Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Off center Saber Staff  (Read 3375 times)
KnightChampion
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: 10

All Jedi should have one!

« on: April 21, 2014, 08:40:42 PM »

Has anyone out there combined one of the Aeon/Dominix with an Initiate to make an off center balanced staff?  Wondering how that might handle.

Karmack
Forumverse Loremaster
Master of Ceremonies
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1152

Light side points please.

« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2014, 06:32:05 PM »

Havent' done it yet, but I will have to try it.  I'll let you know.  :-)

signature picture by DarthScrub

Master Singer of the Mak'Tor

KnightChampion
Knight Lance Corporal

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2014, 07:48:51 PM »

have a point for trying for me!

James Casey
Forum Watchman
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1510

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2014, 08:58:48 PM »

There's not so much difference in the size of the two hilts that it's very noticeable that the centre point is, well, off-centre.

"I'll split this world open and tear down the sky before I let him come to even the slightest harm."

Jedijosh
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 105

Come back to the light side we have chips & Salsa

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2014, 09:29:36 PM »

Lettuce know how it feels James. I'll ketchup later:).
Sorry about this toast I think I'm Hungary;).

Sabers:
Aeon v2 (CG), Archon v2.1 (VA), Graflex CE (Obsidian Emerald), Guardian (Obsidian GB),

Wish list:
Azure Mantis, Arbiter, Bellicose in RGB, Chosen One CE, Consular in CG, Prophecy v3

Karmack
Forumverse Loremaster
Master of Ceremonies
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2014, 09:45:17 PM »

Has anyone out there combined one of the Aeon/Dominix with an Initiate to make an off center balanced staff?  Wondering how that might handle.

OK, I did a quick check, joined one of my Dominix V3s to my Dark Initiate V3.  I did it with both the adjustable vented coupler I use on my staff and the flush "invisible" Standard Issue coupler that we use with the Initiates.

In the end, James is spot on: its not that noticable at all.  The difference in hilt length is 2-3 inches, so the actual centerpoint is on the Dominix, but when you spin it the staff automatically spins around the center of gravity and its not so far off that your hands feel awkward or anything.  This is, of course, assuming that you're using equal blade lengths on both sides.  Smiley

So, to be thorough, I popped the 24" initiate blade out of my Dominix and put the 36" blade in I use for single-blade weild. 
Now, THAT felt different!  :-)  The actual center of gravity of the staff moved further up the Dominix hilt, but it was still comfortable, and it made for some interesting variation in a few of the moves, mainly because there was now a "top" and "bottom" to the staff.  More like a saber with a secondary blade and less like a staff, actually.  :-)

My testing, though, would indicate that while the center of gravity moves a bit into the Dominix hilt, its not at all awkward or an impediment to using the staff.  In fact, it is hardly noticible.  The two hilts are enough alike that it takes a close look to tell they're not the same.  :-)

SteampunkSith
Knight Arbiter

Force Alignment: -53

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2014, 12:12:46 AM »

Very helpful, Karmack!  POINT!

"He cares nothing for the Sith or its teachings… or the Jedi. And when the Jedi are dead, he will feed on the galaxy, the Republic, and eventually, consume the Sith as well."
My UltraSabers:
Dark Initiate LE v3 BR
Dark SI v3 w/Sound BH
Dark Prophecy GB
Manticore w/Sound AV
Aeon LE v3 BR
Aeon v4 BR

sedstiskyfaller
Artisan of the Azure Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 617

Blue is my color, it is who I am

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2014, 02:45:07 AM »

There's not so much difference in the size of the two hilts that it's very noticeable that the centre point is, well, off-centre.

Maybe it can be offset with a 36" blade in the Initiate and a 34" blade in the Dominix.

KnightChampion
Knight Lance Corporal

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2014, 03:02:28 AM »

Truly outstanding, I even like the idea of longer blade on short hilt, I will definitely have to get a coupler and try this out.  Thanks again! Have some points!

Karmack
Forumverse Loremaster
Master of Ceremonies
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2014, 04:00:04 PM »

Thanks! 

One note of caution: If you're going to go with different blade lengths spend a little time practicing.  I was fooling around with mine before I took it apart last night and I think I marked my own legs about a dozen times from getting the longer and shorter ends confused while I was flourishing.  :-)

There are definate advantages, though.  Worth experimenting with it.  If nothing else, it looks unique, and that's always a plus!

UnfairBanana
Knight Templar

Force Alignment: 26

I am a Jedi, like my father before me.

« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2014, 09:20:59 PM »

I've paired my Aeon v2 / 32" blade with my roommate's Initiate / 36". Feels kinda normal, but still noticeable. I'd rather keep mine even.

Walk always towards the Light.

Grindspine
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: 21

« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2017, 03:41:49 AM »

I realize that this is an OLD topic, but it seems the topic is not brought up much!

I spent some time today with my two v3 Dark Initiates joined together as a staff.  I can spin it with 32" blades pretty well with my right hand, but not so much with my left hand.  The 81" total length was just a bit too much to handle.

After toying with a long-handled configuration (the two hilts joined, one 32" blade and one blade plug), I figured that I would dig out my original 24" initiate blade.  This offset build with a 32" blade and a 24" blade (total length at 73" for the whole weapon) feels great.  It nicely combines some of the feel of a staff while retaining some feel from a long-handled build.

The offset between the blade lengths is a bit easier to see in contrast to the couch cushions.  Excuse the mess!

Are there any other offset staff users here?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: