Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Author Topic: Problem with Obsidian Launcher in Windows 8.1  (Read 8844 times)
Knightfall
Knight Apprentice

Force Alignment: -10

« on: January 12, 2014, 03:55:30 PM »

Hi all, newbie from the UK here. I got my first Ultrasaber at the beginning of December (Nickel-Plated Guardian Emerald) which is awesome. I installed the latest version of the Obsidian Launcher on my computer (running Windows 8.1) and was able to connect the saber and change the blade colour, foc etc. with no problems. Then the saber was put away until Christmas. Between Christmas and now i was able to open the launcher without the saber connected and the soundboard configuration screen appeared. Then last week when i finally had a chance to have a proper go with it, i connected the saber to the computer, but when i went to open the launcher nothing happened. I turned the saber on, plugged in the USB, clicked on the launcher but it wouldn't open.

I have since tried uninstalling and re-installing the launcher several times (as an administrator) but no luck. The files are there, the shortcut is there but it's like the launcher itself isn't there. I tried it on my computer at work (running XP) and that worked fine. But no luck at home.

Has anyone else had this problem or come across it and have any ideas as to what the problem is? At the moment i am baffled. Any help at all would be great.

Cheers guys.

Knightfall
Knight Apprentice

« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2014, 12:00:55 PM »

I have now got the launcher working, but purely by accident. I had to create another account on the computer and once i had set it up i tried the launcher not thinking it would actually work. But it did. The new account is not an administrator account but the launcher works fine. But for whatever reason it still will not work on the main administrator account. Very strange, but at least i can now use the launcher.

Brian64
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 149

This is a fertile land, and we will thrive

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2014, 12:50:23 PM »

Windows 8.1... I think I'll personally be giving that one a miss.

Microsoft follows the Star Trek movie rule (for the first half dozen movies) only the alternates are any good.

Eg ST 2,4,6 - great! ST1, 3, 5 - give them a miss,

Windows 98, XP, 7 - no problem! Windows ME, Vista, 8... not so much.

The other general rule I've read and follow is; never upgrade until at least the first service pack is released, and I waited until XP sp2 myself. Microsoft don't pay me to be a beta tester for their buggy piles of crap.

Not sure how this helps at all, but I do a lot of work that involves adaptive technology for vision impaired people, and Windows 8 (&8.1) introduced a whole bunch of problems for people using magnification software. So whenever I see issues that involve Win8/8.1 now the silicon chip inside my head gets switched to overload. Smiley

Light side points please

Darth Cephalus
Supreme Heresiarch of Inadvisable Saber Techniques
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -915

Who watches the watchmen?

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2014, 03:51:07 AM »

After I saw this, I tried it but still no dice as a workaround for me. Anyone else have any other work arounds work for them on Windows 8.1?

Choco
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 53

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2014, 09:39:57 AM »

I saw this and its a little concerning as my only pc is running 8.1 and my first sound and emerald saber is in the mail and should be here by tuesday

[img width= height=]http://sigs.enjin.com/sig-swtor/c021b8deb34e1a14.png[/img]

Sabers I own

Emerald 4 channel Manticore
Dark Standard Issue - BR (grab bag)
Liberator - FO (Grab bag)

Knightfall
Knight Apprentice

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2014, 03:21:31 PM »

I don't know if it was just my computer as it worked the first time i tried it when i got the saber. It was only when i tried it a few weeks later that it didn't work. So far it is still working on the second account on the computer.

Darth Cephalus
Knight Commander

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2014, 08:10:52 PM »

I saw this and its a little concerning as my only pc is running 8.1 and my first sound and emerald saber is in the mail and should be here by tuesday

This is not the only thread for this issue. A lot of people are having trouble with it, so prepare for the eventuality. My saber just refuses to connect to the launcher. Actually all of my sabers refuse to connect to the launcher. They connect on my wife's Windows 7 computer so I edit them there, but I have found no work around for my Windows 8.1 machine.

Knightfall
Knight Apprentice

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2014, 10:24:11 AM »

With mine it wasn't that the saber wouldn't connect, it was that the launcher itself would not run. I only got it working by accident when i set up a different account for the kids, without any administrator rights, and it worked on that account.

Darth Cephalus
Knight Commander

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2014, 08:03:45 PM »

There is also a third error I have been hearing about in other threads where the software opens but has a fatal error and closes again. All in all, it seems to really hate Windows 8.1.

Choco
Knight Commander

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2014, 04:25:21 PM »

i wonder if it would work if you would run another os of windows say xp or 7 via virtual pc to use that instead of 8.

i should be recieving my saber from the mail later today (4 channel emerald Manticore) so I may give that a try and get back to you guys if I too run into some problems.

Sabers I own

Crowman76
Knight Ensign

Force Alignment: -144

Only the choices we make affect the path we follow

« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2014, 07:06:23 PM »

i downloaded the new launcher on my windows 8 laptop and all was fine, but it would not open when i click on the icon, so i tried again and the program still did not work when i downloaded it the second time, but after a few attempts and a clean up using Malwarebyte Anti malware it stated to work. one week later it stopped working, after trying to uninstall it and getting told it was open did i look in task manager and see it showing, i have done a system restore to the original download and ran all i ran before when it worked but still nothing apart from whats in task manager. i then gave my partners win 7 a try.... no joy
my end solution was to dig out my old windows xp tower and try it on that aand so far all working fine

DARK SIDE POINTS ONLY PLEASE
Scorpion in PO with AS FOC
Arcon v2.1 in CG with AB FOC
Bellicose in SY with FO FOC
Aeon V3 in CG (stunt)
Dominix LE v2 in BR
Consular in DVA with silver FOC

Darth Cephalus
Knight Commander

« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2014, 09:27:31 PM »

i wonder if it would work if you would run another os of windows say xp or 7 via virtual pc to use that instead of 8.

i should be recieving my saber from the mail later today (4 channel emerald Manticore) so I may give that a try and get back to you guys if I too run into some problems.

That is my next stop as well. Windows 8 has a virtual machine program called Hyper-V. Now I just have to dig up a copy of windows 7 to stick in it, though, going off the last post, I might want the virtual running xp instead just in case.

Spike311
Knight Officer

Force Alignment: 21

Silence is golden. Duct tape is silver.

« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2014, 12:54:03 AM »

Besides Win 8 being the newest OS, what are it's potential "upside" to Win 7? I feel for the new US customers that have Win 8 and are experiencing problems. Brian64 said it best "Win 98, XP and 7" good. Win 2000 and ME, I can attest that they suck. No opinion on Win 8 as I have been warned to stay away from. With so many having the same problem, a "step by step" from Win 8 user's like Knightfall, that has failure then success, might prove invaluable?

Knightfall, I would post your problem/remedy here for all Win 8 users. Congratz to you for getting it to work. And Choco too.

Proud founder and member of the JTC (Jedi Technician Council)

Lightsabers:
Icons Skywalker Lightsaber #4795/10000
Hasbro Obi-Wan TPM (Signature Series)
Ultra Saber Emerald Manticore (2CH B-G) with Obsidian 3.0

Choco
Knight Commander

« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2014, 01:08:43 AM »

Thanks for me oddly enough after a reinstall of the program and a change in usb cable it's working on my machine without too many problems. It gives me afew hiccups here and there but for the most part so far so good here

I'm really not sure why Windows 8 has this issue I mean this is the only program that I use that has issues with the OS. All my other programs work with it no problem

Sabers I own

Spike311
Knight Officer

Force Alignment: 21

Silence is golden. Duct tape is silver.

« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2014, 01:18:45 AM »

Thanks for me oddly enough after a reinstall of the program and a change in usb cable it's working on my machine without too many problems. It gives me afew hiccups here and there but for the most part so far so good here

I'm really not sure why Windows 8 has this issue I mean this is the only program that I use that has issues with the OS. All my other programs work with it no problem

Choco, yourself and Knightfall might need to to post explicit instructions for anyone else running Win 8. Glad your problem is now solved. Have you tried running your favorite blade color and ran a a movie type "flicker" yet? The Emerald is beyond awesome! You will love this feature. Set your primary color to 255 and your secondary (same color) at 210. Set all 4 pulse timings to 0.02s and then turn on  your favorite Star Wars movie! Smiley AWESOME!!!

Proud founder and member of the JTC (Jedi Technician Council)

Lightsabers:
Icons Skywalker Lightsaber #4795/10000
Hasbro Obi-Wan TPM (Signature Series)
Ultra Saber Emerald Manticore (2CH B-G) with Obsidian 3.0

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: