Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Poll
Question: Should we further define the Force Users by their connection/use rather than mission statement?
Yes...Light, Dark, and Grey Force Users
Yes...but I want a better name to define them
Yes...I will provide my thoughts in the comment section
No...I prefer titles such as Jedi and sith

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Author Topic: Defining the nature of Force Users  (Read 11544 times)
Master Rel
Game Master
Knight of the Consular Order
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 1876

Martial artist, fabricator, chef, resident Ortolan

« on: December 31, 2013, 02:36:39 PM »

Should we further define the Force Users by their connection/use rather than mission statement?

Meaning of course the Jedi and sith vs a more general defining thought such as Light or Dark or Grey.

The Jedi would be a faction within the Light Force Users, for example instead of all Light Force Users being some title of Jedi.

Light side points please Smiley

Deceptae
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -89

Power, Passion, Strength

« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2013, 04:08:10 PM »

I think that Dark, Light, and Grey are the most broad "categories" which can be divided into Jedi, Sith, Aing Tii, Nightsisters, and other "factions". The factions could be further devided into "sects" such as Revanites, Brotherhood of Darkness, One Sith, Living Force, Potentium, etc.

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.

Master Rel
Game Master
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2013, 04:14:49 PM »

I think that Dark, Light, and Grey are the most broad "categories" which can be divided into Jedi, Sith, Aing Tii, Nightsisters, and other "factions". The factions could be further devided into "sects" such as Revanites, Brotherhood of Darkness, One Sith, Living Force, Potentium, etc.

True.

And when a character in question is not a Jedi or a sith to the tee, they should be called something else...which is my point  Smiley

Deceptae
Knight Commander

Power, Passion, Strength

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2013, 05:30:39 PM »

Like a rogue?

Master Rel
Game Master
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2013, 05:54:09 PM »

Like a rogue?

Like not a Jedi or a sith.

lol

Deceptae
Knight Commander

Power, Passion, Strength

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2013, 06:20:34 PM »

What if there were an entire Potentiate order? I would be all up in there.

Master Rel
Game Master
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2013, 08:53:13 PM »

Potentiate as in...to make potent or powerful...to enhance or increase the effect of (a drug)...to promote or strengthen (a biochemical or physiological action or effect)?

Is that some sideways comment to say a hippie/hipster druggie Force user community?

Hmmm...

Master Rel
Game Master
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2013, 08:53:36 PM »

...No.

Deceptae
Knight Commander

Power, Passion, Strength

« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2013, 11:19:04 PM »

No like followers of the Potentium theory of the Force. Check the wook

Master Rel
Game Master
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2014, 08:30:44 AM »

No like followers of the Potentium theory of the Force. Check the wook

(clipped)

Counter to millennia of Jedi teachings, the followers of Potentium claimed that there was no inherent evil in viewing the Force. They claimed that what others called the light side of the Force was actually just the Force itself, which was inherently good. This was backed up by the fact that Ashla, the ancient name of the Force, came later to describe the light side. What others therefore called the dark side was a perversion of the Force, twisted by those who used it.

Believers of Potentium said that the potential for light and dark sides resided in the user, not the Force itself,[1] and that the Jedi are merely afraid to explore the full potential of the Force.[2] They also thought that the Jedi Masters refused to believe in the Potentium view because it would mean the Jedi were not needed to fight evil, for evil would not exist. And since there was no dark side, there were no dark side actions or Force techniques; in effect any action, good or evil, could be performed without risk as long as the intent was not evil. Some Jedi theorized that the Potentium may have originated as a Sith scheme to subvert Jedi teachings.[1]

About a century before the Battle of Naboo, the followers of Potentium were expelled from the Jedi Order, parallel to the Jedi Order's treatment of Gray Jedi as "misguided." Yoda and the rest of the Jedi High Council did not consider them Dark Jedi, but they said it was the duty of the Jedi to use the Force to protect others, not study its absolute limits. The Council said that testing the Force to its limits would lead to the dark side.

It should be noted that some followers of the Potentium still attempted to avoid the dark side. They, however, saw the dark side as something within themselves to be avoided, not something in the Force. They reasoned that if the Force was the energy that flows through all life, the dark side simply came from the corruption of humanity. They felt that if they could be perfectly moral, they could be immune to the dark side and therefore use any technique they wanted. This view is somewhat similar to the Unifying Force theory of the Force.

(clipped)

Lol but, you wrote Potentiate...which is something completely different Smiley

po·ten·ti·ate
transitive verb \pə-ˈten(t)-shē-ˌāt\
po·ten·ti·at·edpo·ten·ti·at·ing
Definition of POTENTIATE
:  to make effective or active or more effective or more active; also :  to augment the activity of (as a drug) synergistically

po·ten·ti·ate  (p-tnsh-t)
tr.v. po·ten·ti·at·ed, po·ten·ti·at·ing, po·ten·ti·ates
1. To make potent or powerful.
2. To enhance or increase the effect of (a drug).
3. To promote or strengthen (a biochemical or physiological action or effect)

I do agree that a Potentium Jedi Order would be well received, especially by our sith hugging fellow forumites!

They would still be Jedi because of their desire to do good for others rather than any selfish pursuits.

Smiley

Deceptae
Knight Commander

Power, Passion, Strength

« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2014, 01:15:06 PM »

Exactly. It would significantly reduce Sith hugging i think. Still plenty of high fiving though 

Xaeyon
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 127

読めるなら、連絡ください

« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2014, 12:35:46 AM »

I think your D&D comparison is quite accurate, unlike calling Forceusers by their religion, it tells us nothing about their personality, goals or the way they approach a problem/the Force. It's like saying all Democrats are elitist (at least I think that's the stereotype; blame the Simpsons and Family Guy, not me).
I'm guessing an 2 or 3 dimensional table would work quite well. I'm just not sure what the middle ground of Neutral actually means, especially when it comes to "True Neutral".
Maybe a more descriptive and SW-themed table should be brainstormed.

GCW RP - Bothan Spc Tharu Tyy'n

Catalyst (CG) - Prophecy (VA) - The Beast (no blade)
Reading Textbooks; Playing Pokemon Alpha Sapphire

Master Rel
Game Master
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2014, 09:13:04 AM »

I think your D&D comparison is quite accurate, unlike calling Forceusers by their religion, it tells us nothing about their personality, goals or the way they approach a problem/the Force. It's like saying all Democrats are elitist (at least I think that's the stereotype; blame the Simpsons and Family Guy, not me).
I'm guessing an 2 or 3 dimensional table would work quite well. I'm just not sure what the middle ground of Neutral actually means, especially when it comes to "True Neutral".
Maybe a more descriptive and SW-themed table should be brainstormed.

Agreed, at least here for our purposes.

True neutral is a rare thing, especially regarding player characters...because they just are not motivated by much except balance...good and evil means nothing to them.

Chaotic Neutral is another tough one, the only thing you can trust is not to trust them...if played correctly being CN means blurting, random actions, and completely irrational behaviors.

Deceptae
Knight Commander

Power, Passion, Strength

« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2014, 11:11:08 AM »

Like Capitain Jack Sparrow or something?

Xaeyon
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 127

読めるなら、連絡ください

« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2014, 08:17:48 PM »

I'd say Capt'n Jack is chaotic-good. If it's truly irrational behaviour with no concept of good and evil, I'd more likely think of a clinically unbalanced individual with no agenda.

GCW RP - Bothan Spc Tharu Tyy'n

Catalyst (CG) - Prophecy (VA) - The Beast (no blade)
Reading Textbooks; Playing Pokemon Alpha Sapphire

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: