Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Author Topic: Help making a saber from scratch?  (Read 8069 times)
Darth Sovereign
Knight Aspirant

Force Alignment: -2

Dark side, please.

« on: February 11, 2014, 06:38:54 AM »

What it says in the title. I essentially need help with making a lightsaber. I don't have much credits, and I'd rather not buy a fully made hilt from an online store, or anything like that. I'm looking to make a lightsaber out of scratch, red, if it helps. I'd rather have it a stunt (no sound) and it should be durable as I'd be sparring with it.

So could anyone help? A guide of some sort or, better yet, a guide in text as a reply? It'd be much appreciated, thanks.

BenPass
Knight of the Consular Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 690

Jedi Consular

« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2014, 06:43:28 AM »

Hi there, here's a great thread that can help you out!

http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=11521.0

May the Force be with me? Sure! It can come along!
"Lux triumphat super obscurum" - "Light triumphs over darkness"

Master Bluespike74
Guardian Prime
Vanguard of the Azure Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 977

As long as there is light, I will be here.

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2014, 06:55:18 PM »

Are you wanting an empty hilt and then install the electronics or do you want to start with some random piece of pvc or metal and go from there?

Guided by the Aing Tii Monks

Shodan in Shaolin Kempo Karate/Kung Fu/Jiu Jitsu

Yes, I am a color:  BLUE

Darth Sovereign
Knight Aspirant

Dark side, please.

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2014, 02:53:29 AM »

Hi there, here's a great thread that can help you out!

http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=11521.0

Yeah, that guides looks pretty good! But I'm not looking for an electrical lightsaber. I want a stunt one. Essentially a hilt and something sturdy to duel with, so PVC or some sort of really sturdy wood.

BenPass
Knight of the Consular Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 690

Jedi Consular

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2014, 02:55:21 AM »

Ah, my mistake. In the saber game, stunt usually refers to a saber without sound as you mentioned, but it is typically still an electronic saber (light, switch, battery, etc.).

Might I suggest purchasing an empty saber hilt from US and one of their blades? Even without electronics, it would be very durable Smiley

May the Force be with me? Sure! It can come along!
"Lux triumphat super obscurum" - "Light triumphs over darkness"

Darth Sovereign
Knight Aspirant

Dark side, please.

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2014, 09:34:07 PM »

Ah, my mistake. In the saber game, stunt usually refers to a saber without sound as you mentioned, but it is typically still an electronic saber (light, switch, battery, etc.).

Might I suggest purchasing an empty saber hilt from US and one of their blades? Even without electronics, it would be very durable Smiley

Eh, I'm trying to stay out of the sphere of purchasing. Maybe a question would help. What could I make a durable hilt out of for a single bladed saber? Metal? Wood? And if so, how would I go about making it? I am completely new to all of it.

James Casey
Forum Watchman
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1510

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2014, 10:36:12 PM »

A section of sink pipe about 12 inches long with an internal diameter of greater than or equal to 1 inch
Heavy grade blade from US - at $16 or so for a grab bag blade, you won't find a better, more durable blade
A few screws to put through the sink pipe to hold the blade in place

That's about as basic a lightsabre as you get, short of just painting the base of the blade, which is what I seem to recall they did for stunt 'sabres in the prequels.

"I'll split this world open and tear down the sky before I let him come to even the slightest harm."

Darth Sovereign
Knight Aspirant

Dark side, please.

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2014, 12:59:19 AM »

A section of sink pipe about 12 inches long with an internal diameter of greater than or equal to 1 inch
Heavy grade blade from US - at $16 or so for a grab bag blade, you won't find a better, more durable blade

That's about as basic a lightsabre as you get, short of just painting the base of the blade, which is what I seem to recall they did for stunt 'sabres in the prequels.

What if I want to make the hilt look Star Wars-y? I've gotten an idea of some rubber 'O' rings to add as grip, but what else would there be?

Darth Sovereign
Knight Aspirant

Dark side, please.

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2014, 04:53:27 AM »

Question. Suppose I have a 1 1/4 inch pipe that I would be making the hilt out of. Would a saber from the Grab Bag offer on US fit into the hilt?

srams
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 375

Speak softly and carry a big saber...

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2014, 05:15:35 AM »

What kind of pipe is it? Sink tube? No, you would have to reduce the internal diameter. If you wanted to use PVC, (just like Ultrasabers used to), 1-1/4 schedule 40 works perfect, its the right ID for the US blade. Its also very very durable, and easy to work with, but it doesn't look as good as the metal pipe.

"I will always oppose the Darkness, but I will never hesitate to defend myself from the Light..."

"I looked my demons in the eye and said, do your best to destroy me. See, I've been to hell and back so many times I must admit you kind of bore me."

Darth Sovereign
Knight Aspirant

Dark side, please.

« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2014, 12:42:50 AM »

What kind of pipe is it? Sink tube? No, you would have to reduce the internal diameter. If you wanted to use PVC, (just like Ultrasabers used to), 1-1/4 schedule 40 works perfect, its the right ID for the US blade. Its also very very durable, and easy to work with, but it doesn't look as good as the metal pipe.

I was speaking to my friend and we both came to a consensus. We'd make the hilt out of PVC pipe and I'd order a blade from the US Grab Bag. The blade is 1 inch diameter. If we get a 1 inch diameter PVC pipe for the hilt itself, will the blade be able to fit into the pipe? My friend says it will and I'm a bit skeptical.

srams
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 375

Speak softly and carry a big saber...

« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2014, 12:58:03 AM »

I was speaking to my friend and we both came to a consensus. We'd make the hilt out of PVC pipe and I'd order a blade from the US Grab Bag. The blade is 1 inch diameter. If we get a 1 inch diameter PVC pipe for the hilt itself, will the blade be able to fit into the pipe? My friend says it will and I'm a bit skeptical.

No, 1-1/4" will take a 1" blade. PVC goes by outside diameter, so 1" PVC has a much smaller inside diameter. 1" PVC is nearly identical to an actual saber blade.

I recommend PVC, and if you have any questions let me know I do a lot of work with PVC.

"I will always oppose the Darkness, but I will never hesitate to defend myself from the Light..."

"I looked my demons in the eye and said, do your best to destroy me. See, I've been to hell and back so many times I must admit you kind of bore me."

Darth Sovereign
Knight Aspirant

Dark side, please.

« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2014, 08:19:38 PM »

No, 1-1/4" will take a 1" blade. PVC goes by outside diameter, so 1" PVC has a much smaller inside diameter. 1" PVC is nearly identical to an actual saber blade.

I recommend PVC, and if you have any questions let me know I do a lot of work with PVC.

I am set on using PVC as it'd be lighter than metal. We're going to heat the PVC hilt to make it curved slightly as to allow better handling with Djem So. Anyway, say I bought a blade from the Grab Bag bundle and you said the saber blade is ~1". What size of PVC should I use for the blade to filt with the PVC hilt?

Master Bluespike74
Guardian Prime
Vanguard of the Azure Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 977

As long as there is light, I will be here.

« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2014, 09:32:36 PM »

Darth Sovereign,

Electrical grade PVC has a curved design so no need to heat the PVC.  Going with blade alone, I recommend purchasing 1.25 inch PVC as this will have an internal diameter of 1".  There are a variety of ways to secure the blade but if you plan to use it for part time cosplay and part time dueling, I suggest using a brass furniture insert so that you can use a screw to hold the blade into place.  The curved PVC was used in the past by US for making a curved hilt lightsaber.  I have seen people repeat this process to create a really cool looking Red LED saber.  It will be light in weight but will allow you to have an "ignition" so to speak and can be done with US parts and keep your final price within a reasonable price range. 

Guided by the Aing Tii Monks

Shodan in Shaolin Kempo Karate/Kung Fu/Jiu Jitsu

Yes, I am a color:  BLUE

Darth Sovereign
Knight Aspirant

Dark side, please.

« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2014, 07:52:05 AM »

Darth Sovereign,

Electrical grade PVC has a curved design so no need to heat the PVC.  Going with blade alone, I recommend purchasing 1.25 inch PVC as this will have an internal diameter of 1".  There are a variety of ways to secure the blade but if you plan to use it for part time cosplay and part time dueling, I suggest using a brass furniture insert so that you can use a screw to hold the blade into place.  The curved PVC was used in the past by US for making a curved hilt lightsaber.  I have seen people repeat this process to create a really cool looking Red LED saber.  It will be light in weight but will allow you to have an "ignition" so to speak and can be done with US parts and keep your final price within a reasonable price range. 

Can you give me explicit directions?

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: