Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Ordering height appropriate double pommel  (Read 1821 times)
Dauntless Seven
Lady of the Sage Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2037

« on: July 29, 2014, 09:26:31 PM »

Hi.  I am thinking about ordering a saberstaff before the summer raffle ends.  Was going to go with a Phantom Le v3 set up ( should be x2 Dominix v3).   Like the length for two hands without feeling cramped.  However, after watching videos and reading lengths, I am wondering if it is going to be too tall for me?  Am 5'2" with medium sized women's hands.  Perhaps the Phantom Initiate V3 would be more suitable.  I would use 24" blades once I became more skillful and will start with 16'' blades for spinning and not combat.  These will be stunt only with the flush coupler.  I did purchase the open vented adjustable coupler with an order that is yet to come.  I guess standard batteries would be fine instead of the Li-ion set up.

My other question is choosing two different colors.  Was thinking one in FO and the other in BR.  Thought would look good with the black/silver hilts but not especially going for the Sith look.  My other choice was GB and CG.  The reason for the two colors is that it looks visually appealing on some of the videos.  Am not planning on using them separately, but just incase, would order one dark shock and one archon pommel. 

Thanks to everyone who responds to this request and I greatly appreciate any suggestions and advice.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2014, 09:51:16 PM by Dauntless Seven » Logged

Molina00
Forum Emissary
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 459

« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2014, 09:44:18 PM »

I am not familiar with the term double pommel, but the Phantom saberstaff  Wink  without blades would be 24.5" long not counting the coupler.  If you get it with the stand V3 coupler that wouldn't add much length.  The vented coupler however is about 2" long.  Since you are 5'2" I would definitely go with initiate blades.  Assuming the blades go in to the hilt at least 2", it might be more because the emitters are fairly deep on the Dominix, that would be just short of a 6' staff.  If you went with initiate sabers instead that would be closer to 5.5'.  If you went with a standard V3 coupler instead of the vented one that would shave a little extra off the length.

One thing about the 16" blades is once they are in a saber they seem really short, at least to me and I am about a foot taller than you.  I think the 16" blades are more for saber spears and configurations using the Yari extensions.  You could also have blades custom cut for an extra fee if you want them a specific length.

I have a Manticore saber staff with custom cut 28" blades.  It is maybe 3-4" taller than me and I can wield it fairly comfortably. 

I hope this helps.  

I felt a great disturbance in the force as if millions of nerds cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced.

Integrity can accommodate the inadvertent error and the honest difference of opinion; it cannot accommodate deceit or subordination of principle.

DavidOgilvie
Knight Sergeant

Force Alignment: -7

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2014, 10:06:49 PM »

A saber staff that is taller than you definitely looks better than one that is shorter (IMO). So id back up molina's point about the initiates with 24 inch blades - a 5-5 saber staff would mean you could spin it without it hitting the floor (to much!)
Having said that, i have a pair of dominix's with 36" blades, and im only 5-6, and so long as i hold it no lower than round about middle of my torso height i can spin that without to much problem.

Dauntless Seven
Lady of the Sage Order
Knight Commander

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2014, 10:09:05 PM »

Thanks for your quick replies.  I don't know where my focus was and have changed the double pommel to a saberstaff.  The reason that I am going to use 16" blades is because the majority of my practice/exercise is going to be in my apartment higher ceiling living room.  Would have to go to a park or whatnot for wide open space.  Definitely not doing that till I am proficient.  Saw a video with someone single spinning with the short blade and sharing how much he liked the length.  Great idea to order custom lengths.  Will do so next time I need to prop up an order.  Would give you both a point if I could.   Smiley
« Last Edit: July 29, 2014, 10:16:15 PM by Dauntless Seven » Logged

Dauntless Seven
Lady of the Sage Order
Knight Commander

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2014, 11:31:49 PM »

Hopefully I have changed the subject title.  The 28" blades should be good.  Thanks again.

LeoninJesterXII
Knight Lieutenant

Force Alignment: 40

There is no Light Side, or Dark Side of the force.

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2014, 01:00:35 AM »

Hi.  I am thinking about ordering a saberstaff before the summer raffle ends.  Was going to go with a Phantom Le v3 set up ( should be x2 Dominix v3).   Like the length for two hands without feeling cramped.  However, after watching videos and reading lengths, I am wondering if it is going to be too tall for me?  Am 5'2" with medium sized women's hands.  Perhaps the Phantom Initiate V3 would be more suitable.  I would use 24" blades once I became more skillful and will start with 16'' blades for spinning and not combat.  These will be stunt only with the flush coupler.  I did purchase the open vented adjustable coupler with an order that is yet to come.  I guess standard batteries would be fine instead of the Li-ion set up.

My other question is choosing two different colors.  Was thinking one in FO and the other in BR.  Thought would look good with the black/silver hilts but not especially going for the Sith look.  My other choice was GB and CG.  The reason for the two colors is that it looks visually appealing on some of the videos.  Am not planning on using them separately, but just incase, would order one dark shock and one archon pommel. 

Thanks to everyone who responds to this request and I greatly appreciate any suggestions and advice.

Order an Aeon V3 in BR and a Dominix V3 in GB.

There is no Light Side, or Dark Side of the force. There is the force. It is what its wielder decides. How a man uses a weapon does not change its nature.

[Also known as Darth Bael.]

Sabers
Aeon LE V3 in AB
Dark Standard Issue with vertical grooves in Bane's Heart [My mate's]

LeoninJesterXII
Knight Lieutenant

Force Alignment: 40

There is no Light Side, or Dark Side of the force.

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2014, 01:07:08 AM »

Order an Aeon V3 in BR and a Dominix V3 in GB.

Then get an adjustable coupler in the opposite finish you already got, put the dark half on your Aeon and the light half on your Dominix.

There is no Light Side, or Dark Side of the force. There is the force. It is what its wielder decides. How a man uses a weapon does not change its nature.

[Also known as Darth Bael.]

Sabers
Aeon LE V3 in AB
Dark Standard Issue with vertical grooves in Bane's Heart [My mate's]

Dauntless Seven
Lady of the Sage Order
Knight Commander

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2014, 04:01:34 AM »

Hi Jester.  I wrote a reply that vanished into cyberspace.  Thanks for your suggestions.  Definitely want to combine a light and dark hilt together.  Am waiting for my first order to arrive and see what the mystery Initiate is and in what color.  Also got an Obsidian Aeon LE v3 in AS with blue flash.  Am going to buy the shorter hilt saberstaff , as it seems to be a more appropriate length for me and a grab bag.  Hopefully won't end up with too many similar styles.  Thanks again!

Racona Nova
Knight of the Obsidian Order
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1116

There is no good or evil....there's only power!

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2014, 02:12:24 PM »

If you need some more length specs on the staff: http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=18202.0
This contains the 24" blades, 32" blades and 36" blades!

Sig by Master Nero
Phantasm v3 LE (Obs v3) - AB w/ FoC AS---Manticore (Obs v3) - BR w/ FoC AS (QD)---Archon v2.1 (Obs v3) - RGBW Emerald

Dauntless Seven
Lady of the Sage Order
Knight Commander

« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2014, 04:22:05 PM »

Racona Nova, your information was really helpful.  Thanks so much.   Cheesy

Karmack
Forumverse Loremaster
Master of Ceremonies
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1152

Light side points please.

« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2014, 04:35:26 PM »

Dauntless, I have the very staff you are looking at in SY.  I use an adjustable coupler, which is about 4 inches long.  
This is the staff, lit, standing next to a door.  The room is 9' ceilings, for scale.

This is the staff, joined, no blades, with a dark initiate V3 lying next to it.

I use the 24" initiate blades in my staff.  With the blades, it is almost exactly 6' tall.

My daughter is about your size, she has a staff which consists of a pair of Initiate V3s and a flush coupler.  The center is quite a bit shorter, and in staff mode she has less reach, but I've found that I can wield 36" blades in her staff hilt fairly comfortably.  That staff is a little long, however.

I would recommend a middle-ground.  Get the Phantom Initiate V3 staff with an adjustable vented coupler.  The center part of the staff will be a good 4 inches shorter, which will make it a little easier to wield and a lot more responsive.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2014, 04:40:19 PM by Karmack » Logged

signature picture by DarthScrub

Master Singer of the Mak'Tor

Dauntless Seven
Lady of the Sage Order
Knight Commander

« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2014, 04:53:06 PM »

Karmack, thanks so much for the info and photos.  It looks huge in length!  So will get the Initiate V3 staff and already have the coupler being sent.  Will order this afternoon before I talk myself out of it.  Good thing that they can be used individually.  Am a little concerned that my nursing buddies may be too aggressive in their sparring fun.  At least we can bandage ourselves up.   Shocked

Karmack
Forumverse Loremaster
Master of Ceremonies
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1152

Light side points please.

« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2014, 07:40:20 PM »

Sounds like an excellent choice.  :-)

Remember, the staff is a close-quarters weapon.  Speed and aggressive attack, then back out.  If you're fast, you can block and strike before the single blade can re-engage.  :-)

signature picture by DarthScrub

Master Singer of the Mak'Tor

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: