Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 35   Go Down
Author Topic: Grab Bag Commentary for First Time Buyers  (Read 203940 times)
scifidude79
8-bit Defender of the Aeon Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2106

« Reply #390 on: November 05, 2016, 04:50:21 AM »

I've been lucky enough to get AV switches on all of mine, but not everyone does.  My Initiate LE V4 even has windows.  Smiley

But, you could also wind up with a non windowed Initiate with a guarded switch.  That's just the nature of the Grab Bag.  Wink

I had to resist the urge to order one yesterday.  I was ordering a hilt for a DIY project and almost put a Grab Bag in there too.  I'm somewhat regretting not doing it.

harb278
Force Sensitive

Force Alignment: -6

« Reply #391 on: November 09, 2016, 07:26:49 PM »

I agree that the info posted is a great help. I jumped straight into the deep end of the pool and bought my first, a Graflex CE with a red blade, changed it to blue and then bought a Chosen One CE with red blade to complete my Anakin/Vader duo. I love my sabers with sound but I find myself swinging my Initiate gb blade more than the others. I have had to reign myself in as I could order a new saber every couple of weeks, but my bank account won't let me.

Thanks for the post and I hope that the info helps new members get the saber that is best for them.

Courage is being scared, but saddling up anyway.

Sabers owned:
Graflex SE
Chosen One CE
Azure Menace
Initiate LE V3

Grey_Jedi
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: 0

« Reply #392 on: December 10, 2016, 11:01:14 PM »

great post THNX

there is no dark side, or a light side there is only the force
I will do what I must to keep the balance
there is no good without evil, but evil must not flourish
there is passion, yet peace
there is serenity, yet emotion
there is Chaos, yet order

Garou_of_Kar
Knight Apprentice

Force Alignment: -20

Garou of Kar - KnightLighters:SBG

« Reply #393 on: December 13, 2016, 10:25:51 PM »

Of my 8 sabers that I have, and another that I bought for my Dad for his birthday, 6 of those have been grab bags.

Like another poster, didn't exactly hit the lottery on all of them, but considering that most of them are for use by others, and they are all great battle sabers, I'm confident that it may get others infected with the sabering bug...

It's sort of like getting a tattoo...

And my wife is really getting tired of me perusing the catalog of items on this site...

Heh.

http://s1383.photobucket.com/user/paramedic202/media/first_saber_purchase_zps3rgx6cz1.png.html (sorry, can't figure out how to code this thing so it shows the picture in the post)

My first purchases, the Dominix LE v4s BR with the illuminated AV switches and Obsidian v4 sound are mine, the Apprentice LE v4 stunt CG was originally my son's, but he traded for a grab bag Dark Apprentice LE v4 BR. The Dominix LE v3 stunt GB is my stepson's as a gift.

My second purchase for my dad was a grab bag and I received a Standard Battle Saber v3 GB for my Dad, haven't seen it yet, but I heard.

For my third purchase, I received the aforementioned Dark Apprentice LE4 BR, a Dark Apprentice v4 BR with emitter windows, a Standard Issue Battle Saber v3 GB, and a Aeon v2 CG with a silver AV switch.

So, for 50% ratio better than Apprentice/Initiates, it's really not bad.

~One cannot appreciate the Light until they have been lost in the Dark~

Owned sabers: 2 Dominix LE v4 with Obsidian Sound v4 BR with Quick Connect Coupler, Apprentice LE v4 stunt CG (grab bag), Aeon v3 stunt AS, Standard Issue Battle Saber v3 stunt GB (grab bag), Sentinel LE v4 with Obsidian Lite Sound CG, Dark Initiate v4 FO

Check out KnightLighters on Facebook and YouTube!

Pwelker1185
Force Sensitive

Force Alignment: 9

The force is strong-light side forever

« Reply #394 on: December 21, 2016, 04:44:48 AM »

I think all of that sounds great. I have not purchased my first one yet. I'm in the same position and cannot afford a 2-3 $400 lightsaber. The grab bag ideas sounds perfect for someone like me. But I am also going to be setting aside a small fund out of every paycheck to purchase one for my son and I. That sounds like a really great way to be able to figure out exactly what you want if you aren't sure. Personally any lightsaber model that is on the light side as my favorite graflex, the archon, the conselor Kama then this s*** and many more I love them all and I will get one and one day hopefully I can win one but in the meantime I will be trying to save up for morning thanks again blue, my favorite color

There is no dark without the light as there is no light without the dark.

sllikskills
Knight Sergeant

Force Alignment: 81

Maully Maul

« Reply #395 on: December 29, 2016, 02:05:06 PM »

Does it cost the same amount of money to install electronics onto a grab bag saber (minus the personal labor costs/purchasing of tools of necessary) ?

It would only appeal to me to purchase grab bags if I knew that I could install sound at a later point for the same price or cheaper, than if you bought the saber with electronics in it already.

This is the main reason why the Free Initiates offer are more appealing to me than the grab bags

thanks in advance for any replies!!

Stay Woke!!!

-Graflex SE - Obsidian V4 - Arctic Blue - Adegan Silver foc
-Electrum Wind - Obsidian Lite - Violet Amethyst - no foc
-Prophecy v3 - Obsidian Lite - Adegan Silver - Blazing Red foc
-Dark Initiate v3 - Adegan Silver - Stunt (for now)
-Fulcrum - Emerald - Obsidian v4 - Consular Green
-Chosen One CE - Emerald - Obsidian v4 - Blazing Red
-Lost Gray - Custom Install

My Wood Graflex Build Thread - http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=33641.msg528894#msg528894

scifidude79
Knight Commander

« Reply #396 on: December 29, 2016, 03:20:40 PM »

Does it cost the same amount of money to install electronics onto a grab bag saber (minus the personal labor costs/purchasing of tools of necessary) ?

What do you mean electronics?  It comes with a stunt setup; LED, switch and batteries already installed.  It's ready to go out of the box.

Or do you mean upgrading one to Obsidian sound later?  If that's the case, it depends on what you get.  It costs around $200 just for the sound board, buck puck, battery pack/speaker combo, switch and batteries.  Exactly how much it costs varies on whether you have an AV switch or guarded, and if you want V3 or V4 sound.  Plus, there's a battery charger to buy if you don't already have one.  With all of that in my cart, going with V3 sound, a momentary guarded switch and the cheapest charger, I'm up to $184.99 in my cart.  Add a $55 hilt and I'm at $239.99.  You'll also need a pommel with vents, but I'm not including that because some people just drill through the solid ones.  Meanwhile, I can get an Aeon, Dominix, Sentinel or Standard Issue with Obsidian V3 and a guarded switch (and a blade) for $209.99.

Also, if you're thinking of doing a sound upgrade on a grab bag, factor in that you may get a V2 hilt, which can't very easily be upgraded to sound.

As many of us have said in this thread previously, if you're uncertain you want to roll the dice on maybe getting what you want, a grab bag probably isn't the right choice for you.  Just order the saber of your choice from the store and be happy with it.  Smiley

sllikskills
Knight Sergeant

Force Alignment: 81

Maully Maul

« Reply #397 on: December 29, 2016, 04:27:42 PM »

SciFi Dude

Thank you very much for the in depth reply - it ALL makes sense now. Many props to you. and Point as well of course. Happy Holidays sir!

Stay Woke!!!

-Graflex SE - Obsidian V4 - Arctic Blue - Adegan Silver foc
-Electrum Wind - Obsidian Lite - Violet Amethyst - no foc
-Prophecy v3 - Obsidian Lite - Adegan Silver - Blazing Red foc
-Dark Initiate v3 - Adegan Silver - Stunt (for now)
-Fulcrum - Emerald - Obsidian v4 - Consular Green
-Chosen One CE - Emerald - Obsidian v4 - Blazing Red
-Lost Gray - Custom Install

My Wood Graflex Build Thread - http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=33641.msg528894#msg528894

scifidude79
Knight Commander

« Reply #398 on: December 29, 2016, 06:08:52 PM »

No problem.  I always try to share my limited knowledge whenever I can.  Wink

I've researched all of this because I have four grab bag sabers, one of which is a gorgeous Aeon LE V4 with a green blade, AV switch and Covertec.  (I paid for the Covertec and to be sure I got that blade color)  I've contemplated adding V4 sound to it, but I could almost buy a second one with sound for the same amount of money.  But, all that proves is that you really can't beat what US charges for battle sabers, not even if you build one yourself.  Smiley

Mordryd
Knight Apprentice

Force Alignment: 20

Light Side Force Points please.

« Reply #399 on: January 02, 2017, 11:27:09 PM »

Thank you Lord Blue. This has helped out a lot.

The proud owner of a Dark Arbiter with Obsidian v4.

Darth Genji
Knight Officer

Force Alignment: -58

Dark Side Points!!!

« Reply #400 on: January 11, 2017, 09:31:58 AM »

Good to know! I tell dozens of my friends that I've gotten into purchasing lightsabers from US and I told them if they're ever on a budget or just want to check out what US has to offer try the grab bag first before committing to an all our $300 purchase. I even bring my US saber with me to show them so they can get a feel for it and give it a whirl. Most I've shown and shared this with have fell in love and all now an saber from US! Smiley

"This is also the reason there can only be one Dark Lord.  The Sith must be ruled by a single leader: the very embodiment of the strength and power of the dark side.  If the leader grows weak another must rise to seize the mantle.  The strong rule; the weak are meant to serve.  This is the way it must be.
My time here is ended.  Take what I have taught you and use it well."

Dark Side Points only please! Thank you! Smiley

12/30/16 - Dark Apprentice LE V4 w/ Sound (Tri-Cree Consular Green)
01/09/17 - Apprentice LE V4 w/ Sound (Tri-Cree Fire Orange)

scifidude79
Knight Commander

« Reply #401 on: January 11, 2017, 03:24:15 PM »

Good to know! I tell dozens of my friends that I've gotten into purchasing lightsabers from US and I told them if they're ever on a budget or just want to check out what US has to offer try the grab bag first before committing to an all our $300 purchase. I even bring my US saber with me to show them so they can get a feel for it and give it a whirl. Most I've shown and shared this with have fell in love and all now an saber from US! Smiley

As good as that advice is, Ultra Sabers start at $54.99, not $300.  Just saying.  Wink

Vulcan7905
Force Sensitive

« Reply #402 on: April 15, 2017, 02:41:53 AM »

Got my first grab bag today. I got the Dominix V2 with a guarded available switch. It's so exciting. I also just let Ultra Sabers pick my color and they choose red. I couldn't be more in love!! My question is, if I were to order more, what are the chances of getting another DomUnix is what I'm wondering. Thank you for all the help!!

scifidude79
Knight Commander

« Reply #403 on: April 15, 2017, 01:55:57 PM »

Got my first grab bag today. I got the Dominix V2 with a guarded available switch. It's so exciting. I also just let Ultra Sabers pick my color and they choose red. I couldn't be more in love!! My question is, if I were to order more, what are the chances of getting another DomUnix is what I'm wondering. Thank you for all the help!!

It's hard to say, there are a lot of Dominix sabers that make it into grab bags.  Of course, it may not be a V2, it could be a V3 or V4, it could also be one of the LEs.  But, then again, it's totally random, so it could be something else entirely.  That's the craziness of grab bags.  Smiley

Though, I'm assuming you ordered a blade with yours, which would make it $70.  If you want to be sure to **not** get a Dominix next time, or if you want another one, (not really sure how to take your question) you could just order something.  The (non LE) Dominixes, Aeons, Sentinels and Standard Issue Battle Saber are all in that $70 price range.  In fact, most of them are right at $70.  Smiley

Vulcan7905
Force Sensitive

« Reply #404 on: April 16, 2017, 06:11:01 PM »

That's the allure for me for grab bags is use ordering something and not knowing what it is coming. I could order a saber our those types but then I know what's coming. Does that make sense?

Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 35   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: