Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Is SWTOR Worth The Subscription??  (Read 19336 times)
AlwayzAHead
Force Sensitive

Force Alignment: 2

Pirate Jedi... Make It Happen!!!

« on: May 31, 2014, 03:42:21 AM »

Hello all!

About five to six months ago, I began playing SWTOR for the first time. I got a good feel of the game in general as well as all the classes. Because I'm a high school student working a part-time lifeguard position, money was tight. This resulted me playing F2P the entire time. Now that the summer is on, I switched to full-time and now have a bit more money to spend on things I like. I've been debating giving SWTOR another try, this time in the subscription form. I've heard that the F2P version of the game has a lot of restrictions and holds back the true experience of the game. I guess that's why it got so dull for me quickly. So, is the overall game really worth the $15/month fee? (BTW I have tried the "Premium" thing, the one time payment of $5 that gets you more than the F2P but not as much as the Subs)

Stay Awesome, and as always, May The Force Be With You! 

If you can't stand for something, you'll fall for anything!

Kresnik
Knight of the Obsidian Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 111

« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2014, 05:15:20 AM »

You get a lot of nice perks that other mmo's don't really offer. I was a WoW player since vanilla and I m a recent convert to SWTOR in the last 3 months or so and I feel the 15 is reasonable.

In order of favorite
Bellicose in PO w/ Obsidian
DSI vert grooves 4 ch Emerald  w/ Stunt
Guardian 2 Ch Emerald w/ Obsidian (1st Place Raffle prize)
Aeon V2 in CG Stunt (sort of modified)

Vex
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -402

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2014, 02:10:52 AM »

I've had a running subscription since SWTORs launch. I wouldn't have it any other way.

dark side points please

Zephon
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 118

Zephon Nosta - Jedi Sentinel

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2014, 07:32:00 AM »

I also have a running subscription. Can't really go wrong with it if you want to enjoy SWTOR.

The Force Is The Blade Of The Heart.
            All Are Intertwined;
       The Crystal,
   The Blade,
The Jedi.
              You Are One.

Light Side Points Appreciated

richmbailey
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 282

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2014, 02:14:48 PM »

I concur with Zephon. However, if you are only a casual player, paying is not needed.

Chosen One SE (BR) Obsidian v3 Sound
Dark Monarch - Ancient Mods with 3rd party sound
Bellicose (FO) Obsidian Sound
Graflex (GB) 3rd party sound
Flamberge (BR) Stunt
Dark Shock Hybrid (BR FoC FO) 3rd party sound
Consular (CG) Obsidian Sound

jimmyspenser
Knight Aspirant

Force Alignment: 0

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2014, 09:31:28 PM »

I played up to around level 20 on F2P. The restrictions aren't very annoying (the prolonged cool-downs for chatting and quick travel I can live with; and I could care less for trading with other people). The two things I hate the most are the fact that you will oftentimes be rewarded with stuff you can't use unless you subscribe, and to a lesser degree, gaining exp at a decreased rate. I stopped playing just because I got bored with the gameplay though.

Molina00
Forum Emissary
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 459

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2014, 09:58:15 PM »

Missing out on a lot of subscriber rewards is kind of annoying, but it's not a deal breaker for me.  I have 4 characters going right now as a preferred player and there is really no way I would subscribe.  I have never subscribed for a game and I don't intend to.  If there is something I want bad enough I will buy a few cartel coins and get it.  I will admit the gameplay does get rather repetitive, especially going to planets and doing things I have already done on other characters, but I still enjoy playing it now and then.

I felt a great disturbance in the force as if millions of nerds cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced.

Integrity can accommodate the inadvertent error and the honest difference of opinion; it cannot accommodate deceit or subordination of principle.

Krace
Game Master
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 150

For the Light of the Republic! (LS Points Please)

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2014, 10:30:11 PM »

I have had a sub since the start with the exception of a month or two break here and there.  I have a guild and I have done endgame ops runs so having the sub was good.  The decreased XP for non-subscriber is annoying when leveling, but obviously not an issue on endgame content.  With my sub and the cartel coins I've gotten I have purchased a lot of the account or legacy perks that you don't get when not a subscriber so things like titles and hide helmet and artifact level gear are still open to me even if I choose to turn off my sub.

Also don't forget about a putting a security key on your account, that's 100 coins a month just for having the physical key or the app on your phone.

Saber Armory:
Archon v2.1 w/sound - CG/FoC/AS
Dark Liberator v3 - VA

MikaelPfeffer
Knight Lieutenant

Force Alignment: 12

Balance in all things, including points!

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2015, 01:28:42 AM »

Both my wife and I have subs and we also bought the security keys... get an extra 100 cartel coins a month and really helps prevent hacking.... We thoroughly enjoy the games and play several times a week (as work and RL allow)....

LordTargaryus
Knight Sergeant

Force Alignment: -17

Dark Side Points

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2016, 05:08:59 PM »

Hello all!

About five to six months ago, I began playing SWTOR for the first time. I got a good feel of the game in general as well as all the classes. Because I'm a high school student working a part-time lifeguard position, money was tight. This resulted me playing F2P the entire time. Now that the summer is on, I switched to full-time and now have a bit more money to spend on things I like. I've been debating giving SWTOR another try, this time in the subscription form. I've heard that the F2P version of the game has a lot of restrictions and holds back the true experience of the game. I guess that's why it got so dull for me quickly. So, is the overall game really worth the $15/month fee? (BTW I have tried the "Premium" thing, the one time payment of $5 that gets you more than the F2P but not as much as the Subs)

Stay Awesome, and as always, May The Force Be With You! 

I know it's kind of late since this post went up almost two years ago, but I must say it's definitely worth a subscription. I've been subscribed for a while and I really enjoy getting to play the game in it's entirety.

Own:
Bellicose+TRI Blazing Red+Obsidian V4
Want:
Malice+TRI Blazing Red+Obsidian V4
Dark Shock LE+Emerald+Obsidian V4

firewisplet
Knight Templar

Force Alignment: 32

"You were my brother Anakin! I lava'd you!"

« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2016, 04:57:45 PM »

I know it's kind of late since this post went up almost two years ago, but I must say it's definitely worth a subscription. I've been subscribed for a while and I really enjoy getting to play the game in it's entirety.
Oh, are we necroing this thread now? Okay.
I'd be happy to buy a subscription, but I won't because the game constantly punishes you if you don't. The game is pretty much identical to Star Trek Online, but STO doesn't hinder you from playing half the game if you don't. It lets you play as a liberated Borg, gives you a couple of rewards and a special ship, and pays you Zen. SWTOR will let you, what? Remove your handicaps? If it would have said "As thanks, you'll gain XP at a faster rate and we'll give you some special items." instead of "You filthy F2P, we're reducing how fast you can earn XP and you won't be able to use half the stuff in your inventory because you won't pay us." maybe I would have bought it.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2016, 05:03:34 PM by firewisplet » Logged

Rapine
Honoured Recipient of the Warlord Order
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -3020

Always scanning the horizon...

« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2016, 07:22:57 PM »

Once one subscribes, there is no return.

"The thing that always drives me hazy, is wondering whether it's them or me who's crazy." ~ A. Einstein

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: