Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Rumor Patrol: Will Dwayne Johnson Play Green Lantern John Stewart?  (Read 2057 times)
TheHobbitofDune
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 473

« on: January 03, 2014, 11:12:15 PM »

One can tell if the anticipation for a movie has reached peak levels when even the most tangential piece of information about its development can spark a small Internet firestorm. Such has been the case with the upcoming sequel to Man of Steel, the film still going by the placeholder name Batman vs. Superman.

In previous weeks, rumors and counter-rumors regarding various actors and characters involved with the production have flown thick about the Web. One of the most persistent involves actor Dwayne Johnson (Fast and Furious 7) speaking with DC Comics regarding a mystery role in their evolving film universe. Now, yet another tenuous rumor connects Johnson to a role previously whispered to be going to Denzel Washington – that of the Green Lantern, John Stewart.

Writer Peter Georgiu of ThinkMcFlyThink shared the rumor that Johnson is being considered for the role of John Stewart earlier today via Twitter feed:

Rumor: I didn't hear this directly, but it's floating around behind the scenes in the industry: @TheRock is up for JoHn Stewart. Shrugs.

— Peter Georgiou (@Peterg_TMT) January 2, 2014

Later, Georgiu clarified that the information is a rumor heard “… through the industry grapevine,” but is hardly confirmed. He acknowledged that the assertion is currently nebulous, but that also that the rumblings were interesting enough that he, “… thought if [he] put it out there, people would look into it.”

The rumor has been given some strength by a Tweet exchange dusted off by Comic Book Movie, in which Johnson seemed to hint at being in talks for the role of Green Lantern. Though it dates from April of 2013, scuttlebutt has apparently put Johnson in contact with DC Comics regarding an eventual film role.

Given even the initial source’s acknowledgement of this rumor’s tenuousness, it should be taken only after overturning an entire salt shaker. Nonetheless, it’s an interesting proposition that merits a bit of pondering.

John Stewart has long been characterized (in both his comic book and animated incarnations) as the most straight-laced and military-minded of the human Green Lanterns. This makes Johnson a curious choice for the role, given that a straight adaptation of the character would strip away the grinning swagger that made Johnson so compelling a ringside presence during his days in the WWE.

This is not to say that Johnson would be bad for the role – even after appearing in many mediocre films, the former wrestler remains a consistently engaging screen presence. Additionally, his recent turns as a taciturn federal agent in the Fast and Furious franchise show that he can play grim stoicism just as well as he can goofy bravado.

Until any kind of hard evidence or confirmation of this rumor floats to the surface, we at Screen Rant will treat it more as a fun thought experiment than something to worry over. Any role for The Rock in the DC film universe would be a coup – whether it’s as a heroic space cop or as an anti-heroic space bounty hunter.

___

Batman vs. Superman will rock theaters on July 17th, 2015.

Source: Twitter [via Comic Book Movie]

Jev Moldara
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1280

The Mad Professor

« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2014, 01:12:01 AM »

I'd simultaneously laugh and cry if they were considering him for the role of Lex Luthor.

Mad Science means never stopping to ask "What's the worst that could happen?"

Nothing is forgotten. Nothing is ever forgotten.

Kham-Ryn Kurios
Sentinel Prime; Knight of the HoloNet Order
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 1723

I am Mr. Yellow.

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2014, 01:39:42 AM »

I'd simultaneously laugh and cry if they were considering him for the role of Lex Luthor.

I can see it, especially with the People's Eyebrow, but he is the perfect actor for Black Adam.

/LIGHT SIDE POINTS PLEASE\
‎Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Jev Moldara
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1280

The Mad Professor

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2014, 02:39:35 AM »

I could see him as Killer Croc as well.

Mad Science means never stopping to ask "What's the worst that could happen?"

Nothing is forgotten. Nothing is ever forgotten.

RLYHYPERGUY
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 178

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2014, 12:28:39 AM »

He would be a very cool Black Adam! We need a Captain Marvel/Shazam though.

TheHobbitofDune
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 473

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2014, 04:17:55 AM »

He would be a very cool Black Adam! We need a Captain Marvel/Shazam though.

Screen Rant already addressed this: http://screenrant.com/shazam-movie-killed-by-man-of-steel/

They made a very good point too: "However, even if the child-turned-hero would offer Henry Cavill’s Man of Steel a worthy adversary on film, there’s no avoiding the fact that audiences have seen a similar fight once already. Not to mention that trying to launch two similar heroes would at the very worst have Shazam! pale in comparison, and at the very best split audiences for either movie."

DC/WB needs to focus on preparing for a Justice League movie as well. Shazam isn't a part of that. He can come later, much in the same way as Ant-Man, but for now it would not be a good idea at all to introduce him, and by extension, Black Adam.

(That being said, I would love to watch a Shazam movie for multiple reasons)
« Last Edit: January 05, 2014, 04:23:16 AM by TheHobbitofDune » Logged

RLYHYPERGUY
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 178

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2014, 04:32:29 AM »

Screen Rant already addressed this: http://screenrant.com/shazam-movie-killed-by-man-of-steel/

They made a very good point too: "However, even if the child-turned-hero would offer Henry Cavill’s Man of Steel a worthy adversary on film, there’s no avoiding the fact that audiences have seen a similar fight once already. Not to mention that trying to launch two similar heroes would at the very worst have Shazam! pale in comparison, and at the very best split audiences for either movie."

DC/WB needs to focus on preparing for a Justice League movie as well. Shazam isn't a part of that. He can come later, much in the same way as Ant-Man, but for now it would not be a good idea at all to introduce him, and by extension, Black Adam.

(That being said, I would love to watch a Shazam movie for multiple reasons)

I know.  Sad

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: