Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: The Avengers 2: Ultron Design and Origins Officially Revealed  (Read 7423 times)
Kham-Ryn Kurios
Sentinel Prime; Knight of the HoloNet Order
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 1723

I am Mr. Yellow.

« on: July 16, 2014, 05:30:43 PM »

Star Mark Ruffalo already spilled the beans that the cast of The Avengers: Age of Ultron will be taking to the stage at Comic-Con next Saturday during the Marvel Studios’ panel, giving us our first look at the larger cast of the sequel all together for the first time. It’s a followup to Marvel’s Comic-Con 2010 presentation where they first unveiled the core cast of the first Avengers.

Director Joss Whedon has a little bit of footage to for Age of Ultron and teasing the incoming unveil of James Spader’s villainous Ultron, Entertainment Weekly just unveiled their latest cover issue featuring the co-leaders of The Avengers standing alongside the dangerous killer robot.

Below is your first official look at Ulton – or at least, one version of him – from The Avengers: Age of Ultron:

Long-time Marvel Comics readers will be delighted to see the faithful adaptation of Ultron’s design but keep in mind that we know actor James Spader (The Blacklist) will be doing motion capture and face capture for his performance. He’s not just a voice so either that face open’s up to reveal something akin to Spader’s real look or Ultron, in his efforts to become stronger, continuously upgrades himself/evolves and we get a slightly more humanoid version later. After all, we know The Vision (Paul Bettany), another new character joining The Avengers 2, will have his real face like the Vision from the comics as well.

Aslo note the superhero duds of Steve Rogers aka Captain America (Chris Evans) and Tony Stark aka Iron Man  Robert Downey Jr.). Iron Man’s suit is very similar to his Iron Man 3 (more tan than red) colors with more red on the chest. Cap’s new suit is a blend of his Stealth Suit from Captain America: The Winter Soldier but bringing back the red with some darker shades for all the colors.

Ultron in Marvel Comics

It’s difficult to make out in the cover image but Cap’s new suit features The Avengers symbol (the “A”) on his arm, something we’ll be seeing from the new team as they use Stark’s tower as their official base of operations and get new costumes. Cap’s Suit and an early makeshift version of Ultron appeared in unofficial set photos and we’ve seen the other Ultrons (in the background of this cover) in the first official Avengers: Age of Ultron concept art (one example below featuring Aaron Taylor-Johnson’s Quicksilver).

The most interesting information is the quotes and story details the EW cover story also provides about Ultron’s new origins (Hank Pym aka Ant-Man creates Ultron int the comics). What we suspected last year about Tony Stark being responsible is true. With S.H.I.E.L.D. no longer serving as Earth’s defense and first response against the unknown and other-worldly it’s up to The Avengers. And to help them out and given them a break, Stark develops Ultron, a sentient program, an artificial intelligence that will him to serve as an Avenger without actually suiting up himself – building off of what we saw in Iron Man 3 (and Iron Legion of automated suits).

This self-aware AI – perhaps an evolution of JARVIS from the Iron Man films and The Avengers 1 - can locate threats and control Stark’s legion of drone suits to deal with them… until Ultron decides that humans are the greatest threat. Joss Whedon, while smiling and rubbing his hands together:

“Ultron sees the big picture and he goes, ‘Okay, we need radical change, which will be violent and appalling, in order to make everything better’; he’s not just going ‘Muhaha, soon I’ll rule!’ He’s on a mission. He wants to save us.”

Guardians of the Galaxy opens August 1, 2014, The Avengers: Age of Ultron on May 1, 2015, Ant-Man on July 17, 2015, Captain America 3 on May 6 2016, and unannounced films for July 8 2016 and May 5 2017.

Sauce: http://screenrant.com/avengers-2-official-ultron-photo-reveal/

/LIGHT SIDE POINTS PLEASE\
‎Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Jev Moldara
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1280

The Mad Professor

« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2014, 05:51:01 PM »

Knew it.

Damnit, Stark!

Mad Science means never stopping to ask "What's the worst that could happen?"

Nothing is forgotten. Nothing is ever forgotten.

RLYHYPERGUY
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 178

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2014, 06:43:57 PM »

Perfect! Perfect! PERFECT!!!

My hype just skyrocketed. What a great way to build off of Iron Man 3! That's much more meaningful than shoehorning Pym in for comic accuracy.

Like the suits also, although Cap's is just a touch too busy for my tastes.

RLYHYPERGUY
Knight Commander

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2014, 07:23:02 PM »

Some more pictures from within the issue, thanks to Comicbookmovie.

Looks like we got shots of all the characters, including Electric Punch Black Widow (they better make an action figure), Hawkeye's new duds, Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver (I like his look but I have to admit it's a tad goofy, but Quicksilver always looked goofy in the comics anyway).

Plus, is that a party scene I see?

Grin

Source: http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/JoshWildingNewsAndReviews/news/?a=103721
^ Be Warned: Comicbookmovie tends to have crazy comments sections. Proceed with caution.

Jev Moldara
Knight Commander

The Mad Professor

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2014, 08:07:41 PM »

A realistically dressed Scarlet Witch?

I can dig it.

tse_epic
Knight Arbiter

Force Alignment: 62

Do the Impossible!

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2014, 08:26:43 PM »

I can find literally nothing wrong with Cap's new uniform. Not a blasted thing.

CURRENT WEIGHT LOSS GOAL - 280
CURRENT WEIGHT - 310
CURRENT TOTAL - 102LBS LOST

You are the impossibility of life. Your existence spits in the face of doubt and negativity. You are a walking miracle just by *living*. You are *priceless*. You *mean* something. You are loved.

Never believe otherwise.

sedstiskyfaller
Artisan of the Azure Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 617

Blue is my color, it is who I am

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2014, 09:58:24 PM »

Awesomeness! I can agree that Quicksilver's uniform looks a little cheesy, but the main characters look like they have it going on. Maybe it will look better in the movie though. It seems like everyone got a makeover in the costume department. I'm very excited about this movie.

Jev Moldara
Knight Commander

The Mad Professor

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2014, 11:50:12 PM »

Awesomeness! I can agree that Quicksilver's uniform looks a little cheesy, but the main characters look like they have it going on. Maybe it will look better in the movie though. It seems like everyone got a makeover in the costume department. I'm very excited about this movie.

To be fair, Quicksilver's costume looks like something a runner would wear, so it passes the litmus test for utilitarianism, in my book...

sedstiskyfaller
Artisan of the Azure Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 617

Blue is my color, it is who I am

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2014, 12:32:07 AM »

To be fair, Quicksilver's costume looks like something a runner would wear, so it passes the litmus test for utilitarianism, in my book...

You have a point there. I guess I'm just comparing it to the other heroes' costumes.

RLYHYPERGUY
Knight Commander

« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2014, 02:07:16 AM »

That's why I like it! His overall look may be a tad goofy because of the hair, but his suit is definitely functional.

And what throws me off a bit in Cap's uniform is the red pattern extending out from the star, plus the red stripes on the sleeves. They feel like a bit much to me.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2014, 02:17:48 AM by RLYHYPERGUY » Logged

tse_epic
Knight Arbiter

Force Alignment: 62

Do the Impossible!

« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2014, 02:21:26 AM »

Considering how muted the Red is in comparison to his Avengers costume, it's welcome. Especially after how *grey* his Cap 2 costume was. I know it was a stealth suit and all, but... THE STAR SPANGLED MAN WITH THE PLAN, MAN!

Also, it adds more Freedom to his suit.

CURRENT WEIGHT LOSS GOAL - 280
CURRENT WEIGHT - 310
CURRENT TOTAL - 102LBS LOST

You are the impossibility of life. Your existence spits in the face of doubt and negativity. You are a walking miracle just by *living*. You are *priceless*. You *mean* something. You are loved.

Never believe otherwise.

RLYHYPERGUY
Knight Commander

« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2014, 02:46:43 AM »

Considering how muted the Red is in comparison to his Avengers costume, it's welcome. Especially after how *grey* his Cap 2 costume was. I know it was a stealth suit and all, but... THE STAR SPANGLED MAN WITH THE PLAN, MAN!

Also, it adds more Freedom to his suit.

Haha I know what it means it's just... could they have done it a bit differently?

I mean, they could've done red gloves.

It's not that it's bad, it's just a little nitpick that sticks out because the rest of the suit is so perfect.

Kham-Ryn Kurios
Sentinel Prime; Knight of the HoloNet Order
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 1723

I am Mr. Yellow.

« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2014, 02:33:03 PM »

The Avengers 2: Ultron and The Vision Introductions Explained

WARNING: Possible Spoilers!!!

The veil has been lifted on Joss Whedon’s sequel to The Avengers and story details are beginning to roll in. After announcing the title of the film last year at Comic-Con International, Earth’s Mightiest (read: Disney’s mightiest at the box office) return to the annual pop culture and comic book event in San Diego next week for a hotly anticipated panel presentation where we expect major revelations regarding the next few years of the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

The cast of the sequel will return to the stage at the infamous 6000-person Hall H in the San Diego Convention Center after they appeared for the first time four years ago in one of the biggest moments in the Con’s history. This time however, the cast is quite a bit bigger and they’ve got some first-look exclusive footage to debut.

A new threat is emerging in the Marvel Cinematic Universe and it might be Earth’s most dangerous yet. This antagonist is so worthy that “he” (as it refers to himself) even gets his name in the title of the film: The Avengers: Age of Ultron.

Entertainment Weekly published their Comic-Con preview double-issue this week and Marvel Studios got the cover story with The Avengers: Age of Ultron. The cover art revealed the first official image of Ultron alongside the co-leaders of The Avengers – Captain America (Chris Evans) and Iron Man (Robert Downey Jr.). The new origin story of Ultron was also confirmed, one that differs slightly but remains largely faithful to Marvel Comics.

Ultron’s Origin

Ultron is an artificially intelligent robot and in the comics, he’s created by scientist Hank Pym (the first Ant-Man who will be played by Michael Douglas in next year’s Ant-Man movie). In the Marvel Cinematic Universe however, it’s Tony Stark who creates Ultron instead and the Phase 2 movies have been building towards this. In Iron Man 3, Tony Stark makes use of his AI assistant JARVIS (voiced by Paul Bettany) to help command automated Iron Man suites. Stark can control his own remotely, without directly putting himself into danger and JARVIS can control a small army of reinforcements. Although we didn’t know it at the time, this was leading into what he’s doing in The Avengers sequel.

Combine that evolution of Stark’s arsenal with the fall of S.H.I.E.L.D. in Captain America: The Winter Soldier and you can piece together what Stark would logically do next. He’s bankrolling The Avengers and his Stark Tower – retrofitted after the events of The Avengers – is their HQ. Stark’s big project now, to help police the world and assist the team, is Ultron – a program that can automatically identify and neutralize threats using automated Iron Man suits. Think of them as next-level Drones that use Stark Industries tech. This is the Iron Legion, a term nabbed from the Iron Man comics.

In an effort to make Ultron’s artificial intelligence more human, Stark does the best he can at building his personality into Ultron but that ends up being a recipe for disaster. Before Stark’s kidnapping in the first Iron Man, he didn’t have the most admirable personality and mindset, and so Ultron takes things to the extreme, believing that the most dangerous thing on the planet are humans and The Avengers.

The Avengers Tower Party

Ultron’s dark turn becomes apparent during a party at The Avengers Tower early  in the film where Stark and co. are celebrating the launch of Ultron, a sequence that was previously rumored and recently proven true. It’s here where we’ll meet plenty of familiar faces (cameos!) dressed in casual clothing and towards the end, when the guests leave and only the familiar faces remain, Ultron makes his intentions known and a brawl breaks out.

“I know you’re ‘good’ people. I know you mean well… but you just didn’t think it through… There is only one path to peace… your extermination.”

The Avengers are able to hold their own despite not being suited up or armed but this moment radically changes the landscape of the what the heroes know about themselves and their newest threat… and that is only the first variant of a hyper-intelligent Ultron who has decided to pursue his own lethal course of action…

Creation Becomes Creator

Ultron Creates Vision

During the course of the film, Ultron aims to prove that he’s more than artificial, that he can create life too and just like in Marvel Comics, he creates The Vision, a more humanoid synthetic, an Android who in the books becomes a powerful member of The Avengers. Joss Whedon and the cast are remaining tight-lipped on Vision and no official image of Paul Bettany in costume has released yet, but we do know that his design is also very faithful to the comics.

More interestingly, Paul Bettany’s role as the The Vision, after voicing JARVIS in the MCU since 2008, has been in the plan for a long while and we’ll learn more about that throughout the course of The Avengers: Age of Ultron. What we do know is that at least for part of the film, The Vision, alongside the “twins” Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch are actually on Ultron’s team but that’s not an allegiance that can last. All three of those characters serve as heroic Avengers at multiple points in the comics so expect some twists and turns on who fights who.

The Vision also strikes up a romantic relationship with Scarlet Witch in the books too so expect some potentially awkward moments between the Twins and him.

As for Ultron, not only can he replicate himself and command a legion of weaponized, robotic centurions, but he continuously evolves, upgrading himself. Expect him to become more and more human over the span of the film, with later versions taking more of the motion and face capture of actor James Spader into the performance.

Guardians of the Galaxy opens August 1, 2014, The Avengers: Age of Ultron on May 1, 2015, Ant-Man on July 17, 2015, Captain America 3 on May 6 2016, and unannounced films for July 8 2016 and May 5 2017.

Sauce: http://screenrant.com/avengers-2-ultron-vision-origins-spoilers/2/

/LIGHT SIDE POINTS PLEASE\
‎Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you. - Friedrich Nietzsche

RLYHYPERGUY
Knight Commander

« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2014, 06:20:17 PM »

I really like it that Tony Stark is the creator rather than Pym. Despite the joys of fiction, it was always a little weird to have a biochemist create robots. It also adds some nice stuff to his overall character arc (I believe I mentioned something about that earlier).

And a small confession: I used to be really into Mighty Beanz, the Marvel ones especially, which is how I heard of so many characters. The Vision was one of those so, naturally, I'm really excited to see him.  Cheesy

Darth_Phobius47
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -176

Hawkbat 5

« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2014, 12:50:13 PM »

Wait, is Don Cheadle gonna be in this movie? War Machine joining the Avengers on the big screen? EPICNESS!!!!

(War Machine is one of my favorite Marvel heroes)

My Arsenal

Dark Arbiter w/sound custom~EG/AS
Dark Standard v3~FO
Dark Liberator v3 (bro)~CG
Initiate v3 (sis)~VA
Grab Bag: Dark SI v3 vert grooves~BR
Consular w/sound~BR/FO
Menace SE w/sound~CG/FO
Raffle prizes: Graflex w/sound~GB/AS
                    Malice w/sound~BR/VA

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print