Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Down
Author Topic: How I make PVC shrouds for my sabers: Photo Tutorial  (Read 104202 times)
Joshie-Wahh
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: 21

« Reply #75 on: March 15, 2016, 01:40:23 PM »

Ok, thank you, wasn't sure, but I might not need to add length after all, the blade builders Obi wan card is tiny Smiley

sadalsuud
Force Sensitive

Force Alignment: 1

« Reply #76 on: March 21, 2016, 04:21:51 PM »

any pics? Undecided Undecided Undecided Undecided

Calculon
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 435

We Will Win!

« Reply #77 on: July 12, 2016, 04:41:05 PM »

Sorry if anyone considers this a necropost. The pvc shrouds came up and I gotta give credit where its due. Excellent tutorial and my sincere gratitude for doing it. This is something im seriously considering doing here soon with the shroud material from that shop. The pvc with how easy it is to work with and replace... stuff to think about. Great job on the post.

The Wolfpack Lives!

srams
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 375

Speak softly and carry a big saber...

« Reply #78 on: July 16, 2016, 04:13:35 AM »

Thanks!! Smiley and I've been meaning to try the (other guy's) shroud material too.

"I will always oppose the Darkness, but I will never hesitate to defend myself from the Light..."

"I looked my demons in the eye and said, do your best to destroy me. See, I've been to hell and back so many times I must admit you kind of bore me."

moorecreative
Force Sensitive

Force Alignment: 3

« Reply #79 on: September 04, 2016, 03:42:12 AM »

How did you finish up this shroud, or others that you've made?

One thing I'm curious about is what you've found as the best type of paint to use on PVC. What coats the best without running or pooling? What coats without remaining sticky or scratching off too quickly?

I'd love to hear about the end style you'd achieved!

OOH, too, how about the screws, since they were needing to be longer to go through the shroud pvc layer and into the saber hilt, did you find specialty screws or decorative/unusual head thumb screws ?

Giglamesh
Knight Ensign

Force Alignment: -62

« Reply #80 on: December 21, 2016, 02:08:05 AM »

I got everything else ready, but I'll be damned if I'm not having a hard time finding the 35sch thickness PVC pipe. Tried 3 hardware stores and none of them have 35 only 40, my shroud was gonna be effing sweet also. T_T

Owned: custom Renegade LE Saberpike (blazing red), Consular stunt (green)

Wish list: Reaper (banes heart any finish), Menace (any color any finish)

DarthEijji
Knight Aspirant

Force Alignment: -13

« Reply #81 on: February 06, 2017, 03:52:38 PM »

Thank you srams for this. I could not for the life of me find the correctsizeherein nycso i used yourmethod with a brass sink pipe instead. Turned out great. Cedit given wherecredit is due.

I am no Jedi.
Saber collection
Dark InitiateV4 - BR/Fulcrum - VA/Lost Gray - SRD/Aeon LE V2 - FO/Dark Liberator V3 - BR/Sentinel V4 - FO/Archon V2.1 - AS.

... coming soon.

TheDutchman
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1106

« Reply #82 on: April 20, 2017, 06:34:59 PM »

I thought I'd share some knowledge here, this is a simple way that I make my PVC shrouds for my sabers. I don't have all the latest or greatest shop tools, and I doubt most of us do. This is a photo tutorial, I'll try to narrate the best I can, bear with me...

Note this only works for US sabers 1.45" in diameter, most of the lower end, more affordable sabers, should work. V3 initiates/dominix/aeon sabers only. V2 sabers are too narrow for sched. 35, sched. 40 may work for the V2's but I'm not sure.

To start here's the materials I start with:

And the tools that I do have to use. More commonly accessible to most of us I hope. What you don't see are safety glasses and a dust mask. I absolutely recommend using them. I did, even though they aren't shown here.

First step, cut the edge as straight as you can. I use masking tape to get a straight edge. Then draw on the PVC overlapping the tape with a sharpie. Remove the tape and cut along the line you just drew. I use my Dremel with a thin kerf emory cutting wheel to make all cuts in the PVC.

Then get a cardboard paper towel tube. Flatten it in half, draw your design on it, keep in mind it will expand when you make the tube round again, so draw your design with that in mind, you want to avoid making it too small or too big in proportion to the PVC.

Cut out your design with scissors or a razor. If you design it in such a way it should be symmetrical when you make the tube tube shaped again.

Open the tube so its tube shaped again, cut your design straight down the spine, put it around your PVC, then tape it up. Then trace the cardboard tube on the PVC.

I use my emory wheel, and sanding wheels to cut and finish the PVC.

After its cut use the sanding wheels to clean up the cuts. You will probably spend a lot of time on this step.

The final piece should resemble your cardboard cut out.

Then after its all clean and pretty place it over your saber it should fit nice and snug. If its tight, use some sand paper on the inside of the shroud.

You can then color it any way you like.

Here's another shot with another lower shroud I made using this technique.

I'm going to try this with a metal sink tube soon, I'll reply back as to how well or not it works.

I hope this helps anyone who wants to try making custom shrouds! I'm always happy to answer questions, and I'm always open to criticism, and of course praise! Wink

Srams, that is AWESOME.  I really like the (relative) simplicity of the operation.  Have you tried the procedure w/ other materials?  Just wondering about tedium vs. medium (sorry, not trying to be a poor poet...)

Sig courtesy of DarthScrub

Cataphract Triarch of the Vhal'Dan

My sabers:Zearic's Aldrnari, Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, AS; Zearic's shoto, Apprentice v4 w/Obsidian, AS; Graflex SE w/Obsidian, GB; Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, CG; Dark Sentinel v4 w/Obsidian, BR; Sentinel LE v4 w/Obsidian, GB; Initiate v5 w/Obsidian, AS; Sentinel LE v4 stunt, EG; Aeon LE v4 stunt, FO; Dominix v4 stunt, BR; Aeon v3 stunt, SY

Therion Jinn
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -1426

May The Force Serve You Well

« Reply #83 on: April 21, 2017, 02:17:55 AM »

This kind of reminds me of the two full PVC prop hilts I built before my first purchase here at US.
Very useful info

Lady Agana Kath
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -2130

Go Red or Go Home

« Reply #84 on: July 02, 2017, 02:29:37 PM »

Indeed, very useful. I will have to attempt this at some point.

Current Collection: http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=36545.0   Want List: Menace CE, Graflex SE   
Darkside Points Please

OAK1971
Knight Sergeant

Force Alignment: -13

Say When

« Reply #85 on: September 15, 2017, 03:34:56 AM »

Good info! I will have a chopsaw inbound soon and will have many uses for it now. Grin

All is as the Force wills it. I am one with the Force and the Force is with me.

MandolorianJedi
Force Sensitive

Force Alignment: 1

« Reply #86 on: September 29, 2017, 08:15:46 PM »

Hey I'm new here and I have a dominix and an aeon that I would like to customize via your method. I have the 1.25 40 pvc pipe that you suggest might work and I watched another video that confirms that it should work, however it seems to make the hilt is a bit "thick". Now maybe it will feel better to me once its finished but is there anything else i could use that is simple to cut and manipulate that might also be thinner. Ive heard of sink pipe maybe? Any feedback would be extremely helpful, thanks!

Therion Jinn
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -1426

May The Force Serve You Well

« Reply #87 on: September 30, 2017, 02:37:04 AM »

See about getting yourself some thin walled PVC

DiZziMage
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: -61

“In the midst of chaos, there is also opportunity”

« Reply #88 on: October 30, 2017, 12:35:38 AM »

Wow this is sweet!  I will def be trying this soon

Sabers Owned:

ELECTRUM WIND (SY)
DARK INITIATE LE V4 (VA)
DOMINIX V3 (FO)

ZekeTheGameFreak
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: 20

« Reply #89 on: January 23, 2018, 08:13:37 PM »

Would this method work for a dark apprentice? I'm trying to make a replica saber for a character I rp as on another forum.
Also how does the PVC stay on the hilt?

There is Passion, yet Peace
Serenity, yet Emotion
There is Chaos, yet Order
The is no Dark or Light only the Force

Purchased Sabers: Dark Apprentice V4 Obsidian LITE/ Fire Orange
                       Dark Apprentice V4 stunt/ Blazing Red
                       Dominix V4 Stunt/ Blazing Red
                       Initiate V4 Stunt/ Blazing Red
                       Apprentice V4 Stunt/ Guardian Blue
Light Side points please, should the Force guide you to.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: