Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Choreographed Duels, Blade Advice  (Read 3548 times)
OrtharRrith
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: -46

« on: June 20, 2014, 11:50:08 AM »

I, along with the club I troop with, are currently training in order to perform public duels whilst in full costume. The duels are carefully choreographed so as to best look the part, and so that we are aware of such things as space and how to best control the crowds so no accidents occur.
The one thing that spoils things is that the colour of the blades are seriously mutated by bright daylight. The answer to this would be coloured blades - which could then be removed and replaced when light conditions are such that the light from the sabers can be clearly seen. However, how best to go about this?
My initial thoughts are to get "standard" heavy grade blades from US, remove the film from inside and replace with a solid colour film in the colour needed for which ever character it belongs to. The question is, before I spend cash and effectively destroy an otherwise usable blade in an experiment, will this work? Or is their a better way to go about it?

James Casey
Forum Watchman
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1510

« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2014, 02:09:55 PM »

I believe you can buy coloured blades from other suppliers. There's a guy who has duel Malices as part of a costume who has red blades... Can't remember his details off the top of my head, but I'll have a look for him later and see if I can point you in his direction.

It's not something US currently offer, though, so making your own may be the easiest way forward. Do bear in mind that the film inside a US blade is several layers thick, so you'll need a lot of coloured film to replace it. I've never taken it all out and measured... I probably ought to do that with an offcut some time, thinking about it.

"I'll split this world open and tear down the sky before I let him come to even the slightest harm."

Karmack
Forumverse Loremaster
Master of Ceremonies
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1152

Light side points please.

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2014, 03:13:42 PM »

Just as a thought, there are products used to tint plastics, one of those might be appropriate to apply to the outside of a blade and could be tested on the small section that goes into the hilt to mount the blade so you wouldn't have to damage or destroy your blade to see if it works.  It would also perhaps allow you to use the same blade in any light conditions.

Just a thought, though.  I don't know of a specific product that is in the right color range...

signature picture by DarthScrub

Master Singer of the Mak'Tor

Master Uilos
Resident Master
Knight Captain

Force Alignment: 121

Snark Jedi

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2014, 07:48:23 PM »

Orthar, PM me privately for the link to some places. Also, any help you may want on choreo, I'll help.

Pedantic Lightsaber Philosopher. Stage Combat Junkie. Cranky New York Street Mage.

Master of the Snark Side of the Force

Long Live The Fighters

UnfairBanana
Knight Templar

Force Alignment: 26

I am a Jedi, like my father before me.

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2014, 02:59:44 PM »

Might I just add that those costumes are impeccable

Walk always towards the Light.

Jedijosh
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 105

Come back to the light side we have chips & Salsa

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2014, 05:31:31 AM »

Blade film unrolled on a standard mid grade blade is about 6 feet wide by length of saber long, in my case it was 3 feet:).

Sabers:
Aeon v2 (CG), Archon v2.1 (VA), Graflex CE (Obsidian Emerald), Guardian (Obsidian GB),

Wish list:
Azure Mantis, Arbiter, Bellicose in RGB, Chosen One CE, Consular in CG, Prophecy v3

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: