Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 35   Go Down
Author Topic: Grab Bag Commentary for First Time Buyers  (Read 202217 times)
Infinit01
Defender of the Forumverse
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 2785

Grey Assassin

« Reply #450 on: June 20, 2018, 01:26:57 PM »

A stunt saber is a good one to own, you can use it in duels without having to worry about damaging any electronics.

StoryDtechtive
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 91

Light always casts shadow/Darkness defines light!

« Reply #451 on: August 03, 2018, 06:27:10 PM »

Well said, Blue. Personally, I’ve only seen a few negative reviews of Ultrasabers compared to a massive amount of happy customers. On the other hand, I’m not on FB all that much.  My lady-friend’s son has been a member of NY Jedi, so I have some inside knowledge of the saber community going in. I knew they were not going to be cheap. And I was very pleased to see US offered the grab bag and mystery box options. My thoughts are as follows:

We all like sound and features. It’s just cool. But does every saber need to have sound? If you’re looking to start a collection and get some nice hilts with light and a blade, the grab bag and mystery box is an awesome option to have.

I also think folks who want to duel, or practice their spins, are a lot less apprehensive using a saber they haven’t spent $400-$500 on. And if you’re practicing in a small house or apartment, a no sound saber or three doesn’t disturb others all the time. Great option for kids too.

Customizing (has been covered several times here) is not cheap when buying saber parts. But I’ve seen people get sound cards and lots of interchangeable parts for less money using the mystery box options than they would’ve if they bought those parts separately. Doesn’t always work out that way though...and methinks I’ll be spending the available cash on sabers anyway. But nice to get a variety and a little more bang for the money as well.

Mostly my life as a collector of anything has had different tiers. I agree that investing the cash in buying the sabers you like with the features you want is the primary/core part of anyone’s collection. But what’s collecting without experimenting and trying some options you might not think you’ll like as well, or feel spending the money to make it a part of your primary collection is your first choice.

Collecting anything is about buying what you like and having fun with it. Or should be.  Large collection or small it’s nice to have options Smiley

Saber Arsenal:
$75 MB: Liberator GB Stunt Saber
Electrum Wind FO Lite Sound
Chosen One SE BR Lite Sound (Forthcoming)
$75 MB: ? (Forthcoming)
Grab bag saber: ? Fall Raffle 2018 4th prize (Forthcoming)

Most Wanted: Graflex CE, Chosen One CE, Prophecy, Archon 3.1 That would be a good start Smiley

StoryDtechtive
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 91

Light always casts shadow/Darkness defines light!

« Reply #452 on: August 11, 2018, 11:03:51 PM »

Wanted to add a point to my previous post, but I guess the option to do that goes away after a while.

I just wanted to say that a lot of folks are on a budget these days, including myself. In terms of collecting the sabers i want with all the bells and whistles, I would probably end up buying 2-3 sabers per year. But the mystery and GB options will allow me to ocassionally dip in a get a saber fix between the more expensive purchases.

Saber Arsenal:
$75 MB: Liberator GB Stunt Saber
Electrum Wind FO Lite Sound
Chosen One SE BR Lite Sound (Forthcoming)
$75 MB: ? (Forthcoming)
Grab bag saber: ? Fall Raffle 2018 4th prize (Forthcoming)

Most Wanted: Graflex CE, Chosen One CE, Prophecy, Archon 3.1 That would be a good start Smiley

Dark_Lord
Knight Apprentice

Force Alignment: 1

Don't make me destroy you!!

« Reply #453 on: August 28, 2018, 03:48:54 PM »

Very well put, Blue!  I have several grab bag sabers and I have not been disappointed with any other them, it was a grab bag saber that made me really like the color SRD, I'd never really considered it before I got it on a grab bag and saw it in person, looks great with a UE blade! The same can be said of the DSI, I had never really thought about getting one and I've gotten two as grab bags (one with vertical grooves and one without) and now I'm really fond of the hilt. A grab bag is a great way to find a hilt that you might like that you hadn't really considered getting before, same with blade colors.

I agree.  This may well be the first type of purchase I make from US; either a Grab Bag or a Mystery Box.  With Mystery Box, one stands a chance of getting a fully-loaded saber for only $75.  It is not unheard of.  It may not be likely, but there is a chance and for some it has richly paid off.  I don't know of any other sabersmiths that offer grab bags or mystery box sabers. Cudos to US!

You don't know the POWER of the dark side!!

Infinit01
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Grey Assassin

« Reply #454 on: August 28, 2018, 03:51:50 PM »

You never know what you may receive and it'll be the beginning of an addiction that you won't want to give up, either. Let us know what you decide and what you'll receive, DL.

MNewell1
Knight Officer

Force Alignment: 47

« Reply #455 on: September 05, 2018, 06:09:57 PM »

A stunt saber is a good one to own, you can use it in duels without having to worry about damaging any electronics.
Have you ever damaged the electronics in a US during a duel?  Or have you ever heard of someone else doing this? 

I am concerned as I like to heavy duel and may hold off on dueling with my sound saber....

Please let me know.

MNewell1

Sabers Owned:  Crimson Scorpion - Tri FO
                        Aeon v4 - AB
                        Dark Sentinel LE v4 - Tri AS
                        Initiate v3 - Tri CG
                        Apprentice LE v4 - Tri GB

Wish List:  Emperor's Hand - VA
                Dominix LE v4 - SRD

Infinit01
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Grey Assassin

« Reply #456 on: September 05, 2018, 07:04:30 PM »

Have you ever damaged the electronics in a US during a duel?  Or have you ever heard of someone else doing this? 

I am concerned as I like to heavy duel and may hold off on dueling with my sound saber....

Please let me know.

I haven't heard about anyone doing it and I have yet to do so to mine. One of my Initiates have sound and I spin with it regularly, dropping it, smacking it against the floor, furniture, tree, etc.  No issues. About the worse thing to happen is the batteries popping out but it's the Obsidian Lite with 4 AAA batteries and the batteries holders aren't very good like the 14500 Lit-Ion battery holder

Karmack
Forumverse Loremaster
Master of Ceremonies
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1152

Light side points please.

« Reply #457 on: September 05, 2018, 07:34:37 PM »

Please let me know.

The only damage that I've had was from a saber being dropped repeatedly on a very hard floor.  The speaker broke off the end of the battery pack, so the connection was broken and it wouldn't work until I bought a new pack and installed it.    My daughter has had a couple of stunt sabers that have had wires become lose, or simply break from the flexing of moving the packs in and out to put batteries in.  Those just needed a little solder and shrink-wrap.

signature picture by DarthScrub

Master Singer of the Mak'Tor

scifidude79
8-bit Defender of the Aeon Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2106

« Reply #458 on: September 06, 2018, 12:14:14 AM »

I've heard and seen pics of people breaking electronics during duels, including the AAA battery packs in stunts. But, they're easy and cheap to fix/replace.

imgumby001dammit
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 642

The Mighty, Mighty GUM

« Reply #459 on: September 06, 2018, 02:34:26 AM »

I’m super, super hard on all my sabers, and haven’t had any problems as of yet. We treat US products the same way we treat our bokken, as training weapons, and therefore of less importance materially than the act we are engaged in with them. I’m sure at some point it will happen, but I’ve been cracking the $h;! out of my Guardian, and not only had the electronics not been damaged, but there’s barely a scratch on it!

“Someday I will be the most powerful Jedi ever...”

AS

Chance
Force Sensitive

Force Alignment: 0

« Reply #460 on: September 10, 2018, 03:10:13 AM »

Just picked up my first ultra at FAN X this weekend by this method.  I've wanted one for years, but was unsure just looking at the website.  I'm already  "wish listing" sabers for purchase, but my grab bag was a good, inexpensive way to try it out. I could not be more pleased. 

scifidude79
8-bit Defender of the Aeon Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2106

« Reply #461 on: September 10, 2018, 11:19:13 AM »

Just picked up my first ultra at FAN X this weekend by this method.  I've wanted one for years, but was unsure just looking at the website.  I'm already  "wish listing" sabers for purchase, but my grab bag was a good, inexpensive way to try it out. I could not be more pleased. 

Yep, grab bags are how many of us started. What did you get?

Infinit01
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Grey Assassin

« Reply #462 on: September 10, 2018, 11:36:52 AM »

Yep, grab bags are how many of us started. What did you get?

Grab bags and mystery boxes are the Ultrasabers' drug dealer version of discounted sabers to get you hooked

Admiralbuttscar
Knight Aspirant

Force Alignment: 2

« Reply #463 on: September 18, 2018, 05:05:50 AM »

Nice info

Dark_Lord
Knight Apprentice

Force Alignment: 1

Don't make me destroy you!!

« Reply #464 on: October 26, 2018, 12:11:21 PM »

You never know what you may receive and it'll be the beginning of an addiction that you won't want to give up, either. Let us know what you decide and what you'll receive, DL.

Will do!  i am looking very closely and unabashedly lustfully toward an Apprentice v.5 LE with the SRD LED and a mid-grade blade.  I'm worried about the heavy-grade blade because I saw an UltraSaber review video on YouTube where the reviewer loved SRD, but hated how it looks in a heavy-grade blade.  He opted for UltraEdge Midgrade with SRD.  I'm torn between Midgrade and heavy grade.  Woud an UE midgrade be the very best for SRD?  Hollie, one of the reps you speak with when you get chat assistance on the main site says she has SRD with a heavy-grade blade and loves how it looks.
Any thoughts???

You don't know the POWER of the dark side!!

Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 35   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: