Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down
Author Topic: DIY Emerald Build w/ RGB Accent Crystal LED  (Read 49401 times)
DarthDaddy
Knight Apprentice

Force Alignment: 11

« on: May 30, 2014, 05:27:55 PM »

Hi All:

After a few full build purchases from the awesome DUDES at ultra sabers . . .  I've finally succumbed to the dark side and gotten into DIY builds   Grin

So -- after browsing the forum for an hour - it looks like very few people have attempted an EMERALD DIY build.  I'm hoping to start a general thread here using my project as a basis to build knowledge for myself and others.  So here goes . . .

I am planning to do a crystal chamber build with the emerald driver . . . Optimally I would like for the crystal illumination to also be configurable like the main LED.  After a quick search online, I found this small 5mm RGB accent LED that could theoretically be used to illuminate the crystal (and also roughly match the main emerald driver LED).

https://www.sparkfun.com/products/105

Soooooooooo . . . after reviewing the help file for emerald wiring on the launcher - I understand that the Main LED has 8 wires total (R+, G+, B+ W/A+  ; R-, G-, B-, W/A-) . . . and these 8 wires are connected to the 8 pins on the emerald driver (simple enough!)

The RGB accent LED appears to have an R+, G+, and B+ with a single GND . . .if I were to add in this accent LED and have it color matched to the Main LED, would it be correct to assume that I would run the R+ coming off of the emerald driver to the accent R+ (with appropriate resistor), and continue the wire (with a Y solder split) on to the R+ of the main LED?  And of course do the same for the G+ and B+ connections?  

Subsequently for the negative connections - would I solder the single GND from the accent LED to each of the four RGBW main LED negatives  (so a four-way Y split)- and each of those respectively on to their emerald driver negative pins?

Can anyone tell me if this is a hair-brained idea?  Or if I'm barking up the right tree.  I will try to draw up the wiring proposal and post it later.  Even if this would work, God help me with trying to stuff all those wires into the hilt . . . hahaha . . .

Thanks everyone in advance and look forward to your comments!

DarthDaddy
« Last Edit: May 30, 2014, 05:42:14 PM by DarthDaddy » Logged

DarthDaddy
Knight Apprentice

« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2014, 08:08:58 PM »

Here's the wiring diagram that I created -- anyone have any comments?

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1490508181178938&l=1a1281fd77

DarthDaddy
Knight Apprentice

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2014, 02:06:54 AM »

Hey again all

While I wait for the emerald driver to come in from ultrasabers I was thinking of ways to access the mini USB port without having to unscrew the saber . . .

Much like a recharge port. I know a few people have commented on how tight the electronics are given all the extra wiring. So has anyone out there seen a saber build with a mini USB port through the hilt?

If such a thing could be done, do you think I would need to use a male to female adapter to raise it through the hilt or would I just stabilize the card inside the hilt so that the USB port is always aligned with the hole I cut through the hilt. I will experiment on an old beat up Dominix hilt once the card comes in but thought I would ask the community what they thought too.

Thanks

DarthDaddy
Knight Apprentice

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2014, 03:47:23 PM »

putting a higher res image of the wiring schematic I am working on . . .

Apparently putting the image on facebook with public access doesn't allow the image to display here -- can anyone else advise me where to upload photos so that they will render in the post rather than having to display the link?

For now here is the link:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1491522244410865&l=cb20f4d51c

Racona Nova
Knight of the Obsidian Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1116

There is no good or evil....there's only power!

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2014, 03:53:48 PM »

You can use any photo upload service. Photobucket is a quite popular and often-used service here Smiley
I use pic-upload, but it's only in German...
« Last Edit: June 02, 2014, 03:57:27 PM by Racona Nova » Logged

Sig by Master Nero
Phantasm v3 LE (Obs v3) - AB w/ FoC AS---Manticore (Obs v3) - BR w/ FoC AS (QD)---Archon v2.1 (Obs v3) - RGBW Emerald

DarthDaddy
Knight Apprentice

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2014, 08:32:42 PM »

Thanks for the advice -- I've got the image posted now to a site that can display in the post  . . .hope this makes it easier for people to view and comment.

plugsy
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: 21

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2014, 08:44:07 PM »

Sounds awesome mate,
I for one will be looking forward to seeing this project come together as I am interested in putting a crystal chamber in my emerald Chosen One. ..
Good luck with the build. ..

Escapism is a Necessity

DarthDaddy
Knight Apprentice

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2014, 10:36:24 PM »

Ok folks - found another option for the crystal illumination -- its 'wacky' so just go with me here for a moment.  I'm curious what the community thinks about this idea.  I have a feeling that purist fans will think it is too 'cartoony'.  I haven't decided yet what to do with this design idea -- so again -- seeing what the community thinks about how this might look in a finished saber.

While searching for small RGB (color-changing) accent LEDs to light the crystal -- I came across a curious oddity . . .  a strobing color change LED!!  There is a small chip inside the diode that is pre-configured to cycle through a series of colors (some cycle fast and others slow) . . . I've attached a video of the fast strobing light.  Slower strobing manifests more as a color morph from one to the next . . .

What does everyone think about this LED illuminating the crystal -- blade would be a stationary color -- but the crystal would fast pulse the full color spectrum . . .  Like I said before -- this is not a purist concept -- but I can also see how this strobe effect on a crystal would make the saber seem even more 'alive' and mechanical. 

The wiring is also simplified given that there is only a single positive and negative lead on the diode . . . forget having to solder 6 total connection wires to the LED.  The CON is obviously that you can't change this strobing effect -- it is hired coded to the LED . . .

Comments???

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RqOh1bShNpQ" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RqOh1bShNpQ</a>

sedstiskyfaller
Artisan of the Azure Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 617

Blue is my color, it is who I am

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2014, 11:33:28 PM »

That's a cool effect. I think it would look good, but the idea behind a lightsaber is that the crystal matches the blade color.

DarthDaddy
Knight Apprentice

« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2014, 11:51:29 PM »

That's a cool effect. I think it would look good, but the idea behind a lightsaber is that the crystal matches the blade color.

Totally agree with you sedstiskyfaller! -- As Capt. Jack Sparrow would say  . . . It doesn't keep to the code  Smiley

I did order both the configurable RGB diode as well as the fast strobing one - so once I do some test wiring, I can compare the look and feel.  It sort of feels like the strobing effect is almost like a spark plug in the car  . . . the crystal would be 'sparking' in the chamber to power the blade . . . it could even be something like a battle damaged saber where the crystal is 'mis-firing' . . .

I'm just having some fun with the overall concepts but also seeing what the community thinks -- even if some of the ideas are outside of norm.

sedstiskyfaller
Artisan of the Azure Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 617

Blue is my color, it is who I am

« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2014, 12:07:31 AM »

it could even be something like a battle damaged saber where the crystal is 'mis-firing' . . .

Now this would be a nice way of using this that I hadn't thought of!

Relan Tarel jedi kinght
Forge Technician
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 279

« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2014, 01:44:36 PM »

The way you've got the rgb led in the diagram looks good to me. I'll be doing a similar set up on one of my next projects.
And the rgb flashing led is also a good one ( miss firing crystal is a cool thaught ) especially if you need to save space. I've used them on one of my sabers with a dimming buck puck in order to get a pulsing efect.
Also I'm happy to finally se a wiring diagram for the emerald driver.
Have a point.

<a href="http://www.enjin.com/" alt="swtor guild hosting">[img width= height=]http://sigs.enjin.com/sig-swtor/bbc902d3fb690dcb.png[/img][/url]
Custom saber-Vigilance

Jedijosh
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 105

Come back to the light side we have chips & Salsa

« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2014, 02:22:43 PM »

This is cool I too like the idea of the 'misfiring' concept:). Have another point:).

Sabers:
Aeon v2 (CG), Archon v2.1 (VA), Graflex CE (Obsidian Emerald), Guardian (Obsidian GB),

Wish list:
Azure Mantis, Arbiter, Bellicose in RGB, Chosen One CE, Consular in CG, Prophecy v3

DarthDaddy
Knight Apprentice

« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2014, 03:22:32 PM »

The way you've got the rgb led in the diagram looks good to me. I'll be doing a similar set up on one of my next projects.
And the rgb flashing led is also a good one ( miss firing crystal is a cool thaught ) especially if you need to save space. I've used them on one of my sabers with a dimming buck puck in order to get a pulsing efect.
Also I'm happy to finally se a wiring diagram for the emerald driver.
Have a point.

Glad to know that others have played around with the strobing RGB LEDs before -- did you use it as an accent LED on the saber hilt - or did you use it for a crystal illumination like I'm thinking?  If you used it for a crystal illumination - I would LOVE to see a pic or vid to get an idea of how that might look.  Thanks for the comments!

Relan Tarel jedi kinght
Forge Technician
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 279

« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2014, 04:02:11 PM »

Actually I just let them shine out the pomel  here is a likk to my post that has the video.
http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=19491.0

I may change the set up later as I've got some work to do on that saber.

<a href="http://www.enjin.com/" alt="swtor guild hosting">[img width= height=]http://sigs.enjin.com/sig-swtor/bbc902d3fb690dcb.png[/img][/url]
Custom saber-Vigilance

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: