Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Chosen One SE review+  (Read 4075 times)
striker8
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: -8

« on: April 21, 2014, 05:17:14 AM »

Here's my review of my Emerald Chosen One and Dark Initiate V2. A number of firsts are covered as well, first Ultra Sabers sabers, first review, and first video in over ten years

http://youtu.be/5jn4bMjXd6Q

First off is the Emerald Chosen One w/ Obsidian sound, the red AV switch dedicated to the fourth channel, mid grade Ultra Edge blade, and some custom modifications I made while waiting to free up some space to film.

The saber is beautiful. I opted for the non plated version since I really don't care for shiny shiny things like the nickel version and do like the look of machined aluminum so SE it was for me. Fit and finish are top notch, much better than I expected to be honest.

The grips are solid, not rubber, and well attached being epoxied into slots in the hilt. I find the grips rather comfortable and it feels a lot like old style plastic bike grips. I have rather larger hands without sausage fingers, so your mileage may very.

The sound is amazing, clear and loud, and once I got the Obsidian launcher figured out adjusting things sound wise is simple and pretty straight forward. Ultra Sabers is nice enough to have a video showing the proper procedure and the same info is in the help file for the launcher.

The Emerald driver is just unbelievable. That side of the launcher is even easier to figure out than the sound and the color options are infinite. I did play with the color for a good couple of hours just to see what I could do using all of the settings and it is impossible to explain the awesome possibilities you have. The saber was ordered with violet Amethyst/dark violet amethyst and silver FoC and the color in the video is a slightly modified version of that file done to my tastes. While some don't like the idea of the AV switch being on a dedicated channel I did it that way because I wanted an illuminated switch but one that wasn't on constantly but did illuminate no matter what color the blade was set to. One cool side effect of that choice is the switch can be set to pulse along with the blade but with a completely different intensity.

The modifications so far are polished out emitter end, repositioned the lever by angling it downward a bit, and making my own blade retention knob and removing one of the stock knobs. Down the line I want a slightly different hilt, polish out the bar leading to the emitter, and replace the remaining cap screw with a stainless one.

I'm loving this saber. It swings nicely and once I get done doing the modifications I want to do it's going to be the prime focus to my in process Jedi costume.

Now we come to the V2 Dark Initiate in what I've been told is Consular Green. This was from the free initiate deal running when I got the Chosen One.

This little saber really surprised me. It's a really nice simple saber, the pictures and description on the web site don't do these little things justice. I was expecting a glorified kids toy akin to the old flashlight saber I had as a kid and this is not one of those that's for sure. It is small in my hands but feels rather well even two handed. If I would of known the Initiates were this nice I would of gotten one way before the deal was offered.

I customized this one as well, Put on some #20 O rings, polishing out the emitter and pommel, along with a custom D ring based on a rifle QD sling swivel. When I get the time I plan on cross drilling the emitter for some accent light and making a blade thumb screw like I did for the Chosen One.

All in all I'm impressed with Ultra Sabers and their products and recommend them.

Vasion
Knight Apprentice

Force Alignment: -2

If you only knew the power of the Dark Side...

« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2014, 05:46:27 AM »

Thanks for the reviews. I find side by side pics good for comparision.

"Two there should be; no more, no less. One to embody power, the other to crave it."

sedstiskyfaller
Artisan of the Azure Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 617

Blue is my color, it is who I am

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2014, 11:38:29 AM »

Nice saber! Never thought I would see a custom Chosen One, but it looks nice. I actually like the black that's left on the emitter. It gives a nice separation between the top and the rest of the hilt. Is the emitter anodized or coated by other means? It seems to have a matte finish compared to the rest of the saber in the pics.

Xolad
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: 29

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2014, 09:48:39 PM »

Those both look super awesome. What was your method for polishing the emitter sections?

Dark Prophecy v3 EG
Archon v2.1 CG

striker8
Knight Lance Corporal

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2014, 10:46:00 PM »

Nice saber! Never thought I would see a custom Chosen One, but it looks nice. I actually like the black that's left on the emitter. It gives a nice separation between the top and the rest of the hilt. Is the emitter anodized or coated by other means? It seems to have a matte finish compared to the rest of the saber in the pics.

The emitter sleeve is a dead flat black powder coat. The bar that runs up the hilt and slots into the emitter has the same powder coat as the initiate which I'll guess is the standard US black. And I can assure you the powder coat US uses is some good stuff, I've polished powder coat off of many things and the stuff on the sabers has been the most tenacious I've come accross

I was initially going to polish the band part because it would of been far easier to do but changed my mind. I really like the old Vader saber look but wanted something less Sith/evil looking and polishing the slant part cut that dark look. It's the same reasoning I had getting the polished switch box and to me the plan has worked well.

striker8
Knight Lance Corporal

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2014, 11:54:47 PM »

Those both look super awesome. What was your method for polishing the emitter sections?

Thanks.

I used my poor man's lathe technique on the initiate. A drill to spin it, an Allen socket as an arbor, and an assortment of paper and scotch pads to remove the powder coat and polish.

The Chosen One's emitter was all hand and dremel work using scotch pads, rubber polishing wheels and points, and felt wheels and bobs with rubbing compound.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: