Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35   Go Down
Author Topic: Grab Bag Commentary for First Time Buyers  (Read 203642 times)
Cyclops942
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 534

Fandom mash-ups are fun.

« Reply #495 on: January 17, 2020, 05:26:23 PM »

You "can" add sound to a stunt. If you're handy at soldering, it won't be that big of a job. If you stink at it, you'd probably want to send it back to US to have sound added. However, at that point, bc of shipping, etc you're going to be better off simply buying a new saber with sound. Its honestly more cost effective in the long run.

This is correct... if you’re handy, and have tools (including a drill press to get a bigger hole for the different switch, the soldering setup, and the electrical testing equipment, and...), it’s do-able.  If you send it in to US to have them upgrade it, it’s really a better choice to just get another saber with sound, in my mind.  It’s why the first saber I bought 5 years ago is still a stunt saber, and why I now have an Azure Fallen with Diamond for my first saber with sound.

LEGEND: 🔇= Stunt, 🔊= V4 Premium Sound, ⚡= Flash on Clash, 💎= Diamond Controller

__Aeon LE v3 🔇 in CG  __Initiate v2 🔇 in FO  __Initiate v2 🔇 in AB  __Dark Apprentice LE v5 🔇 in AS  Dark Catalyst in BH 🔊 ⚡AS  __Crimson Scorpion 🔊 BR⚡GB  __Azure Fallen 💎 in DVA fading to VA , ⚡ AS  __Frankensaber 💎 in SY fading to CG with ⚡ GB  — Currently traveling with co-owner

Light Side points preferred, when warranted

Galef
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 209

Light side preferred, Dark side accepted

« Reply #496 on: January 20, 2020, 11:18:23 PM »

There are 3 reasons I'd get a Grab bag over a Mystery box:

1) You can order it without the blade and save some money. If you already have a heathy collection of sabers, that's a good option
2) If you include the blade, there's no increase charge for Heavy and you are guaranteed a 36" blade. So even if you end up with a V2 Initiate (the lowest end saber, you are can get it with a 36" Heavy for $5 cheaper than a V2 Initiate that was upgraded to those
3) GBs are eligible for discounts while MBs are not.

4th bonus reason - You can pick your color, which is important to me, but it upcharges, so you may as well just get the saber you want at that point, IMO

Unless I'm really wanting the chance to win a sound saber (which is a low chance), It's GBs for me

-

Cyclops942
Knight Commander

Fandom mash-ups are fun.

« Reply #497 on: January 21, 2020, 07:18:38 PM »

1) You can order it without the blade and save some money. If you already have a heathy collection of sabers, that's a good option
2) If you include the blade, there's no increase charge for Heavy and you are guaranteed a 36" blade. So even if you end up with a V2 Initiate (the lowest end saber, you are can get it with a 36" Heavy for $5 cheaper than a V2 Initiate that was upgraded to those

4th bonus reason - You can pick your color, which is important to me, but it upcharges, so you may as well just get the saber you want at that point, IMO

Unless I'm really wanting the chance to win a sound saber (which is a low chance), It's GBs for me

-

Interesting breakdown.  Thanks for the analysis!

__Aeon LE v3 🔇 in CG  __Initiate v2 🔇 in FO  __Initiate v2 🔇 in AB  __Dark Apprentice LE v5 🔇 in AS  Dark Catalyst in BH 🔊 ⚡AS  __Crimson Scorpion 🔊 BR⚡GB  __Azure Fallen 💎 in DVA fading to VA , ⚡ AS  __Frankensaber 💎 in SY fading to CG with ⚡ GB  — Currently traveling with co-owner

Melbourne0
Knight Apprentice

Force Alignment: 1

« Reply #498 on: January 28, 2020, 04:05:29 PM »

One other point, if you are comfortable with DIY, stunts make a cheap starting point to customize or add sound later.

-

haydendavid380
Knight Arbiter

Force Alignment: 31

« Reply #499 on: January 28, 2020, 04:54:44 PM »

From the videos I've seen GB's in, it seems you have a better chance at getting a higher value. Not overall cost, but I've seen more $100-$200 hilts versus MB, albeit soundless but more expensive hilts none the less. With the MB's you may get sound, but even on the off chance you get sound/emerald/diamond it seems a majority are still in entry level hilts that seem to top out around dark/standard issue. I've seen maybe half a dozen top tier sabers come out of MB's in the hundreds of videos I've watched. With the GB's I've seen many more "nicer" hilts.

What's your guys' thoughts on this?

Lover of the light side

drEe
Knight Lieutenant

Force Alignment: 13

Life long Star Wars nerd but not yet a Master

« Reply #500 on: March 23, 2020, 03:31:29 PM »

This is some great information.
I used the grab bag as an intro to the hobby. I knew I was not going to get something I really wanted and the hope for a particular variation was alive but not expected to be met.

I can say the experience gave me confidence in the manufacturer and increased my interest in obtaining the items I want. That enabled me to justify the large expense of the one I wanted to custom build.

I appreciate this option in purchasing and I feel if one can understand you will not get what you really want but you will get something representing the quality of the company, you can have satisfaction in your choice of having no choice. Smiley

I would encourage zero expectations and you will be happy with the simple items you get and surprised if something fancy is received.

DrEe Windu

MVHI JEDI
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 115

"Sometimes I amaze even MYSELF."

« Reply #501 on: May 28, 2020, 05:00:43 PM »

I still don't quite get the difference between grab bag and mystery box.  Mystery Box can be ANYTHING and the GrabBag is always a stunt?

LIGHT SIDE POINTS APPRECIATED WHEN EARNED.

Galef
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 209

Light side preferred, Dark side accepted

« Reply #502 on: May 28, 2020, 05:23:01 PM »

I still don't quite get the difference between grab bag and mystery box.  Mystery Box can be ANYTHING and the GrabBag is always a stunt?
As I posted above, the biggest difference is control.
Sure you could get anything with a MB, but the chances are very high that you'll get something that a GB would be as well.
And if you are ok with that, you have options to either not include the blade, or upgrade to Heavy and STILL be cheaper than a MB.
And the biggest bonus IMO is that GBs are eligible for coupon codes, which will make them that much cheaper.

-

Sakura No Kaze
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -175

DS if I've earned a point.

« Reply #503 on: May 28, 2020, 05:28:46 PM »

I still don't quite get the difference between grab bag and mystery box.  Mystery Box can be ANYTHING and the GrabBag is always a stunt?

Grab Bag is ALWAYS a stunt saber, usually (but not always) from the Initiate/Apprentice/Aeon/Dominix lines (I've personally received a DSI and a Liberator, and I've seen posts of people receiving a Bellicose, so higher end sabers are possible, just really rare). Grab Bag sabers also give you the option to choose LED color or have it be random. Grab Bags are often former convention display sabers that may have small cosmetic flaws in the hilt.

Unless you pay for a Mystery Box with guaranteed sound, they are usually also stunt sabers. But not always. It's possible, but rare, to get very lucky and get a sound saber in a $75 Mystery Box. Mystery Boxes will also have a guaranteed minimum retail value of $75.00, meaning less expensive hilts will have switch and or pommel upgrades. You cannot choose LED color or anything else at all about the saber (except blade type). Mystery boxes can be ANY saber hilt, or possibly (very rarely) a Frankensaber.

Personally I prefer the Grab Bags if I feel like ordering a non-specific stunt saber, partially because I like to be able to choose LED color, and mostly because, with a few exceptions, all of the saber hilts I prefer are in the Dark Liberator and below price range.

From the videos I've seen GB's in, it seems you have a better chance at getting a higher value. Not overall cost, but I've seen more $100-$200 hilts versus MB, albeit soundless but more expensive hilts none the less. With the MB's you may get sound, but even on the off chance you get sound/emerald/diamond it seems a majority are still in entry level hilts that seem to top out around dark/standard issue. I've seen maybe half a dozen top tier sabers come out of MB's in the hundreds of videos I've watched. With the GB's I've seen many more "nicer" hilts.

What's your guys' thoughts on this?
I know this is an old post, but I'm going to answer it anyway since I'm here.

It all depends on when you order. When The Force Awakens was released, US sold out of pretty much every hilt variation in the Initiate/Apprentice/Aeon/Dominix lines. I mean all of them. All the "standard," all the Dark, all the LE's, all the v2's, v3's, and v4's (v5's weren't available quite yet). So if you ordered a Grab Bag then, chances were VERY good you'd get a higher end saber (this is when I got my DSI and Liberator grab bags). Prior to this time, about the highest end hilt seen from a Grab Bag was a Prophecy. During this time, hilts anywhere between a Bellicose and a Consular were going out, simply because they didn't have anything else to send. And a lot of people made videos because until then higher end sabers were incredibly rare in Grab Bags. If you order a Grab Bag right now, I would expect something from the Initiate/Apprentice/Aeon/Dominix lines, maybe (probably not) up to a DSI or Liberator since there are a few hilts from those lines that are currently sold out.

Fun Trivia Note: There are semi-confirmed rumors that one of the reasons US sold out of the lower end sabers at this time, beyond the movie excitement, was the Disney bought A LOT of sabers for their new (at the time) Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge attraction.

Give a person an answer to their question and they get your answer. Teach a person how to use the forum Search function, and they get everyone's answer.
---------------------------------------------------------------
"My battery is low and it's getting dark" ~Final message from the Mars Opportunity rover, after exceeding it's 90 day mission plan by 14+ years.

MVHI JEDI
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 115

"Sometimes I amaze even MYSELF."

« Reply #504 on: June 12, 2020, 12:25:07 AM »

Extremely well done post.  Bravo.

LIGHT SIDE POINTS APPRECIATED WHEN EARNED.

Starflicker
Knight Sergeant

Force Alignment: 16

I Wanna the Hero but the Villains having more fun

« Reply #505 on: August 10, 2020, 03:06:05 PM »

I just ordered a trio of Grab Bag Sabers, just the hilts, to get some more sabers to play with.
I left the color to random because I have no idea which one I'd like to get first.
I am actually hoping for a v2 of some form or another and an initiate or apprentice, but I'll be happy with anything.

Is it just me, or is this hobby addictive?

Newly Obsessed with Sabers
Aeon v4 Windows BVA, Aeon v3 BR, Dark Initiate v2 BR, Archon v2.1 GB, Bellicose SRD, Aeon v2 GB, Initiate v3 GB, Dark Apprentice v4 Windows CG, Dominix v5 Diamond, Dark Apprentice v4 windows Staff Stunt AS, Dark Apprentice v5 Obsidian v4 CG with FO FoC, Azure Mantis GB Obsidian Lite

I need to stop. Or, ya know, win the lottery.

Wish List: Too long to be placed here.

Cyclops942
Knight Commander

Fandom mash-ups are fun.

« Reply #506 on: August 10, 2020, 06:56:06 PM »

I just ordered a trio of Grab Bag Sabers, just the hilts, to get some more sabers to play with.
I left the color to random because I have no idea which one I'd like to get first.
I am actually hoping for a v2 of some form or another and an initiate or apprentice, but I'll be happy with anything.

Oh, I’m pretty sure it’s just you.  Nobody else has more than one saber.

/s

Sakura No Kaze
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -175

DS if I've earned a point.

« Reply #507 on: August 10, 2020, 07:47:14 PM »

It's not an addiction, I can quit anytime US stops making sabers.

Give a person an answer to their question and they get your answer. Teach a person how to use the forum Search function, and they get everyone's answer.
---------------------------------------------------------------
"My battery is low and it's getting dark" ~Final message from the Mars Opportunity rover, after exceeding it's 90 day mission plan by 14+ years.

Jedi_Phoenix
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 223

Light side points preferred if I earn them....

« Reply #508 on: August 10, 2020, 08:05:29 PM »

It's not an addiction, I can quit anytime US stops making sabers.

No addiction here...once I get all the sabers on my wishlist, I'll be fine.  It's a long wishlist, but never mind that.... Grin

Doing the best I can with what I've got...

PERSONAL ARSENAL:
The Fallen - Tri-cree Silver
Initiate V2 - Guardian Blue
Apprentice V4 - Fire Orange
Apprentice LE V5 - Blazing Red
Shock - Consular Green
Frankensaber "Emerald Fury" - Consular Green w/ Silver flash
Emperor's Hand - Violet Amethyst w/ silver flash
The Guardian - Guardian Blue w/ silver flash

FAMILY SABERS:
Aeon LE v5 - Tri-cree Guardian Blue
Archon v2.1 - Tri-cree Consular Green
Savior - Violet Amethyst
Manticore - Tri-cree Blazing Red
Princess (golden) - Violet Amethyst

Starflicker
Knight Sergeant

Force Alignment: 16

I Wanna the Hero but the Villains having more fun

« Reply #509 on: August 19, 2020, 06:06:25 AM »

Quick follow up for my previous comment about ordering a trio of Grab Bag Sabers...

1) Aeon v2 in Guardian Blue, beautiful hilt just begging for customization, not thrilled with the color, but it will power a Photon Blade nicely. Love the balance and size. So easy in the hand. Going with a 32 in blade for a little better speed and much more control.

2) Initiate v3 in Guardian Blue, very comfortable hilt, excellent potential for customization, again not thrilled with the color but I think this one needs a 16 inch or 24 inch blade so I can use it for my little nephew. Also I think MBs and GBs are the only places to get any v3s at this time.

3) Dark Apprentice v4 in Consular Green, love it. Needs a 16 inch blade to be a shoto or a 24 inch for an off hand saber, very confortable and has windows. Might be a good option to add to a staff... now I just need a coupler... or maybe a yari extension...

All three have Silver A/V Switches.

Very Happy with the purchase and it showed up quickly.

Newly Obsessed with Sabers
Aeon v4 Windows BVA, Aeon v3 BR, Dark Initiate v2 BR, Archon v2.1 GB, Bellicose SRD, Aeon v2 GB, Initiate v3 GB, Dark Apprentice v4 Windows CG, Dominix v5 Diamond, Dark Apprentice v4 windows Staff Stunt AS, Dark Apprentice v5 Obsidian v4 CG with FO FoC, Azure Mantis GB Obsidian Lite

I need to stop. Or, ya know, win the lottery.

Wish List: Too long to be placed here.

Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: