvel is with 'Guardians of the Galaxy' and call it 'Green Lantern Corps.'

That would be really cool, but like you said "...confusing for the mundanes."

Master Rel
Game Master
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2013, 09:23:24 PM »

Green Lantern Corps...hmmm indeed!

With many many many of the weird and wonderful variety found within the same!

TheHobbitofDune
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 473

« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2013, 11:04:06 PM »

A Green Lantern Corps. movie could easily rival (and even best) a Star Wars movie. It's something WB should definitely consider.

Master Rel
Game Master
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2013, 11:32:56 PM »

Speaking of Green Lanterns...Rodians popped up in another thread which led to this gem...

...and then unto this...

...then this lovely little piece...

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: