Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 35   Go Down
Author Topic: Grab Bag Commentary for First Time Buyers  (Read 202224 times)
RogerWilco
Knight Apprentice

Force Alignment: 0

« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2014, 10:54:33 AM »

My other, a guardian blue Initiate V2 LE, is the exact opposite, a color I already had and loved on a hilt I never would have entertained the thought of even buying. I find my self swinging the Initiate now as often as, if not more than, my other hilts. And to think I only bought it as a cheap way to use up some rewards points before they expired. Cheesy
I got a free initiate v2 as part of the summer deal and I really like it.

Also: Do reward points expire? How, when, where, what? I can't find the information in the stickied post about it on the forum.

Racona Nova
Knight of the Obsidian Order
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1116

There is no good or evil....there's only power!

« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2014, 01:23:36 PM »

No, Reward Points don't expire. At least it wouldn't make sense, since it's like a voucher and thus "real" money. Money doesn't expire, and so doesn't a voucher or a Reward Point Smiley

Sig by Master Nero
Phantasm v3 LE (Obs v3) - AB w/ FoC AS---Manticore (Obs v3) - BR w/ FoC AS (QD)---Archon v2.1 (Obs v3) - RGBW Emerald

Dorian_Corso
Knight Apprentice

Force Alignment: 4

« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2014, 05:55:15 PM »

Great informative post. Just purchased my first saber this past weekend. It was a grab bag/no sound/ with a requested blade color. I can't wait to see what I will get. May the force be with me as I look forward to it's timely arrival.

Jedi Sentinel/Shadow Dorian Corso

Volund Starfire
Knight Ensign

Force Alignment: 20

« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2014, 07:45:40 PM »

I purchased a pair of grab bag sabers and both arrived with seemingly nothing wrong with them.    If they were actual B-pulls, then I am a Terentatek’s uncle.  However, the one I kept (other went to my co-founder in our saber choreography group) is my primary saber.  I’ve added a shroud, some light ornamentation, and it looks amazing.  So much so that I just ordered a grab bag for my wife.

I’m hoping that I’ll be able to order a bunch of grab bag pieces for an upcoming Jedi-build party.  Letting the Jedi and Sith select their own pieces from the emitters, bodies, pommels, and LEDs to make their own saber.  It’s just something a little fun and would save some assembly on the US team.

Darth Decimus
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: -5

« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2014, 07:16:01 PM »

You wrote :

" 1.  Combat capable sabers are expensive when compared to Hasbro.  Expecting to receive a Sherman tank for the price of a pogo stick is illogical and unreasonable. "

Just to clarify, all Ultra Sabers i know of are "combat capable" from their lowest priced"stunt" offering right up to their highest priced , blinged out models.

Ultra Sabers basic entry models are solid, reliable,and well made and 10x ( if not 100x more so) than the plastic models Plastic Replicas R Us carries ,and Ultra Sabers can actually be had in some cases for LESS than the higher end models at  Plastic Replicas R Us has - last time i went into a "R  US" store, they had several that were  in the hundred dollar range, that might last 3 minutes of even moderate contact sparring before they were broken, non-functional, and reduced to a pile of broken plastic bits ,paint, decals, and non-functioning LED's.

Yes, a Ultra Saber costs more than a 20 dollar toy. You dont/cant full on spar with Toys.(well, not if you have any sense) a toy version wont have the weight / balance to even do non-sparring forms/spins well with, not to even mention the toys have projections all over the hilt making actual use of it for anything more than static posing for photos nigh impossible. not to mention the obvious durability issues.

Ultra Sabers are tough, affordable, and designed for hard  and actual use. The entry level, no sound  Ultra Sabers are made of the same exact high quality materials as any of their other Sabers, they are not made of cheaper materials or with any less care than is put into their highest priced models.,and are no less capable and durable.

AFAIK, Ultra Sabers offers the MOST economical REAL  and functional , durable Sabers on the market for the money,and believe me i spend a LOT of time browsing every Saber makers site out there.

I just cant comprehend why people bash UltraSabers , no they are not a high end, one off ,highly customized  made to order 5 Grand Saber forge, they never claimed to be nor were designed to be.That is not what they do. What they DO , is offer  a well made, durable, good looking , and well supported product that the masses can afford and enjoy and use , with enough custom options to make most happy at an extremely reasonable cost and with the lowest "wait time" in the industry .

Hating on a supplier of any sort  that  performs its mission as well as Ultra Sabers does is just incomprehensible to me, my service from US has never been anything but  great - the only motive i can bring to mind is simply " sour grapes" , plain and simple.   

Dauntless Seven
Lady of the Sage Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2037

« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2014, 08:03:44 PM »

Thanks Blue for this excellent post.  I am a big fan of grab bags because one could receive a saber and blade color that would not be a top choice to get.  And I imagine that they are good for customizing.  I would never let a friend or family use my personal ones so this fits perfectly.  Also when I place an order and don't get the grab bag as well, I wonder what I may have missed out on. 
« Last Edit: October 13, 2014, 08:17:10 PM by Dauntless Seven » Logged

Master Nero Attoru
Resident Master
Forum Elder
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 1641

Suns of the Force

« Reply #21 on: October 14, 2014, 01:03:55 AM »

I didn't catch this one until now Blue, but a huge thanks to you for writing it.  Covers the topic completely, and addresses any issue which could potentially ruin someone's first Ultrasabers experience.  Expectations are EVERYTHING when you're buying something like this, and I hate to see people disappointed and turned off the great products offered here because they get something they didn't want.

JediKilgour
Force Sensitive

Force Alignment: 1

« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2014, 12:55:18 AM »

Just ordered two grab bag sabers, my first Ultrasabers wish me luck!!!!!!!

Molina00
Forum Emissary
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 459

« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2014, 02:44:43 AM »

Grab bags are also a great way to stock up quickly for wedding parties.  Grin
I will be ordering a couple more later this year to go with the stunt Ultrasabers I already have for my brother's wedding. 

Groomsmen vs. Bridesmaids   Cheesy

I felt a great disturbance in the force as if millions of nerds cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced.

Integrity can accommodate the inadvertent error and the honest difference of opinion; it cannot accommodate deceit or subordination of principle.

darthfisto1
Force Sensitive

« Reply #24 on: October 31, 2014, 03:05:04 AM »

is it possible to get a grab bag saber with sound? should i wait until black friday to get savings on a saber im a poor 14 year old kid

just a kid tryna make it -myself
wishlist:
consular green prophecy w/sound

Racona Nova
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

« Reply #25 on: October 31, 2014, 06:14:22 PM »

Grab Bags with sound are almost impossible to get. However, if you're lucky and receive any v3 model, you can have it upgraded with sound later when you have saved the money for that. You might also wait for special deals (DotD, Black Friday, Christmas and other) to save costs on your saber, but AFAIK there was no deal so far that reduced the cost of the soundboard and/or AV switches. But you can get discounts on Flash on Clash (only possible with sound), Recharge Ports, RGB, Emerald...did I miss something? As it is, you see that waiting for deals and/or raffles is worth the time Smiley

Sig by Master Nero
Phantasm v3 LE (Obs v3) - AB w/ FoC AS---Manticore (Obs v3) - BR w/ FoC AS (QD)---Archon v2.1 (Obs v3) - RGBW Emerald

darthfisto1
Force Sensitive

« Reply #26 on: October 31, 2014, 07:57:55 PM »

thanks for the insight!

wishlist:

JEStucker
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 340

Founder - The Underfunded Force (Light Points)

« Reply #27 on: October 31, 2014, 10:54:55 PM »

At last count, as confirmed by Deep and Ultra, there have been roughly 10 or so sabers with sound shipped as grab bags, 8 of which have been accounted for by members on these forums.  Most of the ones shipped were the older sound boards, pre-Obsidian, or some FX conversion boards as near as we've been able to deduce.

So for anyone to say no, you can not, will not, receive a grab bag with sound, is not entirely true.  It's just that the odds are extremely against it happening.

If you were to end up with a v3 saber and wanted to do the sound upgrade, remember, you'll need to upgrade the power supply to the rechargeable Lithium Ion batteries instead of standard alkalines, this also means having resistors wired in, or a buck-puck (go with the buck-puck, better in the long run and easier to hook up) so there are more costs with upgrades.

I've got a loaded out v3 Aeon (cheaper hilt) and I love it, it's got sound, it's got FoC, it's got the AV switch, but I just don't play with it much in the house because it's so loud.  I honestly spend more time with my grab bag Dom v2 in my hands.  No sounds, but I can swing it to my hearts content and my wife doesn't mind when she's trying to balance the books from her job at home.

I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar!

Dominix v2 Fire Orange
Aeon v3 Guardian Blue/Obsidian

Racona Nova
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

« Reply #28 on: November 01, 2014, 06:24:32 PM »

That's why I said "almost impossible" Cheesy

Sig by Master Nero

darthfisto1
Force Sensitive

« Reply #29 on: November 01, 2014, 10:52:22 PM »

thanks to both of you Cool

wishlist:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 35   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: