Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Most realistic sound settings.  (Read 3722 times)
Raven_Embar
Force Sensitive

Force Alignment: 0

« on: February 28, 2014, 05:32:56 AM »

Hello, I am a new UltraSabers owner and i got to say, i can not believe i didnt do this years ago! these sabers i have purchased are the greatest things i think i have bought! i wanted to post this thread and ask you guys if you wanted to share, what you believe, to be the most real lightsaber like settings on Obsidian! I have mixed my own and and quite happy with what i have but if anyone wants to share what they have found to be the most real like lightsaber sounds please feel free!

Aeon v3 (FO)
Aeon V3 (no sound)

Darth Obvious
Knight Arbiter

Force Alignment: -44

« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2014, 08:27:14 PM »

Of the fonts I've tried, the LukeROTJ font from NinjaJesus is my favorite so far. It does basically everything well:

1. It has several great-sounding short swing sounds. Short swing sounds are all that I use, since the longer ones are much more difficult to get to properly coincide with the saber movements. Also, most of the short swings from this font sound distinct from one another, really helping to add to the realism. Other fonts have good-sounding short swings, but often there just aren't enough of them (or they sound too similar from one to the next). This font has at least 5 or 6 of them that all sound different, and that's enough to keep the sounds varied from swing to swing.

2. It has multiple clashes that sound fantastic.

3. The power-on sound is quite good. The power-off sound seems to be missing a little something, but it's a negligible loss whatever it is.

4. The lockup sound is good too, although I don't often use that effect regardless of the font.

Other observations:

The hum from this font is a little different than most. It isn't as low in pitch as a lot of them, and instead it sounds more like a buzz. I find that this works really well with the fastest pulse effect using the Emerald driver (0, 0.02, 0, 0.02) in that the frequency of the buzz seems to coincide with the really fast pulsing of the blade. It's an optical/auditory illusion of course, but it really looks/sounds like the two effects are synchronized.

The swings aren't all that loud on this font, so I keep the volumes turned all the way up except the idle hum (I keep that around 60 or so, since this seems to approximately match the hum volume when the swings are occurring).

I wish I could get the "I see you have constructed a new lightsaber" quote from Vader as my boot-up sound. It would be a great addition to this font, since it is a classic line from ROTJ. Perhaps it is indeed a boot-up sound from some other font, but I haven't found it.

Lastly, I've tried mixing and matching swings/hums/etc from different fonts, but I do not prefer this method. The reason is that each font has its own hum, and this hum is a part of the swings and whatnot. So if you set it up to use swings/etc from different fonts, then you can hear the hum awkwardly change as you go from one font to another. Since this LukeROTJ font does everything well, I can just use the effects from this font alone, and this makes everything sound very consistent.

Here are my current parameters:

motion threshold: 135
motion integration time: 2 (I'm still not clear on what this does exactly)
impact threshold: 12
impact debouncing time: 50 (I'm not exactly clear on this either)
minimum time between impacts: 40
lockup flash time: 20

Raven_Embar
Force Sensitive

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2014, 11:15:10 PM »

I will check it out! I myself havent used ninja jesus sound fonts yet, just using that standard fronts on the fronts page.
I really have no idea what the motion integration is, i have tried messing around with it but im still not certain.
sounds great tho! really love the realism, i love the fact that i can have multiple saved, almost personalities, to my saber. 

Aeon v3 (FO)
Aeon V3 (no sound)

Raven_Embar
Force Sensitive

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2014, 02:00:58 AM »

i have found that the power off from the starkiller sound font fits with the Luke ROTJ hum, there was that very slight awkward change but if you put the volume on 90 for the power off it sounds great!

Aeon v3 (FO)
Aeon V3 (no sound)

Darth Obvious
Knight Arbiter

Force Alignment: -44

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2014, 05:36:00 AM »

I will check it out! I myself havent used ninja jesus sound fonts yet, just using that standard fronts on the fronts page.
I really have no idea what the motion integration is, i have tried messing around with it but im still not certain.
sounds great tho! really love the realism, i love the fact that i can have multiple saved, almost personalities, to my saber. 

Yeah, it rocks.

i have found that the power off from the starkiller sound font fits with the Luke ROTJ hum, there was that very slight awkward change but if you put the volume on 90 for the power off it sounds great!

Thanks for the tip. I will check it out.

haldir
Knight Templar

Force Alignment: 32

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2014, 04:44:15 PM »

Ninja's ROTJ is my fav. sound font also!.... For my lock up sounds I like to mix and match different Boot sounds... .I like being able to hit the switch and hear movie quotes.

Sometimes when I try to mix in Boot sounds from different fonts I cant get the launcher to load all the way to the saber.... does anyone else have this problem?

Also, can someone explain all the different motion settings as well? The ones that you are confused on are the same for me

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: