Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
Author Topic: First Armour Build - Gauntlets!  (Read 16221 times)
Ebonstar
Knight Apprentice

Force Alignment: 29

« on: May 02, 2014, 04:25:59 AM »

I've been intrigued by Worbla for a while, and after hearing how easy it was to work with, I thought "Well, I can do easy things!" and after viewing online tutorials and Star Wars armour, decided to make gauntlets for a Star Wars costume I was making for an upcoming Convention. I've never made any armour before, nor worked with thermoplastics, so it was fun to try something new.

I based them on the 'Valiant Jedi' armour set from the SWTOR online game:

I made a template of my arm out of masking tape and Seran wrap, and sandwiched a layer of regular craft foam between two layers of Worbla. Once the details were on, I Spackled & sanded the piece, then painted and weathered them with acrylic paint. I then used shoe glue to adhere them to VERY cheap black gloves, since the glue is designed for objects that will need to flex. Here are some progress shots, as well as me wearing the finished product:

The basic gauntlet shape

Adding the details

Action shot!

An attempt at weathering

Killing the carpet - a very important step

Gauntlets!

All in all, I'm quite happy with how they turned out, although I'd like them to look more machined - the finish isn't as smooth, and the edges not as precise as I'd like. I figure that'll come with practice - everything has a learning curve right? Smiley
« Last Edit: May 02, 2014, 04:34:33 AM by Ebonstar » Logged

Kresnik
Knight of the Obsidian Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 111

« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2014, 05:28:34 AM »

Very nice ... You just introduced me to that stuff worbla.

Have you considered dying he gloves or adding any accents to those - maybe a knuckle guard of some sort

In order of favorite
Bellicose in PO w/ Obsidian
DSI vert grooves 4 ch Emerald  w/ Stunt
Guardian 2 Ch Emerald w/ Obsidian (1st Place Raffle prize)
Aeon V2 in CG Stunt (sort of modified)

B1ondeange1
Game Master
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 3214

You can't take the sky from me....

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2014, 06:02:53 AM »

Very nice! have a point!

I agree, some kind of accent on the gloves would probably finish them off nicely Smiley

M4-QT droid
Shayla Jaste Cosplay
Perth Spartans

archon v2.1, consular, dominix v3 LE, bellicose, 2x dark initiate v3 LE, dark initiate v2 LE, Aeonix v2, raven, 2x shock, 2x manticore, electrum wind em/v4 obs

Frizzenflyer
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 271

Triple Ace

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2014, 06:21:33 AM »

great build, a point to you. I just might forget about replacing the dump tank on my vacuum molder and work with that stuff.

"we did it first, and we did it old school... none of them fancy Incom T-65 X-Wings... we had ARC-170's and Z-95's... we had to work for our kills."~Jestucker

Ebonstar
Knight Apprentice

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2014, 06:35:19 AM »

Very nice ... You just introduced me to that stuff worbla.

Have you considered dying he gloves or adding any accents to those - maybe a knuckle guard of some sort

Thanks Smiley That knuckle guard is a great idea! Alternatively, I could make the accent piece that's on the hand portion of the Valiant Jedi gauntlets.... I'll have to think about that Cheesy

I think I'll replace the gloves soon as well, when I find some nicer ones.

Ebonstar
Knight Apprentice

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2014, 06:45:19 AM »

Very nice! have a point!

I agree, some kind of accent on the gloves would probably finish them off nicely Smiley

Thanks! By the way, your Jedi Robe? Super awesome... and, if you're still thinking about making shoulder armour for it, it might be worth considering Worbla - it'd be quite light weight and would form the shape quite easily. It might be difficult to get, though - but it's a great product!

B1ondeange1
Game Master
Knight Commander

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2014, 07:51:26 AM »

Thanks! By the way, your Jedi Robe? Super awesome... and, if you're still thinking about making shoulder armour for it, it might be worth considering Worbla - it'd be quite light weight and would form the shape quite easily. It might be difficult to get, though - but it's a great product!

thankyou, I am very pleased with the way it came out Smiley I've actually got the shoulder armour made I just never got it finished off Smiley not actually much left to do, I've just gotta adjust them a little.

yeah, that's the problem- products like that are quite expensive/ hard to get here. If I could get hold of some cheap enough id be prepared to give it a go though.

M4-QT droid
Shayla Jaste Cosplay
Perth Spartans

archon v2.1, consular, dominix v3 LE, bellicose, 2x dark initiate v3 LE, dark initiate v2 LE, Aeonix v2, raven, 2x shock, 2x manticore, electrum wind em/v4 obs

Zren Tobas
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -2027

[Give Light Side Points!] [Give Dark Side Points!]

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2014, 10:50:06 AM »

Nice. To me the gloves work for some reason.

Sabers: Liberator V3 CG ObsV4 sound!, Graflex GB, Overlord AB, Crimson Savior BR, Bane PO, Dark Initiate V2 LE BH, Shock GB, Archon V2.1 CG, Dark Sentinel LE GB ObSLite!, Standard Issue V3 CG, Dominix V3 LE BR, Sentinel SRD, Dominix V2 FO
Next sabers: Dark Prophecy BVA, Negotiator AS, Enigma EG,
[/url]SW1 by joshgarcia07[/url

Darth Ryga
Knight Ensign

Force Alignment: -28

The Empire is war made manifest

« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2014, 12:51:27 PM »

Your gauntlets look awesome! Awesome job, especially considering it was your first ever attempt. Point!!

Sabers w/Sound, A/V's, RP's and QD's(Where Applicable):
Reaper,Dark Shock(2),Consular,Manticore,SS Raven,Archon V2.1,Graflex CE,Scorpion,Dark Prophecy V3(2),Dominix LE V3,Chosen One CE,NP Guardian (Emrld),Dominix LE V4,Dark Apprentice V4
Free Promotional Sabers:
Aeon V3,Dark Standard,Aeon V2,Raven,Sentinel V4,Initiate V3,Initiate LE V3

SteampunkSith
Knight Arbiter

Force Alignment: -53

« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2014, 01:58:28 PM »

Wow, absolutely amazing work, ESPECIALLY for a first time build.  Point!

(And - YAY - more ladies in here!  I feel like I have found a treasure when I discover another fellow chickadee in these forums.)

"He cares nothing for the Sith or its teachings… or the Jedi. And when the Jedi are dead, he will feed on the galaxy, the Republic, and eventually, consume the Sith as well."
My UltraSabers:
Dark Initiate LE v3 BR
Dark SI v3 w/Sound BH
Dark Prophecy GB
Manticore w/Sound AV
Aeon LE v3 BR
Aeon v4 BR

B1ondeange1
Game Master
Knight Commander

« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2014, 02:28:24 PM »

Wow, absolutely amazing work, ESPECIALLY for a first time build.  Point!

(And - YAY - more ladies in here!  I feel like I have found a treasure when I discover another fellow chickadee in these forums.)

(ps there's a gals only thread for us chicks in the off topic section if you are interested)

M4-QT droid
Shayla Jaste Cosplay
Perth Spartans

jaywarmann
Knight Aspirant

Force Alignment: 1

« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2014, 02:43:32 PM »

Wow. Those look awesome!

SteampunkSith
Knight Arbiter

Force Alignment: -53

« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2014, 02:57:29 PM »

(ps there's a gals only thread for us chicks in the off topic section if you are interested)

Ooh, thanks for the heads up!  I will have to go look for that.  Point!

"He cares nothing for the Sith or its teachings… or the Jedi. And when the Jedi are dead, he will feed on the galaxy, the Republic, and eventually, consume the Sith as well."
My UltraSabers:
Dark Initiate LE v3 BR
Dark SI v3 w/Sound BH
Dark Prophecy GB
Manticore w/Sound AV
Aeon LE v3 BR
Aeon v4 BR

Ebonstar
Knight Apprentice

« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2014, 03:26:13 AM »

great build, a point to you. I just might forget about replacing the dump tank on my vacuum molder and work with that stuff.

Thanks! I don't know much about vacuum forming, but the results are amazing - although I have to admit that the process, and equipment required, seems daunting. In contrast, I like how you only need a heat gun for Worbla - although its nubbly texture is a definite down-side. I saw a couple troopers with vacuum-formed armour a couple weeks ago, and they looked like they just walked off the set of one of the movies - it was fantastic Smiley
« Last Edit: May 03, 2014, 03:41:11 AM by Ebonstar » Logged

Ebonstar
Knight Apprentice

« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2014, 03:38:48 AM »

Nice. To me the gloves work for some reason.

Thanks! I was going for the general look of Stormtrooper armour, with the black fabric underneath the armour pieces.

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: