Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Review: First US - Grab bag! (Pics)  (Read 4486 times)
Kamodius
Knight Apprentice

Force Alignment: 5

I shouldn't touch the glowy part, right?

« on: July 19, 2014, 06:12:36 PM »

Greetings everyone!  Just going to write down a few initial thoughts, as I just received my grab bag from US, which is also as I've said my first lightsaber since I was a kid. (Too many years, don't ask)

Bear in mind that these are initial impressions.  The FedEx guy just dropped this off 15 minutes ago, so everything in my head is still fresh, first impressions.

1) Packaging: Very well done, wrapped well in bubble wrap, no packing peanuts to speak of, but the saber was very secure and without damage that I can find.

2) What is it?  As my grab bag, it seems that I received a Standard Issue v3.

As a very pleasant surprise, I didn't get the solid pommel, but instead got the open-holed pommel for the SI with sound.

The only thing about this particular pommel I'm not wild about is that it's not vented, it's just... a hole.  Leaves the battery pack rather exposed to the elements (or accidents, there are kids in the house), so I expect that since it's MHS compatible, I'll find something to replace it.  Perhaps a Catalyst pommel to keep the smooth lines.

3) Quality and first impressions: The blade is the only part of the grab bag that I specified, and I'd asked for an Arctic Blue Ultra Edge blade.  I'm very pleased with the quality of the blade and hilt itself.  The hilt feels sturdy, a bit heavier than expected (having no point of reference, this isn't a negative), and solid.  Also just a wee bit thicker than anticipated for some reason.  Also not a negative; that's purely because intellectually reading the dimensions doesn't really prepare you for the in-hand feeling.  I'm not worried about this hilt, even were I to drop it on concrete.  The blade itself is free of mars or defects save one odd dark spot about 4" down from the blade tip, and a quick swipe with a towel removed various shipping detritus.

For any potential purchaser that's wondering about the price tags, let me tell you: These things are quality.  When Emory says that Ultrasabers are made for dueling, I can see what he means.  In my first couple of minutes of spinning this thing around to get used to it, I inadvertantly hit our ceiling fan.  Not a scratch on the blade.  There's a sense of security in knowing you're not holding a fragile toy.

I'll edit this once I put new batteries into it, but I will say that the only thing even resembling a let-down is the blade's brightness.  After reading so many reviews of "this thing could light up the house" I was expecting quite a lot, and out of the box, that's not my experience.  The color through the UltraEdge blade is pretty even and I love the Arctic Blue, and while it's obviously a bit brighter down at the hilt, I didn't get a "light up the room" feeling, let alone the house.  Again, this may have been inflated expectation from all the reviews, or it may be low batteries.  I'll revisit this one after I put some quality batteries in this thing.

I will also come back and give a longer-term review after I've broken it in a bit.

Packaging: 9/10 - If I were retentive, I might've put a few more peanuts, but that's seriously just a minor quibble because I hate perfect scores. Wink

Build Quality: 10/10 - Okay, I hate perfect scores, but this hilt is just unbelievable.  I'm glad I got a Standard Issue as my first saber.  It's somewhat utilitarian and plain, but it also gives me a chance to really see the Ultrasabers build quality, and it's sterling.

Blade Quality: 9/10 - Only missing perfection because of the one, very small dark spot (maybe 1/8") near the top of the blade.  For a mid-grade blade, this thing is tough.

LED/Color: 9/10 - Not quite as bright as imagined, but with new batteries that might well change.  The color is, and I can't stress this enough, beautiful.  It's not just a cyan color, as I feared it might be.  It's got more blue in it than that.  Think of the bluest summer sky you've seen, that's the color of this blade.  Very reminiscent of Luke's saber from ANH.

Emory, you've got a great product here, and I will be recommending it to anyone that's interested, and I'll be ordering my next saber pretty soon, I think.  I've decided to probably ratchet up in terms of complexity, so now that I have a baseline, I'll move to a Dominix v3 stunt, then on to the sabers I'm drooling over presently, the Overlord and Archon.

Thanks for reading, folks!

-kamo

AB Standard Issue v3 (First saber!)
-------------------------------------------------------
-There is no emotion, there is peace.
-There is no ignorance, there is knowledge.
-There is no passion, there is serenity.
-There is no death, there is the Force.

Hibyrd
Knight Officer

Force Alignment: 37

« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2014, 07:08:20 PM »

Yup standard issue. Nice score and color choice! I love arctic blue. I think that it would look great with a catalyst pommel.  Post pics when you get a new pommel.

I have noticed that the stunt sabers are not as bright as the w/sound versions, but with a fresh set of batteries even the stunt sabers are bright. Enjoy!

Bellicose RGB
Archon V2.1 CG Obsidian w/Foc Orange
Malice BR Obsidian w/Foc Orange
Prophecy CE V2 BR
Liberator AB
Dark Standard Issue Staff GB
Dominix v2 LE FO
Manticore Emerald RGBW
Dominix v2 AS
Crimson Reaper AB Obsisian w/FOC silver
Initiate

hazard502
Vanguard of the Archon Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2272

[Give Light Side Points!]

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2014, 05:40:28 AM »

Good review Kamodius, I really like the SI hilt and the AB looks REALLY smooth with it.  I got a Dark Initiate LE V3 as my first saber(which I like) but looking back I wish I had gone with the SI.  I decided on the Archon as my "big" purchase and when I got it, it blew my doors off. I've had it since Jan and I still highly admire it Smiley Congrats on your first US, I've found the brightness of mine to be on par with what I would expect so hopefully it will turn out the same for you.

Customized Flamberge/BR, Customized LostGray/HP or Tri-AS

James Casey
Forum Watchman
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1510

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2014, 01:00:39 PM »

Lucky return on the grab bag - the Standard Issue is simple, but very nice to hold. That was my last purchase, although I went for a silver blade.

The brightness of the blade isn't a straight replacement for a proper room bulb (yet!) but it should be pretty bright. In a dark room you can definitely get by using an Ultrasaber to light your way (I speak from experience, as mine are stored in my highly-cluttered garage).

Glad you like yours, and good luck finding a pommel to suit. I'm a big fan of the solid pommel for this hilt, but I know that the Catalyst pommel is popular with a lot of people for the extra couple of inches of grip. The Shock pommel might work, too.

"I'll split this world open and tear down the sky before I let him come to even the slightest harm."

Zren Tobas
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -2031

[Give Light Side Points!] [Give Dark Side Points!]

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2014, 05:50:13 AM »

Or the Manticore high pommel.

Sabers: Liberator V3 CG ObsV4 sound!, Graflex GB, Overlord AB, Crimson Savior BR, Bane PO, Dark Initiate V2 LE BH, Shock GB, Archon V2.1 CG, Dark Sentinel LE GB ObSLite!, Standard Issue V3 CG, Dominix V3 LE BR, Sentinel SRD, Dominix V2 FO
Next sabers: Dark Prophecy BVA, Negotiator AS, Enigma EG, Brylark CE SY
[/url]SW1 by joshgarcia07[/url

Prowl 1701
Mentor of the Prophecy Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 830

We're all just dreams in the end...

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2014, 06:04:15 AM »

I have two of the SI's darker brother, the DSI, and find them very comfortable to hold. Your SI looks good in AB!

Molina00
Forum Emissary
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 459

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2014, 03:05:48 AM »

A little bit late, but congratulations on your first saber.  The SI is a excellent starter saber and looks great in arctic blue.  As James Casey said, it is a simple hilt, but it's smooth and sleek and elegant in it's own way.  Plus it's like a blank slate if you want to do customizing.  I painted all the gooves and top of the emitter of mine gold to make a sort of LE version. 

I felt a great disturbance in the force as if millions of nerds cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced.

Integrity can accommodate the inadvertent error and the honest difference of opinion; it cannot accommodate deceit or subordination of principle.

Choco
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 53

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2014, 05:57:58 AM »

Congrats on your first saber my first from US was also a SI though I got the dark version with grooves in BR

You'll be pleased to know that yes the pommel is MHS compatible so you can easily buy a solid or vented one and have the one with a hole if you later decide to upgrade it to have sound

[img width= height=]http://sigs.enjin.com/sig-swtor/c021b8deb34e1a14.png[/img]

Sabers I own

Emerald 4 channel Manticore
Dark Standard Issue - BR (grab bag)
Liberator - FO (Grab bag)

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: