Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Batman vs. Superman: Bryan Cranston Confirmed as Lex Luthor?  (Read 1985 times)
Kham-Ryn Kurios
Sentinel Prime; Knight of the HoloNet Order
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 1723

I am Mr. Yellow.

« on: January 07, 2014, 05:42:24 PM »

For weeks now speculation about the Batman vs. Superman movie has been focused on the hero side of things. The casting of Gal Gadot as Wonder Woman caused a big stir, and rumors have followed since then, pointing to heroes like Green Lantern and Cyborg possibly being played by the likes of Denzel Washington or Dwayne Johnson. Needless to say that’s kept the fanbase occupied, in terms of discussion topics.

Before all the hero rumors, however, focus was mostly on the villain of the film, who has always been assumed to be Lex Luthor. That rumor thread has run so long and encompassed so many actors – Bryan Cranston, Mark Strong, Joaquin Phoenix – and again, Denzel and Dwayne Johnson – that people has mostly just taken solace in the fact that we are getting A Lex Luthor, without so much worry about WHO it is.

But now some one is claiming to be in the know about the official casting – and they’re claiming it is Cranston.

Watch what Amasian News has to say about the casting:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AC-Lq9ub0uo" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">×^</a>

If you believe their sources, the oldest Batman vs. Superman villain rumor may turn out truest, who knew?

I, for one,am not cheering for this particular casting (I’ll need to see it confirmed first before I fully buy in, as well). Cranston is a great character actor and deserves this level of success (and the money they claim he’s being paid – he’s been working long and hard in the biz) – but I don’t know if his presence is what will make for the best Batman vs. Superman movie.

Sure, people are imagining seeing Walter White from Breaking Bad as the nefarious mastermind villain whose intellect rivals Superman’s brawn – it’s an easy association to make. But when hearing names like Denzel Washington (or especially Joaquin Phoenix), a lot of the excitement was admittedly over the thought of a different and more subtle take on Lex.

We’ve discussed it often on the site and our podcast: A Lex Luthor who is charming and intelligent and sophisticated business mogul in public, but ruthless psychopath demagogue behind closed doors? That’s a Lex we have yet to see, and the more pronounced bi-polar shifts of Mr. White/Heisenberg weren’t as attractive as the slow burn descents of Denzel in Man on Fire or Joaquin in The Master.

Still, we can’t complain too much; if Denzel is of age and physique to play Lex, so is Cranston, and both actors are great at what they do and would be far from the worst picks for the role. In short: Lex is in good hands if any of this rumoring turns out to be true.

Batman Costume Confirmed?

The other part of Amasian’s report claims that Ben Affleck’s Batman costume will be based on the design by famous comic book artist Alex Ross, whose work you can check out below:

Should THIS rumor be true, it would fit in line with Kevin Smith’s previous hints that the new costume was a piece of classic Batman comic design brought to life onscreen – as well as with our own Andrew Dyce’s prediction that the Alex Ross/Jim Lee design (final photo in the gallery above) would be the most likely Batman Costume Snyder would use. (That Screen Rant crystal ball is always ahead of other sites’ “inside sources…”)

However, if Batman is wearing his underwear on the outside – as seen in the Alex Ross design – then could that Superman costume re-design we heard about actually be more toward the more classic look and away from the collared armor look of the modern New 52 era? Even if both heroes have their underoos on the inside, I don’t think many people would complain if the vintage look made a comeback.

The oldest Batman vs. Superman rumor may turn out truest, who knew?

Batman vs. Superman will be in theaters on July 17, 2015.

Sauce: http://screenrant.com/bryan-cranston-lex-luthor-batman-superman-movie-2015/
« Last Edit: January 07, 2014, 06:27:55 PM by Kham-Ryn Kurios » Logged

/LIGHT SIDE POINTS PLEASE\
‎Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Kham-Ryn Kurios
Sentinel Prime; Knight of the HoloNet Order
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 1723

I am Mr. Yellow.

« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2014, 05:43:47 PM »

They also go on to speak about what kind of Batman we may see in the film.

I certainly hope all this is true.

/LIGHT SIDE POINTS PLEASE\
‎Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Master Rel
Game Master
Knight of the Consular Order
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 1884

Martial artist, fabricator, chef, resident Ortolan

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2014, 07:54:32 PM »

Bryan Cranston would be a great choice in my opinion for several reasons...gritty, good actor, and currently on the radar of many people including many non-traditional fans who may have never read a comic book but would instantly know him to be a villain.

The Rock as Cyborg...yes...yes...and wait for it...yes.

DW as Green Lantern, sure, works for me.

It is coming together nicely...

Light side points please Smiley

TheHobbitofDune
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 473

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2014, 01:46:40 AM »

It's a bad move in my honest opinion. Breaking Bad is known by everyone and their grandma at this point, and that goes for Bryan Cranston as well, especially since he is the poster boy of the show. It would be far too easy to associate his Lex with the character he played in the show, even for those who want to believe in his portrayal of him. I'm sorry, but the typecasting has happened. He may be vastly popular and deserving of all honors, but that's not going to be enough to erase memories.

I say they should go with Joaquin Phoenix instead. Not only is he much younger, but as Gladiator has shown us, the man knows how to play one hell of a sly, cunning, and downright evil little bastard pretty well. That's perfect for Lex.

But if this turns out to be true, then it's not going to be the end of the world. Bryan Cranston may not be my first or even second choice, but the man is a damn good actor, and at the end of the day that's all that really matters I suppose.

Master Rel
Game Master
Knight of the Consular Order
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 1884

Martial artist, fabricator, chef, resident Ortolan

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2014, 04:07:04 AM »

All that about Bryan is true but you forget the one aspect that I was considering...not only does everyone know who the actor is and the famous character he played, they the general public like him.

To be liked means extra ticket sales.

Extra tickets sales to be expected means more budget.

If the producers think they will make more money then they will commit more.

Phoenix is a great actor...his value after Her should be interesting to see if it goes up or down.

I vote for Bryan.

Or...my actual first and only choice for Luthor...if I were the casting guy then this would be my go to guy...

Billy Zane for the Lex win!

Light side points please Smiley

TheHobbitofDune
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 473

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2014, 02:38:23 AM »

See, I never think in terms of money (which is probably bad considering I'm majoring in marketing...) My bad Smiley

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: