Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
Author Topic: Calling all geeks: I NEED YOUR TOP TENZ  (Read 9685 times)
TheHobbitofDune
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 473

« on: April 07, 2014, 12:48:45 AM »

In the spirit of friendly forumite bonding, I present to you the time-honored (and slightly narcissistic) activity that is creating Top Ten lists. Why? Because you tend to learn a lot about a person this way.

Now, as the title would suggest, video games are the subject matter. The rest is easy.

Be sure to give your reasons for why you picked the games that you did, even if you aren't that good at descriptions, or if you feel that your descriptions will be too long or too short. None of that matters; just have fun with it. Nobody is asking you to defuse a bomb here.

I'll go first.

Because I can.

10. Fable III - Xbox 360

The freedom of The Sims + the atmosphere of Runescape + the humor of Monty Python = Fable III. This game is a whimsical fantasy adventure that may have more flaws than all the other games on this list, but it more than makes up for that with it's ability to just simply be very fun, and to not take itself too seriously. I greatly enjoyed my time as the Ruler of Albion because of this.

9. Custom Robo - Gamecube

This was my absolute favorite video game growing up, and it still holds up very well to this day. Custom Robo was everything I ever wanted in an RPG game: Fully customizable mechs, a completely immersive and fulfilling story, and endless hours of nonstop battle arena carnage. Not to mention the music, which is just grand, and which helps to underscore various moments in the game, both epic and calm. And to think, if I had never taken a chance with this game at Blockbuster, I would have missed out on a heck of a lot.

8. City of Heroes - PC

I've always wanted to be a superhero. I remember a time when I used to clip a red blanket to my back and jump off the armrests of chairs pretending to take flight. I remember when my two best friends and I used to LARP during recess, creating our own superheroes and doing battle with imaginary villains. City of Heroes was the first and only game that allowed me to take all of this one step further. I was a mixture of the Flash and Captain America, zooming around with a shield to bash down on the heads of bad guys in the name of justice. For the longest time, that was me. I miss the good ole' days. R.I.P. City of Heroes, I will never forget you.

7. Mass Effect - Xbox 360

If Star Trek and Elder Scrolls had a baby, this would be the result. And it is a damn good one at that. Mass Effect is one of the best RPG games I have ever played in my life. It gives the player almost complete freedom to do as they wish, and to be the kind of badass space adventurer that all geeks wish they could be. In a fully realized and gloriously interactive universe, the only fault that I can find is a trivial one: The fact that Femshep can't be in a relationship with Ashley. I mean, uh, what? *cough, cough...*

6. Gears of War - Xbox 360

The things I love the most about this game are the intensity of the firefights, and the downtime between each. Each battle is as intense as they can possibly be, but they never last too long, and are never too short either, and the exact same can be said for the breaks that you take in between them. Not only does this allow you to squeeze the most enjoyment out of each encounter, but it also gives you the chance to fully process all that had just happened to you, making you feel like a total badass that's been through hell and back. Clever mini-activities are also strewn throughout to keep your skills honed. No other games I've played (except others in the GoW series) have achieved such a perfect synergy and balance between these two gameplay elements, and it's truly an experience to behold.

5. Phantasy Star Universe - Xbox 360

I actually cried when I found out that this game's online servers had been shut down for good. That's how much I loved this game. PSU was like the natural evolution of the game in my #1 spot. It was a classic example of Japanese RPG bliss juxtaposed with MMO elements that allowed it to be so much more than that. My friends and I had no idea what we were getting ourselves into when we first started playing it together. Endless days filled with adventure, teamwork, and laughter ensued. Memories forged while playing this game will stay with me forever, and I wouldn’t have it any other way.

4. Rainbow Six: Vegas 2 - Xbox 360

Not only was this my first ever M-rated game, it was also the first game I played on the Xbox 360. Needless to say, it forever changed the way I look at games. Before this, I had never played a game that involved real guns, serious missions involving terrorists, or even stealth, squad, and cover mechanics. I was just a wee little lad who was getting his first taste of the big leagues, and I loved every second of it. Then when I accessed my Xbox Live Gold Trial for the very first time, my jaw dropped as I immersed myself in actual online multiplayer for the first time in my life. I was playing against people I had never met. Yep, this game was my first step into a much larger world, and I took full advantage of it. I met a ton of great friends through this game, and have very fond memories of it too.

3. Alan Wake - Xbox 360

This game is more than just a game. It tells a story; and it is a story that you will come to care a lot about as you progress through the levels. Alan Wake is a true thinking man's horror game, combining a uniquely imaginative story with creepy paranormal elements and clever gameplay mechanics for a fully satisfying and heart-stopping experience. In fact, it's more like reading a book. An interactive one, but a book nonetheless. Stephen King should be very proud.

2. Halo: Reach - Xbox 360

Remember Reach. Remember it well. This, my friends, is the greatest Halo game of all time, IMO. The campaign is the finest in the series, and though you know that the story will end in tragedy, you will still refuse to give in as you jump feet first into Hell. The game will wrench your heart more times than you can count as one by one your teammates, your brothers and sister in arms, fall to the nightmarish Covenant onslaught. When the dust settles, you will be the only one left. You will make one final stand amongst the corpses of your fellow Spartans as the Covenant descend upon you like vultures. You will die, yes. But you will die a hero's death. Halo: Reach is just that one special game that takes everything that is great about a series and improves upon them all, while still managing to usher in wonderful new elements that only serve to improve the game even more. Sure, it has it's flaws, but what game doesn't? Halo: Reach rules.

1. Runescape - PC

This game was my sanctuary. My escape. And while it may be forever ruined now, I will always remember the times when it wasn't, and those times were the best. Without this game and all the truly amazing friends I met along the way, I would not have been able to get through my early years. Clinical depression, aspergers, and bullying (both physical and psychological), were nothing compared to the invincibility I felt living in a better virtual reality as a warrior. A warrior amongst true brothers and sisters, some halfway across the world from me, but who I never felt closer too. Yes, the game ended for me in the worst way possible, but time is healing those wounds, and the bad shall never taint the memories I hold dear. The memories I still cherish. That I will always cherish. Long live the days of old.

(For further information, please visit my blog. A link is provided in the profile to your left).
« Last Edit: April 07, 2014, 12:59:17 AM by TheHobbitofDune » Logged

Xaeyon
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 129

読めるなら、連絡ください

« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2014, 07:46:51 AM »

Top 10? You ask too much. I'll see how many I can get out. (series will be ranked as one) In fact, no numbering, I won't do it! YOU CAN'T MAKE ME!

KotOR - PC

Has to be at the top of the list (not as favourite, but just first mention), as it really expanded my mind into the EU. Great games. Just brilliant.

The Last of Us - PS3

For a realistic, scientifically plausible "zombie" infection AND cure. Great soundtrack, great story, great gameplay. Waiting for my next play-through.
Cons: checkpoints are too close together.

Paper Mario - N64

Emulate that Sith. Do it. Do it now!

Oh, you want a description? Think Golden Sun meets Super Mario Brothers. NOW GO!

Super Mario Galaxy - Wii

I still want to buy the second one, but for some reason even after being several years old, its expensive to the Australian market. Like, "brand new" expensive. Solid soundtrack, combat could have been a bit more dynamic (like Super Mario 64), but all in all, it gives a great adventure across many different settings with varying challenges along the way.

Uncharted - PS3

Adventure/Action/Puzzle. Be not-Indian Jones, on a quest to save the world from the dudes who want to use ancient treasure to become gods. Sith goes down, and you shoot who you have to to get from A to B. Nice soundtrack, questionable/confusing romance (throughout the series); it does what it should to keep you entertained.

Journey - PS3

Takes about 2–4 hours, but I highly recommend sitting down and playing this all the way through. Magical artwork, dynamic soundtrack, awesome adventure. You will never cared about carpet so much. I played it with the ultimate surround sound experience and it was majestic as funk.

Long Time Favourites

Banjo Tooie - N64

I played this one first then bought the first one. Do not do that. If you want to play both, play the first one first because the Kazooie will just disappoint after the marvellous adventure that is Banjo Tooie. Not saying that Kazooie isn't good, just that Tooie set my standards so high that it didn't live up. Good solid soundtrack, funny script, <this list is going to be too long, just play it> ...

Super Smash Brothers!

The reason I will buy a WiiU. Next!

Legend of Zelda - Nintendo

You wanna travel across the land wielding sword and shield in a quest to defeat the baddest of dudes? 'Course you do. Pick a title; play it. You won't be disappointed.

Ratchet and Clank - PS2/3

Nostalgia? Yeah. But where else can you travel across the galaxy, wield the most OP weapons, destroy most anything with or without a virtual heartbeat, and have witty dialogue and story. The characters are magnificent across the board. Suitable from ages 8 to 80. Oh and fantastic soundtrack (pre-CiT). Never forget that one. Top 5: (3) Up Your Arsenal, (4/future 1)Tools of Destruction, (2) Going Commando/Locked and Loaded, (1) R&C, (6/future 3) Crack in Time.

God Of War - PS2/3

Take out the gratuitous violence and the liberal display of mammary glands, and you still have an awesome storyline, awesome scenery and artwork, awesome soundtrack, awesome gameplay, awesome puzzles. All games of the main series are fantastic and the margin between them is so slim, but in order of best story: I, Ascension, III, II

Hey look, I made it to 10!

Special Mention
Machinarium - PC/Mac (soundtrack, story)
Fire Emblem - GBA (gameplay)
Prince of Persia - PS2 (gameplay/adventure)

GCW RP - Bothan Spc Tharu Tyy'n

Catalyst (CG) - Prophecy (VA) - The Beast (no blade)
Reading Textbooks; Playing Pokemon Alpha Sapphire

sandman
Knight Ensign

Force Alignment: -52

Dark Side points please

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2014, 01:32:58 PM »

Hi, PC Master Race member here Tongue No seriously, never had a console, so all of my gaming experience is limited to PC. With that said, in no particular order:

Diablo/Diablo II

The first CD-game I have ever bought (back than they came with nice booklets) and it just blew me away. Both games have great atmosphere - dark, gritty, gothic - and I really like the lore, angels being closer to demons in essence, not caring about humanity etc. Now the vanilla D3 messed up so many things about this great franchise, but I can honestly say with the new expansion, Reaper of Souls, Blizzard fixed the hell out of it. Now I'm a fan again.

Warcraft II: The Tides of Darkness

I played the first Warcraft game, but honestly didn't understand much about what was going on, not being a native speaker and all. Now, the second game, I was able to follow the amazing storyline, experiencing unforgettable battles/heroes, and getting into the strategy genre. Considering it paved the way for W3 and WoW, it is quite impressive.

Starcraft

Blizzard was getting so much flak about this game to a point that if you click on Artanis (a Protoss Praetor) enough times, he would say "This is not Warcraft in space!" (and "I know it's not in 3D!"). Starcraft, as many of you might know, became a big deal in South Korea and elevated RTS games to a competitive e-sport at a time when the parents of LoL players of today were still flirting. The U.S. recently issued an athlete's visa to Kim "viOLet" Dong Hwan, a professional SC2 player, putting e-sports on the same pedestal with, well, actual sports Smiley

Blizzard fanboy blabbering ends here.

Company of Heroes

Superb tactical combat, fully-destructible environments, unique sides (as in not mirror units with different color patterns), chance to re-live the most memorable operations that had taken place in WWII western theatre, clever resource management system, solid single-player and intense multi-player - hard to find any shortcomings, really.

Mass Effect 2

I'll just say that it is much better than Mass Effect. Think about that statement. This can very well be the best game I have ever played. One of my buddies has over 450 hours logged in, and he regrets nothing. You shouldn't either.

Deus Ex/Human Revolution

A nice stealth/shooter hybrid with a steampunk twist (Liked Neuromancer? You're gonna love this). First game was quite groundbreaking, but I'm mostly digging the latest one - Human Revolution. Buy the Director's Cut and become the awesomeness that is Adam Jensen.

Crysis

IIRC, first FPS to offer you proper alternatives rather than blasting your way in. Even more impressive thing is that if was literally a demo to show the power of the new Crytek engine. Oh, and the Nanosuit. Maximum game.

Fallout

The epitome of nuclear wasteland survival games. Definitely not the first of its kind, but I think it has reached way more people than its predecessors. Great artistic design, awesome dialogue, lots of radiation, power armor Mk II and Nuka-Cola! Great follow-up games as well.

Skyrim

I was going to say Morrowind, then Oblivion, but eventually decided on Skyrim (perhaps even thought about Daggerfall for a bit). Consider this a placeholder for the Elder Scrolls series. Good stuff.

GTA III

C.J.! This is more nostalgia really - I played this game with my buddies for like a year, they would just come over with beers and snacks, and we would play and do stupid stuff (console commands > enable fighter jet > land of highway). Man, those times were great. GTA IV is also cool, but haven't had the time to commit to it, and now waiting for the V.

Honorable Mention:

Planetscape: Torment
Icewind Dale
Baldur's Gate II
Civilization
System Shock 2
X-Com
Syndicate (Bullfrog)
Simcity 2000
Theme Hospital Cheesy

Inventory:
- Dark Shock (Emerald)
- Consular (Emerald)

Wishlist:
- Catalyst
- Manticore

Kresnik
Knight of the Obsidian Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 111

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2014, 01:45:50 PM »

Hmmm top ten huh

1. World of Warcraft-  it's a love hate relationship with this game.  I had no interest in it until my wife started playing it to fill in the time away from each other while I worked graveyard shift. I created a hunter and the rest was history ... I have it at number one only because of the time I put into it.  I will probably never play it again.

2. SWTOR-  This title is really becoming a favorite. I just started a few weeks ago and I love it.  They basically took everything that WoW did right and incorporated it.  The variety of missions on ground / space / Pve vs pvp is just insane.  I am learning more about it everyday and it's been fantastic since this was really the second mmo in this style that I played.

3. Diaspora - This was a PC 2 D mmo space combat game.  You bought your ship, travelled screen to screen by selecting travel nodes.  It was an open world pvp game with resource trading and different skills like mining etc. I think the main draw too this game was that it got me through my senior year of high school and I really bonded with the guy that remains my best friend today.

4. Madden Series Games- I love football- so why not play the best series? The past 3 titles have really sucked... I haven't bought one since 2012.

5.  Castlevania I and II for Nintendo. Many a nights were played in elementary/ middle  school playing this game.

6.  Goldeneye for N64.  This was the first FPS that I played and wow was I good.  I used it for a continuos source of amusement as my step dad vowed to beat me in death matches and never could.  I preferred the magnum or the pp7 silenced running around pissing him off.  Nothing like seeing a grown man slam a controller down and walk out.

7. Call of Duty Black Ops 2.- ps3. I put this up because I love FPS and this is the one I am currently playing.  Really any of the call of duties are good.

8. Contra 3 for Super NES- hahaha I loved that game so much ...the never ending no way to beat the stupid game kind of love.

9. Boxing for Sega- I cannot remember what the title was but my cousin and uncle and I would play this for hours.  I think there were two different titles but man it was fun.  Playing until your fingers / hands would cramp.

10. Strike Series for Sega Genesis- this was the Jungle Strike / Desert Strike helicopter games for several platforms.  This is a big childhood memory game.  I played it all the time at a friends house when I was a kid.

I play an enjoy video games for two reason mainly -

1. To immerse myself in something to lose myself for a while to get into another universe and not think about the crap of reality.

2. To bond with friends and family

In order of favorite
Bellicose in PO w/ Obsidian
DSI vert grooves 4 ch Emerald  w/ Stunt
Guardian 2 Ch Emerald w/ Obsidian (1st Place Raffle prize)
Aeon V2 in CG Stunt (sort of modified)

TheHobbitofDune
Knight Commander

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2014, 04:24:39 PM »

Xaeyon: The Last of Us, Uncharted, and God of War... I expected those kinds of games from you. The rest? Not so much. What a pleasant surprise Smiley

sandman: That's a great list. And a nice bit of history too. I've always been a huge supporter of e-sports and it's various communities. Gaming is just as valid a sport as football or basketball, and I will always believe that. Also, I've been pretty curious about Diablo lately. Now even more so. Might have to check it out.

Kresnik: There's our retro gamer! Cheesy And two thumbs up for your reasons as well. Those are the same as mine, and many others I bet (well, duh, Hobbie).

So... anyone else?

Darth_Phobius47
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -176

Hawkbat 5

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2014, 07:38:41 PM »

I really can't put numbers on any of these games, but here are some of my absolute favorite games of all time

Banjo Tooie-N64
I loved this game so much when I was a kid! So many fond memories, awesome gameplay, whimsical and insane story and levels!

Super Smash Brothers- N64
What is there to say about this game? Eight iconic characters from Nintendo coming together for multiplayer beat-'em-up action spawning off 3 more games for each Nintendo console after the N64 adding more and more icons to the mix.

Call of Duty: World at War-XBox 360
I hated CoD after Modern Warfare 2, but WaW was the last CoD game I ever liked. It was also the last time we got to murder each other in the WWII era. I really miss mowing people down with the legendary German MP-40!

Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas
This game was just absolute insanity! I never truly finished the game, but my friends and I had a lot of fun with this game when we were young! Such a large world to rampage through, I feel the only GTA game that could ever top this one would be GTA 5 online. I hope to get it one of these days.

Halo 1-XBOX
Man this game is still my all-time favorite FPS!!! Halo combined fighting aliens in the distant future with also stopping a Universe-wide Zombie invasion! An exciting story with intense gameplay and combat, this game is the holy grail of sci-fi combining Aliens, Starship Troopers,  Predator, Star Trek, and much more!

Megaman Zero 3-Nintendo Gameboy Advance
The absolute best of the Megaman Zero Quadriolgy! The Gameboy spinoff to the Megaman X series for SuperNintendo, Playstation, and PS2, Megaman Zero was a welcomed break from firing off buster blasts at robots and allowed you to really take control of Capcom's most bad ass character ever conceived, Zero! I can't remember how many times I beat this game.

Fallout 3-XBox 360
This game was just an awesome apocalyptic experience! So much to do in this game, crazy side-quests, grotesque creatures roaming the wastes, and weapons a plenty to kill 'em all with!

Star Wars Battlefront 2-XBOX
This was one of the most intense third person shooters I've ever played! Talk about fan service, this game lets you re-enact every major battle in every movie, from the Clone War and the Galactic Civil War. With several awesome classes to choose from, I personally stuck with the main trooper. My brother and I play this class so much that we were able to start every battle with both the burst fire Award Rifle and the 2x zoom Award Pistol!

Pokemon Ruby/Sapphire-Nintendo Gameboy Advance
My absolute favorite Pokemon game of the Franchise, this game had the best starters, great moves and abilities, and some of the best Pokemon of any generation, gens 1-3! I would gladly start with any of the 3 starters, be it Treeko, Mudkip, or Torchic. Though I often use Mudkip!

Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim-XBox 360
ES 5 is the best of the series! Gone are those pesky classes that limit how you play the game, you play through how you want to. The landscape is breathtaking, the combat is smooth, the story is epic, the DLC just makes the game way more complete! This is my all time favorite RPG game I've ever played! If only Bethesda would work with EA to make a Elder Scrolls/Fallout style Star Wars game, then I could die happy!!!

My Arsenal

Dark Arbiter w/sound custom~EG/AS
Dark Standard v3~FO
Dark Liberator v3 (bro)~CG
Initiate v3 (sis)~VA
Grab Bag: Dark SI v3 vert grooves~BR
Consular w/sound~BR/FO
Menace SE w/sound~CG/FO
Raffle prizes: Graflex w/sound~GB/AS
                    Malice w/sound~BR/VA

TheHobbitofDune
Knight Commander

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2014, 02:07:44 AM »

^ Nice. I did beat Skyrim, but wasn't a huge fan, and now it's impossible for me to get back into it. Just not my kind of RPG I guess Tongue But I can totally understand why people would love it.

And man is it hard to get people to rank stuff. lol.

Aerthias Kodoun
Knight Arbiter

Force Alignment: 11

Nova 'leven, ready to vape 'em TIEs!

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2014, 02:55:42 AM »

What if we don't have a top ten?

Xaeyon
Knight Commander

読めるなら、連絡ください

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2014, 03:02:04 AM »

What if we don't have a top ten?

Just list some of your most enjoyed titles Smiley

Xaeyon: The Last of Us, Uncharted, and God of War... I expected those kinds of games from you. The rest? Not so much. What a pleasant surprise Smiley

Which was so surprising?

@Phobius: Points for another N64 (specifically Banjo Tooie) lover!

Manroon
Protector of Abused Dungeon Rancors
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 832

Nova Six, two lit and in the green.

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2014, 03:04:16 AM »

Dang, I hate ranking but I'll give this a go. Consider numbering tentative at best, as these are all pretty much a tie for me. Lower numbers will be the higher end, of course though. Wink

10) ?
Too many things I like to choose a final top ten-er. I defer to everything for this one, except for all games which suck. They do not count. Everything else, which does not suck, is my number 10. lol

9) 1942
One of like 3 Arcade games I LOVE. Find it. Play it. NOW.

Cool Mario All Stars
Come on, it's everything in one cartridge!

7) Mario World
Because Mario got better. And that's awesome.

6) Star Wars Battlefront Series
Boom.

5) Starfleet Command Series / Star Trek Online (It's a spiritual successor and you know it) What Trekkie didn't grow up wanting epic starship combat. Plus, the shock of the Enterprise swooping across the screen and saving my arse sort of made my 10 year old life. At least for a week. lol

4) Rogue Squadron Series
Sort of the same reasons as Starfleet Command, but there is a bit more Adventure Factor to flying an X-Wing into the jaws of death than a seemingly drawn out slug fest between Starships.

3) Super Smash Bros Series
Why NOT get together with friends to beat the snot out of each other in the guise of your favorite nintendo characters?

2) The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time / Zelda Series
The second biggest part of gaming: Actions and puzzles. Zelda requires a sharp mind, and offers the fun of an incredibly emersive world. It's the Star Wars of the game world. Whether people game or not, everyone knows what Zelda is. It invented a genre of games, and like Star Wars, it cannot be replaced or duplicated. It is THE Legend of Zelda. *que music*

1) Mario Kart 64 / Mario Kart Double Dash
These are what the biggest part of gaming is all about. Getting as many friends over as you can, a big flipping pack of pretzels and assorted junk foods, nuked taquitos, and etc, and just letting loose and having a blast racing around in absurd little karts, shooting each other with absurd little shells. And these were the two best games of the series. Wink

I am not a color...

A Knight can serve only one Master.

TheHobbitofDune
Knight Commander

« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2014, 03:51:09 AM »

Great list, Manny!

I'm starting to feel like I'm the only one that doesn't have 1) a Star Wars game, and 2) a Mario game on his list... *scrolls back up* Oh no, wait, sandman doesn't either Wink I'm not alone!

Which was so surprising?

The Mario. lol.

Xaeyon
Knight Commander

読めるなら、連絡ください

« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2014, 03:53:21 AM »

It's-a me! Tongue

Jev Moldara
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1280

The Mad Professor

« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2014, 04:06:22 AM »

I don't have a top ten, so I will list my all time favorites:

Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem - That game gave me nightmares.

Freespace series

Wing Commander series

Galactic Civilizations series

KotOR I & II

Need For Speed: Underground 2 & Most Wanted - the soundtracks were phenomenal

Age of Mythology (and the Titans expansion)
« Last Edit: April 08, 2014, 04:19:30 AM by Jev Moldara » Logged

Mad Science means never stopping to ask "What's the worst that could happen?"

Nothing is forgotten. Nothing is ever forgotten.

RLYHYPERGUY
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 178

« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2014, 04:39:36 AM »

Okay, I'll try my best. I don't judge based on graphics or gameplay or anything like that (unless they're ridiculously bad). Instead, I judge by how the game has personally affected me. Here we go:

10. Star Wars: Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy

I was torn between this and KOTOR, but I had to go with this because I spent much more time playing it. I love the gameplay, mods, and character customization. I still play it to this day.

9. Bioshock

I'm not usually into shooters, but plasmids, philosophical discussions, and a genuinely creepy atmosphere? Count me in!

8. Pokemon Emerald

My parents never let me play Pokemon as a kid, so I would play this game whenever I went to my best friend's house. I never got to save my game, since there was only 1 save slot, so I would always start a new one and see how long I could go before my Mom picked me up. As a result, I only got into this about a year ago, now that I'm in college and can make more decisions for myself, and I'm hooked. I feel like I have a very deep connection with my Pokemon, to the point where I can't play any other Pokemon game.

7. Sonic the Hedgehog 2

I grew up watching my aunt play this game and I still play it myself. I just can't get enough of it! I've yet to beat it myself but hopefully I will one day.

6. American McGee's Alice

I'm a sucker for dark, creepy ideas, and this game is full of them. It also helps that I love the way Lewis Carroll's mind works, and America McGee's mind operates on a similar level. I love the last area where you travel through a strangely biological version of the Red Queen's castle, as if you're going through Alice's body in order to reach her mind.

5. Batman: Arkham Asylum

Everyone seems to like City more, but I actually prefer this one. Yeah, City has better gameplay and more freedom, but I love the story and atmosphere of this one more. And, believe it or not, I feel more free in this one. Yeah, City had more area, but there was still that pesky wall and the view of every other part of Gotham to tease you. Asylum was limited in all of the right ways.

Plus, black cape > blue cape, unless it's Adam West.

4. Amnesia: The Dark Descent

The only form of media that has ever made me scream, and it made me scream twice. I still have trouble playing it, and I've played it a lot.

3. Spider-Man 2

I can't get enough of the swinging mechanic in this game. So far, it's the only Spider-Man game that has really made me feel like the titular superhero. I have a very deep personal connection to the Raimi trilogy, as they are the movies responsible for my love of superheroes and movies, and to hear the voice cast from the movie puts this game to the next level to me. I have many fond memories of playing this game with my best friend, desperately trying to get to the Statue of Liberty. I still play it occasionally.

2. Shadow of the Colossus

Wow. Just, wow. No other game has made me feel more like I'm partaking in my own adventure. The sense of scope is unmatched by anything else and the long walks as you seek out each Colossi, exploring the desolate world you find yourself in, are indescribable moments of deep reflection and wonder. Unfortunately, my copy was damaged and I never got to play the ending, but I was still able to get most of the experience, and experience that is permanently meshed into my brain. I will never forget the way this game made me feel.

1. Silent Hill 2

As I write about this game I feel myself sighing heavily. What this game does to me is simply magical. It's subtly terrifying, deeply personal, and incredibly heartbreaking. What separates it from most games is that there is meaning in every single aspect of this game. Everything has something to do with the overall message about the dangers of objectifying women and the meaning of true love. Let's face it, most games feed into indulgent male fantasies and portray an unhealthy image of women, and this game tackles that head on.

Like a lot of games these days, it has multiple endings. However, getting those endings is not reduced to making certain choices at certain times, like most games do. The game literally examines your in-game behavior and uses that to decide which ending you receive. Because of this, the game transcends simple storytelling in order to make a deep connection with the player, a connection few other games can make. And the story is, to put it lightly, absolutely heartbreaking. I tear up every time I reach the ending, no matter what ending I receive.

If there is one game that comes close to being considered art, it's this one. I love everything about this game.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That's my top 10. It probably will change around as I get older, but I am very confident that Shadow of the Colossus and Silent Hill 2 will remain at number 1 and 2, respectively. I cannot get enough of those two.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2014, 04:51:39 AM by RLYHYPERGUY » Logged

TheHobbitofDune
Knight Commander

« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2014, 08:27:36 AM »

It's-a me! Tongue

I read that in his voice. I have no regrets.

I don't have a top ten, so I will list my all time favorites:

*clipped*

Point for Eternal Darkness! Great game.

Okay, I'll try my best.

Your best is good enough for us Wink I love your descriptions, especially the one about Silent Hill 2. I feel the exact same about Alan Wake when it comes to a lot of your points, and the games really are similar from what I can tell. Though I've never actually played Silent Hill 2, but still... that's where YouTube walkthroughs come in. lol. They do differ in quite a few areas though.

Anyway, I'd like to discuss a point...

But I also don't want to derail this thread to the point of total insanity, so I shall PM you instead Wink Huge walls of text incoming.

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: