Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Nickel Guardian and Dominix v3 LE review, plus bonus collection pictures  (Read 5619 times)
James Casey
Forum Watchman
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1510

« on: April 15, 2014, 10:28:09 PM »

Hey all, I've finally got around to taking photos of the most recent additions to my collection, the Nickel Guardian I bought for the last raffle, and the Dominix v3 LE I won as a 3rd place prize.

The Guardian came in Guardian Blue with the Obsidian soundboard, and a non-illuminated AV switch. It came with a 36" heavy grade blade. The Dominix is in Blazing Red and has the li-ion batteries, and a 32" ultra-edge heavy grade blade with the pointed tip.

This is my second Dominix, which means I now have a cool staff... if a little mismatched in terms of blade colour:

The Dominix is a well known design, ergonomically comfortable to wield two-handed or one-handed using either of the chokes. It's an easy hilt to wield.

The Guardian, on the other hand, is less intuitive to wield.

It looks a little curved here, I think. Just a trick of the light...

The metal shroud (nickel plated on mine, because it looks amazing) adds to the circumference of the hilt. It's not uncomfortable, by any means, but I have quite large hands and find that it doesn't sit easily in my hand as my Bellicose, Prophecy, or the Aeon/Dominix hilts. I suspect that it comes down to the presence of grooves on part of the hilt, and the smooth metal on the other part - the lack of uniformity, coupled with the width of the hilt, means that this I actually find this a more unwieldy hilt than my Bane. Alone in my collection, this is the one hilt I'm not comfortable wielding single-handed.

However, I still think this is a stunning hilt. I mean, just look at the emitter:

This is, far and away, the most complex design in my collection, and I just love the look of it. I find that my right hand rests on the lower end of the emitter, on the recessed section between the brass/red knobs and the a/v switch. That's higher than I would have expected, and I guess it could just be a matter of time to adjust to it before I feel as comfortable with it as any of my other hilts.

So there you have it - the Dominix, as always, gets a unstinting recommendation. The Guardian gets a slightly cautious one - I suspect it's like the Scorpion in that the incredible detail coming from the shroud makes it less easy to wield. But let's be honest, you're always going to look like a total badass when you've got it in hand... Wink

As for the rest of my collection...

I now have 4 Guardian Blue 'sabres...

From top: Liberator, Dominix, Guardian, Dark Standard

...and 6 Obsidian 'sabres.

From top: Emerald Green Bellicose, Violet Amethyst Shock, Arctic Blue Manticore, Sentinel Yellow Crimson Reaper, Hot Pink Bane, Guardian Blue Guardian

I quite like my Pyrestone Aeon v2 and Sentinel Crimson Reaper as a combo:

But ultimately, I have 16 of the things now...

...trying to pick a favourite is probably asking too much.

So there you go - 2,000 posts, and I'm starting to get the itch for another 'sabre. Next up, I think, an Adegan Standard Issue for the Imperial Knight look, and I'll be getting Initiates for my niece and nephew as well. It never stops... Cheesy

"I'll split this world open and tear down the sky before I let him come to even the slightest harm."

sedstiskyfaller
Artisan of the Azure Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 617

Blue is my color, it is who I am

« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2014, 11:36:43 PM »

Very nice collection, James. You have a lot of variation there in hilts and blade colors, other than the four GB one lol. I really like the nickel finish on your Guardian as well. Another observation is that I don't remember your Manticore in AB. Did you change the blade color since you got it or has it always been that?

Prowl 1701
Mentor of the Prophecy Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 830

We're all just dreams in the end...

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2014, 11:53:05 PM »

+1 for the awesome collection James!  It's a nice variety of sabers you have there!

James Casey
Forum Watchman
Knight Commander

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2014, 12:46:13 PM »

Thanks, guys Smiley

My Manticore normally has a silver blade, but it has quick disconnects and I've been playing around with various MLS units in it and the others that have them.

I've noticed recently that the colour looks slightly different on the Manticore - more of a pale sky blue than arctic. I've left it in there for now as I like the look. I wonder if it's the windowed emitter that causes it, or maybe if just the MLS unit is slightly banged about with the dueling I've done recently. I should check in other hilts, maybe... Cheesy

"I'll split this world open and tear down the sky before I let him come to even the slightest harm."

scraver
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 89

Force is in the application

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2014, 12:59:14 PM »

The Nickel plate is rather nice, I agree.

Guardian with Sound (Emerald) and nickel plated shroud

Wish list:
Bunch of DIY bits. Cheesy

Racona Nova
Knight of the Obsidian Order
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1116

There is no good or evil....there's only power!

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2014, 01:03:58 PM »

Very nice! Have you already any experience how the 32" heavy grade handles on the Dominix? I plan shortening my blades to 33" or 32", and I'd like to know how much the handling ability increases compared to a 36" HG - especially in combination with a double-bladed saber.

Sig by Master Nero
Phantasm v3 LE (Obs v3) - AB w/ FoC AS---Manticore (Obs v3) - BR w/ FoC AS (QD)---Archon v2.1 (Obs v3) - RGBW Emerald

The 97th Acolyte
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 93

Member of the Red Jedi Order

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2014, 07:15:57 PM »

Nice collection! 16 is a hefty bunch... Good variation of colours and hilts though. Me likey. Cheesy Point.

Raven VA - FOC Silver
Shock - FO
Manticore R+B Emerald
Dominix LE v3 - PO
Initiate LE v3 - AS
Liberator v3 Staff - SRD + CG
Dominix v2 Staff - RGB + BR

The Countess - Curved Custom
-
Behind the strangest of pretences can lie the best of things...

James Casey
Forum Watchman
Knight Commander

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2014, 07:42:05 PM »

Very nice! Have you already any experience how the 32" heavy grade handles on the Dominix? I plan shortening my blades to 33" or 32", and I'd like to know how much the handling ability increases compared to a 36" HG - especially in combination with a double-bladed saber.

Not specifically on the Dominix - I swapped out the blade for a standard mid-grade almost immediately.

I prefer 32" blades, though (I cut them down myself and use the offcuts for blade plugs) as they just seem more maneuverable. I'm also used to doing a lot of my practise in my garage, which is only about 8 feet or so wide - losing those 4" off the blade makes a difference in terms of how much I can swing freely. It also means that I can swing high without hitting the ceiling too often, which I found to be a problem with 36" blades from day one.

Racona Nova
Knight of the Obsidian Order
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1116

There is no good or evil....there's only power!

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2014, 08:05:41 PM »

Hmm, okay, thanks for your answer anyway ^^

Sig by Master Nero
Phantasm v3 LE (Obs v3) - AB w/ FoC AS---Manticore (Obs v3) - BR w/ FoC AS (QD)---Archon v2.1 (Obs v3) - RGBW Emerald

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: