Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Anyone play Skylanders?  (Read 4023 times)
srams
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 375

Speak softly and carry a big saber...

« on: February 04, 2014, 02:48:54 PM »

So this last year I turned 30 on Dec 24th. Dec. 25, Christmas, I opened my big crazy gift to find out it was a Nintendo Wii. Skylanders edition. I looked at my wife like "really, this is little kids stuff" but she was super excited to give it to me so I didn't actually say that. To give you some perspective, the last game co sole I got for Christmas was the original NES. Like I said... I'm 30.

So anyway I've been totally hooked.  Played the crap out of it and bought some new characters. And then yesterday at the local Target, they have the new Swapforce starter pack for $39.99!!! Man, I felt 10 years old again. So of course I bought it.

Anyone play it, by them selves or with their kids? I'll totally play with my kid but she's too young for now.

"I will always oppose the Darkness, but I will never hesitate to defend myself from the Light..."

"I looked my demons in the eye and said, do your best to destroy me. See, I've been to hell and back so many times I must admit you kind of bore me."

Darth Kitsune
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -236

There is no Peace, there is only Passion...

« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2014, 02:50:26 PM »

I'd be willing to play the game, if it weren't for the fact that I need to spend 8-10 dollars on the figurines that are basically children's toys to play a video game. It's a money-grubbing business practice that is unique but not worth my time. I'd rather play a game where I unlock more characters in the game by reaching achievements. $40 is enough for the game itself.

Master Rel
Game Master
Knight of the Consular Order
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 1884

Martial artist, fabricator, chef, resident Ortolan

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2014, 03:16:28 PM »

Spoken like a sith, hate on anything that is not your thing lol.

If someone enjoys a gift from their wife or kids then that is all that a gift or gift giver can hope for IMO.

Play on player!

Light side points please Smiley

kewlkev360
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 232

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2014, 04:37:32 PM »

So this last year I turned 30 on Dec 24th. Dec. 25, Christmas, I opened my big crazy gift to find out it was a Nintendo Wii. Skylanders edition. I looked at my wife like "really, this is little kids stuff" but she was super excited to give it to me so I didn't actually say that. To give you some perspective, the last game co sole I got for Christmas was the original NES. Like I said... I'm 30.

So anyway I've been totally hooked.  Played the crap out of it and bought some new characters. And then yesterday at the local Target, they have the new Swapforce starter pack for $39.99!!! Man, I felt 10 years old again. So of course I bought it.

Anyone play it, by them selves or with their kids? I'll totally play with my kid but she's too young for now.

You are NEVER too old to play with toys.

srams
Knight Commander

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2014, 05:04:35 PM »

You are NEVER too old to play with toys.

True! I still buy legos... and lightsabers! As we age our toys just get more expensive.

And, Kitsune, yeah I don't really like spending the $ on figures either, but $10-15 per figure is way better than $40-60+ for a new game. Each figure changes the game play just enough to make it new and exciting again. These games are more about playing the characters than the actual story. I had Giants, but now I have to play the new Swap Force. I'll be playing that one for a long time.

"I will always oppose the Darkness, but I will never hesitate to defend myself from the Light..."

"I looked my demons in the eye and said, do your best to destroy me. See, I've been to hell and back so many times I must admit you kind of bore me."

JEStucker
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 340

Founder - The Underfunded Force (Light Points)

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2014, 05:05:48 PM »

What is Skylanders?

I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar!

Dominix v2 Fire Orange
Aeon v3 Guardian Blue/Obsidian

srams
Knight Commander

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2014, 05:16:34 PM »

What is Skylanders?

First of all, it is marketed to kids, but its fun, and I'm not the only adult who plays it. I swear.

Its a game where you have an external "portal" you plug into your game consel where you place different figurines onto and depending on the figurine, that's who you play as in the game. Your characters can level up and upgrade their abilities. The draw back is you buy each character, they can range between $10-15 from what I've seen. The characters have different elemental abilities, like water, fire, air, etc. And there are I think the # now is 167 different characters. It started with Spyro's Adventure, Then Giants, now Swap Force. Swap force is sweet, you swap the top half and bottom half of any two swapers and get the abilities of both guys. It's set in kind of a fantasy, almost steam punk type world. Google Skylanders IGN. They have tons of info.

BenPass
Knight of the Consular Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 690

Jedi Consular

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2014, 05:43:15 PM »

Honestly, I think the game looks to be an enjoyable break from mindless slaughtering in modern games! The cost has held me back from participating beyond the occasional mobile game in the series, but I must admit that it looks fun!

May the Force be with me? Sure! It can come along!
"Lux triumphat super obscurum" - "Light triumphs over darkness"

JEStucker
Knight Commander

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2014, 05:49:02 PM »

So... no PC version?

Dominix v2 Fire Orange

srams
Knight Commander

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2014, 03:30:54 AM »

So... no PC version?

No. Normally I'd be there with you. I used to only play PC games, but since my wife got me this Wii I'm looking for more Wii gamed.

I just bought two new Swap Force guys. This damn game is getting all my saber money.

JEStucker
Knight Commander

« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2014, 04:48:29 AM »

Yeah... last console I bought was a PS2... and that was the year the PS3 came out, and I bought it used.  I'm just not a console gamer, don't know why, but they just don't hold my interest as well as PC versions of things.  I think my daughter has a Wii that she bought when she moved out, but I've never messed with it.

Dominix v2 Fire Orange

Darth_Phobius47
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -176

Hawkbat 5

« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2014, 02:03:33 PM »

Skylanders was so successful that 2 other companies decided to make similar games with the "buy new figures and change the gameplay" concept. Angry Birds 2 does this for iPod/iPad, and Disney has one for all it's movie characters. The Disney one looks like it could be interesting. So does Skylanders, but like was mentioned earlier, I'm not willing to pay extra for new figures.

Besides, the only games I ever play anymore is ToR and some random 360 non-Call of Duty games (Elder Scrolls, Saint's Row, etc.)

My Arsenal

Dark Arbiter w/sound custom~EG/AS
Dark Standard v3~FO
Dark Liberator v3 (bro)~CG
Initiate v3 (sis)~VA
Grab Bag: Dark SI v3 vert grooves~BR
Consular w/sound~BR/FO
Menace SE w/sound~CG/FO
Raffle prizes: Graflex w/sound~GB/AS
                    Malice w/sound~BR/VA

srams
Knight Commander

« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2014, 06:40:10 PM »

If my Wii hadn't been the skylanders edition, I never would ha ve batted an eye at it. I'd definitely be playing CoD or whatever else it out there now. I may buy SW FU2, and maybe AC. We'll see.

Darth Kitsune
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -236

There is no Peace, there is only Passion...

« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2014, 06:45:57 PM »

Spoken like a sith, hate on anything that is not your thing lol.

If someone enjoys a gift from their wife or kids then that is all that a gift or gift giver can hope for IMO.

Play on player!

Psh. I don't hate Skylanders. I just think it's a waste of money. I'd rather subscribe to an MMO if I'm going to waste money on a game over and over again.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: