Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 22   Go Down
Author Topic: New York Comic Con, Denver Fan Expo, ECCC, & C2E2  (Read 186495 times)
Therion Jinn
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -1426

May The Force Serve You Well

« Reply #120 on: May 29, 2017, 02:52:59 AM »

It doesn't require a police state to tell a prop weapon from the real thing. My  point was, and still is, that this whole thing could have been prevented if those doing the prop/weapons check had done their jobs.
Instead, the organizers wind up punishing those who choose to be in costumes that use weapons.
I'm a realist. I know that things like metal detectors would be pointless at a con like this. You'd still have to do inspections of many cosplayers.

Yes, the actual problem was the wacko. I'm just saying that a decent check could have prevented said wacko from entering the con with loaded, real, guns

Duff Man
The Double Triple X 4 + Fish OG of Randomness Version 2.7 of part 9 = Bacon
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -358

« Reply #121 on: May 29, 2017, 04:06:53 AM »

It doesn't require a police state to tell a prop weapon from the real thing. My  point was, and still is, that this whole thing could have been prevented if those doing the prop/weapons check had done their jobs.
Instead, the organizers wind up punishing those who choose to be in costumes that use weapons.
I'm a realist. I know that things like metal detectors would be pointless at a con like this. You'd still have to do inspections of many cosplayers.

Yes, the actual problem was the wacko. I'm just saying that a decent check could have prevented said wacko from entering the con with loaded, real, guns

IT does take some training to spot the difference and a lot of low paid  security guards don't have it or aren't provided it, then if they are it is reeeeeeaaaly quick. You have to be experience with the real thing to know what you're looking at/for . Plus people try to make their props look and feel as real as possible(weight, function/action).  And criminals go to get lengths to make real weapons look as fake as possible(paint and plastic over metal, foam padding over live blades).   I wasn't there But all the pics I have seen look like there was just a check table at each door (off to the side and not bottle necking the crowed into the check point) almost as it was voluntary thing?  They just looked at them then tag them with a zip tie(easily removed) . But also I haven't see what weapons the guy had. They said knives, pistols and a shot gun, But they can all be easily concealed (depending on the shotgun style) and he could have just walked right past the table without any of them seeing anything to him for. Or He could have been check and he removed the tags, then loaded them while he was in?  This is all just speculative until the PD post what he was caring and how exactly he got in.  Only way to Truly prevent anything is detectors/x-ray then fully body searches/frisk(3d scan)of everyone!  There also it take Training plus most people are severely against the frisk idea just to go into a con. But yes it could also have been just one checker to let them through? With that size of a crowed slip ups do happen and things get in. It happens with Real police too. Criminals tend to be smart, they stake out targets and security procedures to find the best way to get past them. I am sure there will be a scapegoat. But the good new is No one got hurt.  This whole thing sucks but unfortunately with the scare of these kind of people it has become more common just to do a zero tolerance(which also never works) and ruining it for those of use who just want to go in with our props and have fun.

Ultra Saber SI Staff:Guardian Blue
Ultra Saber Redemption:SRD
Ultra Saber Dominix V2 LE:Dark VA
MR Construction Kit:RGB

bigBear
Council Elder of Shenanigans
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1538

a true warrior fights to protect

« Reply #122 on: May 29, 2017, 05:43:28 AM »

still, the con go overboard and in the long run it's going to hurt them worse than the short term will.

who's scruffy looking?
own: Dominix V4 GB, Sentinel V4 sunrider's, Aprentice LE V4 VA X2 (staff). Liberator SY, dark SI AB, dark initiate LE CG, dark initiate BR, dark apprentice LE AS and FO stunts. dark Sentinel LE in FO OB lite sound Malice w/ V4 sound, Emerald. Crimson curved Reaper AS OB lite. Diamond Raven, Chosen One V4 sound, emerald, Consular CG, V4 sound.

NovaCog
Knight Apprentice

Force Alignment: 15

« Reply #123 on: May 29, 2017, 06:15:48 AM »

So im finally home from my friends, who I was staying at during the Con when this whole mess happened. To any MOD reading this, I'm just saying what I've heard from other vendors I'm friends with, and the situation as a whole. I love Ultrasabers, Heck I convinced my friends to buy some finally this year. Anyway, Yes phoenix comicon went overboard with how the situation was handled by the low grade security and volunteer staff failing at their job.  Also they completely ignored the fact its bloody impossible to have boxes for every possible version of a Saber a customer can order. Now from what PHXCC said, They had a "Mandatory" meeting about the new requirements to sell weapons and US never showed. Given that PHXCC also randomly decided to extend the exhibitor hall by 90 minutes on Friday without telling ANY of the vendors..I"m willing to bet no one told US about the meeting. So US did the most logical thing they could and used trash bags to try and adhere to the situation.  Now from what US said to everyone who ordered a saber, they did not like using a trashbag, which I can understand, but you do what you have too sometimes. According to PHXCC though US wasn't even trying to do that and became hostile when confronted with it. US also says they were offered no Refund for the situation and PHXCC claims they offered a refund and  written check at the time US was removed.  The kicker here is I also have heard that the person who owns PHXCC/heads it has a very short temper and demands things be run the way he wants without question, so There is probably some truth in US becoming hostile if that situation is true, because who would become hostile when trying to sell a very nice product to customers who are loyal to both the convention and US? At the end of the day I choose to believe there were issues on both sides. Did I miss seeing that amazing booth near the center of the floor? Of freaking course!  Do I hope that US isnt banned from returning and also wants to come back another year? Yes! Do I believe it will happen?... sadly no, This situation was abysmal and does show that loyalty has no value if the head of the convention demands total obedience.

JediMalik
Knight Aspirant

Force Alignment: 11

« Reply #124 on: May 29, 2017, 09:47:56 AM »

Im just sad because I buy lightsabers from ultra sabers every year; and this year I finally convinced my friends to go to comicon with me. They were really excited to see the lightsabers for sale.....but sadly it was Sunday and we got to the empty square where the ultra saber tent use to be and it was heartbreaking Sad

Rathayatra
Knight Ensign

Force Alignment: 98

"Mud hole? Slimy? My home this is"

« Reply #125 on: May 29, 2017, 03:16:45 PM »

So im finally home from my friends, who I was staying at during the Con when this whole mess happened. To any MOD reading this, I'm just saying what I've heard from other vendors I'm friends with, and the situation as a whole. I love Ultrasabers, Heck I convinced my friends to buy some finally this year. Anyway, Yes phoenix comicon went overboard with how the situation was handled by the low grade security and volunteer staff failing at their job.  Also they completely ignored the fact its bloody impossible to have boxes for every possible version of a Saber a customer can order. Now from what PHXCC said, They had a "Mandatory" meeting about the new requirements to sell weapons and US never showed. Given that PHXCC also randomly decided to extend the exhibitor hall by 90 minutes on Friday without telling ANY of the vendors..I"m willing to bet no one told US about the meeting. So US did the most logical thing they could and used trash bags to try and adhere to the situation.  Now from what US said to everyone who ordered a saber, they did not like using a trashbag, which I can understand, but you do what you have too sometimes. According to PHXCC though US wasn't even trying to do that and became hostile when confronted with it. US also says they were offered no Refund for the situation and PHXCC claims they offered a refund and  written check at the time US was removed.  The kicker here is I also have heard that the person who owns PHXCC/heads it has a very short temper and demands things be run the way he wants without question, so There is probably some truth in US becoming hostile if that situation is true, because who would become hostile when trying to sell a very nice product to customers who are loyal to both the convention and US? At the end of the day I choose to believe there were issues on both sides. Did I miss seeing that amazing booth near the center of the floor? Of freaking course!  Do I hope that US isnt banned from returning and also wants to come back another year? Yes! Do I believe it will happen?... sadly no, This situation was abysmal and does show that loyalty has no value if the head of the convention demands total obedience.
   it good to know the story. hope the other cons don't have the Large Ego running the show. Thanks point.

lightside points please --- thanks an old youngling
Initiate LE v4 CG             
Prophesy v3 OPS GB 
Graflex GB OPS
Yoda FX
Dk. Prophesy v3 SY
Standard Issue Battle v3 GB
Dk. Prophesy v3 VA
Archon v2.1 GB
Dk. Prophesy v3 CG
Dk. Menace tri GB
Consular v4 GB Nickel
Shock GB OPS + Raffle Prophesy CG Stunt
Archon v3.1 + spring raffle Dominix LE v4

Duff Man
The Double Triple X 4 + Fish OG of Randomness Version 2.7 of part 9 = Bacon
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -358

« Reply #126 on: May 29, 2017, 10:07:12 PM »

Turns out  the Blanket Ban was ordered by the Phoenix PD. The event heads Had to enforce them by law, Which most likely included the trash bag idea for outgoing props from vendors.
Non enforcement=fine . 

Ultra Saber SI Staff:Guardian Blue
Ultra Saber Redemption:SRD
Ultra Saber Dominix V2 LE:Dark VA
MR Construction Kit:RGB

Isola815
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 594

"Most Redacted"

« Reply #127 on: May 31, 2017, 08:36:02 AM »

Good to see some people made the most of it though  Grin

zahnman
Knight Aspirant

Force Alignment: 2

« Reply #128 on: May 31, 2017, 04:42:20 PM »

Are you guys coming to AwesomeCon ?

scifidude79
8-bit Defender of the Aeon Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2106

« Reply #129 on: May 31, 2017, 07:51:19 PM »

Ha!  That's funny and creative.  At least they look like they're having fun.

TheDutchman
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1106

« Reply #130 on: June 01, 2017, 04:18:54 PM »

Ha!  That's funny and creative.  At least they look like they're having fun.

I agree with both of you; it's reassuring to see that people can still be resilient despite such strictures  Smiley

Sig courtesy of DarthScrub

Cataphract Triarch of the Vhal'Dan

My sabers:Zearic's Aldrnari, Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, AS; Zearic's shoto, Apprentice v4 w/Obsidian, AS; Graflex SE w/Obsidian, GB; Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, CG; Dark Sentinel v4 w/Obsidian, BR; Sentinel LE v4 w/Obsidian, GB; Initiate v5 w/Obsidian, AS; Sentinel LE v4 stunt, EG; Aeon LE v4 stunt, FO; Dominix v4 stunt, BR; Aeon v3 stunt, SY

Isola815
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 594

"Most Redacted"

« Reply #131 on: June 01, 2017, 06:27:40 PM »

I agree with both of you; it's reassuring to see that people can still be resilient despite such strictures  Smiley

Well that's just what you do. When someone gives you rules to follow you can be a sourpuss and let it ruin your day or you can make the most of it and still have fun!  Grin

Therion Jinn
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -1426

May The Force Serve You Well

« Reply #132 on: June 02, 2017, 02:18:26 AM »

Part of why I'm likely to leave the blades for my costume sabers at home for Salt Lake Comic Con

Deep
Administrator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 700

« Reply #133 on: July 02, 2017, 09:11:38 PM »

Updated

Emory "Deep" Harris
www.ultrasabers.com

Darth Umbrex
Knight Sergeant

Force Alignment: -35

« Reply #134 on: August 05, 2017, 09:08:31 PM »

Only 27 days till dragoncon cant wait to check out your booth.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength, I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.
The Force shall free me.

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 22   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: