How to scratch-proof a spray painted part?

(1/2) > >>

The_Ronin_Jedi:
Hello,

So, yesterday I spray painted a pommel I bought with a few coats of Krylon Colormaster indoor/outdoor black semi-gloss spray paint. Unfortunately, the paint is already coming off quite easily even though I sanded the pommel before painting.

Is there something I can buy to spray on top of the paint layer to make it scratch-resistant?

Molina00:
Get yourself a can of Krylon Cyrstal Clear to seal the paint job.  It comes in satin, matte and gloss finish.  I don't think anything will protect the paint 100%, but that should help make it last longer. 

Kresnik:
Quote from: The_Ronin_Jedi on June 23, 2014, 10:02:54 AM

Hello,

So, yesterday I spray painted a pommel I bought with a few coats of Krylon Colormaster indoor/outdoor black semi-gloss spray paint. Unfortunately, the paint is already coming off quite easily even though I sanded the pommel before painting.

Is there something I can buy to spray on top of the paint layer to make it scratch-resistant?

Basic painting steps -

1. Sand all painting areas with a fine grit paper
2. Clean the area with alcohol
3. Let it dry
4. Tape off area not to be painted
5. Apply paint - let dry 24 hours in between coats
6. At least 2-3 layers of paint  24 hours in between applications
7. Let paint dry - apply clear coat (krom clear etc) let dry 24 hours
8. Apply second coat of clear coat let dry for 24 hours

Yeah painting is time consuming but if you set it up right apply at least 2 coats of both paint and clear coat and wait 24 hours in between each application you are good to go.

Darth Vapour:
Great advice from Kresnik.

I also use and epoxy primer which really helps the paint stick. You can get it from an auto repair/paint store.

striker8:
Kresnik covered the basics pretty well and I'll add a few things that help when painting.

Unless the paint being used is specifically intended to be used on aluminum you must use a primer that is. Regular paints and primers just don't like to bond to aluminum that well which is why they developed ones that will.

Pay attention to the application temperature and humidity range for the paint. All paints have them and it will either be on the can or available from the seller if your using a custom mix. To hot/cold and humid/dry are the second greatest cause of peoples problems with paint, the first is surface prep.

Dry to the touch does not mean usable!!! Paint must cure beyond the point it is dry to the touch. Don't use the painted item until after the cure time has elapsed.  Personally I try to not use or assemble anything I paint for at least twice the cure time since the temperature and humidity effect it as well.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page