Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Do I have a problem with my saber?  (Read 1578 times)
AC5FF
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: 1

« on: July 22, 2014, 12:02:40 AM »

Seems like I have had nothing but questions since receiving my saber on Friday; but another one popped up today.

I have still been trying to get my Emerald Driver to connect to my computer.  The Obsidian Sound Board is doing the same thing; but I have been working to get the LED driver screen to work.

Tonight I got home from work with another new USB cable.  Different manufacturer.  When I powered up the saber and connected the USB to the computer it tried to install drivers and failed (again).  Same problem I have been having.  However tonight shortly thereafter the saber powered down on its own.  It would not power back on.  After removing the batteries for a few and reinstalling the saber flashed then I got the Obsidian startup sound.  I can then power up the saber for about 10 seconds and it shuts down.   I have to remove the batteries and put them back in to be able to power up again - but the cycle just repeats.  Powers down after about 10 seconds.

I got mine in the mail Friday afternoon (18th).  That night I charged up the batteries and since messed around with it for a while, showed a few friends, tried to connect it to the computer, but no extended use.  Tough to put a total "ON" time to it but I would easily say less than 1/2hr in total.

From the way it is acting I want to say the batteries are shot and need a recharge.  They are currently charging.  However, does 1/2hr sound about the run time for the batteries in these?  With all my connection problems I am wondering if I do not have a problem elsewhere...

Thx!

Dnarvel
Knight Officer

Force Alignment: 15

« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2014, 12:21:24 AM »

Did you charge the batteries when you got them? They come with only a small charge in them and should be fully charged before use. I had that problem (the on for 10 seconds then off) and after a battery charge everything worked properly again. Try that first, then see if the problem persists. With the Obsidian problem, I found that when I plugged it in then powered it up, it seemed to work better. Also, did you download the latest version of both from the website?

Hope it can get figured out.

War Glaive FO w/ BR FoC
Dominix V2 in BR (Grab Bag)
Aeon in CG (Grab Bag)
Initiate V3 BR

AC5FF
Knight Lance Corporal

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2014, 12:37:46 AM »

In all honesty - I had the saber delivered to work; and there was very little chance of it making it home and through a charge cycle before being powered up!  But yes, I did fully charge the batteries once I got home.  They have only been charged once; but like I mentioned, I have only had the thing for 3 days now.  Smiley

As for the connection problem; I just don't know.  I just downloaded the program; 3.1.4 verified - and it runs saying version 3.2.1 which I have found out is correct. 

The wait is on now..  Fingers still crossed...

hazard502
Vanguard of the Archon Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2272

[Give Light Side Points!]

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2014, 02:56:53 AM »

For connecting to the computer: PC USB in first, power saber on, mini USB into saber, then open obsidian program.  Should be that order every time.  
To disconnect: upload sound/color settings, after complete - shut down program, then disconnect USB from either saber or computer.

New batteries used before a full charge significantly reduces life, learned from experience and ended up throwing a pair away and getting a new set.  With properly charged batteries I get hours of use per day for up to 4 days before recharging.

Once you know where your batteries stand and if your unexpected shut down persists, you should contact US as their hilts cover a full warranty for 3 months, but no longer than that!  I have sent a hilt in for repair from factory defects and they took good care of me.

Edit: sometimes my saber doesn't connect to my PC right away either, and I have had to try up to 3 times before it'll take.  Not sure why, just happens occasionally.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2014, 03:00:20 AM by hazard502 » Logged

Customized Flamberge/BR, Customized LostGray/HP or Tri-AS

AC5FF
Knight Lance Corporal

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2014, 04:02:13 PM »

Guess I need to start shopping for batteries!  Smiley

The saber connected fine, first try with charged batteries.  I was messing around with settings and then I had no light whatever!  Went back to the video US posted and found my problem.  I thought I messed the slider at the bottom up so I moved it back to 0.  No power to the LEDs = no light!  Moved that back to 100% and I'm back in operation.

I'm going to run the batteries out tonight; just leave the thing on for a while, then put them back on the charger and do it again.  I've had some luck doing that with other LiPos that I use. 

I have no doubt that US would take care of me if I had a problem; I just want to be sure it is a real problem before contacting them.  So far everything has been a fault on my own end, not with the saber. 

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: