Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Dark Catalyst + modifications = Marauder  (Read 6116 times)
James Casey
Forum Watchman
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1510

« on: August 10, 2014, 10:28:41 PM »

Hello, everyone. This is the review of my latest purchase from Ultrasabers, the Dark Catalyst.

I ordered mine in Fire Orange with Blazing Red flash on clash. I'd picked up an MLS unit in the opposite combination recently, and thought it would be cool to switch them around. More on that later...

For reasons set out below, I never intended to buy this and keep it as a stock hilt. That being said, I'm impressed (and surprised) by how well it handles. The choke makes for a really comfortable grip, and even with a 36" blade (I prefer 32" blades) it was a nicely balanced and whippy hilt. It's also very light, and I'd say overall it probably handles as well as a v3 Aeon or Dominix. I'm happy to recommend the Catalyst line, then, on handling grounds.

For a long time I didn't think much of the Catalyst line. The design just appeared exaggerated to me - the choke point was too deeply curved, the pronged emitter was just for show without adding anything the way the Raven or Malice claws do, and while the pommel is a favourite of a lot of forummers, to me it appeared to just be a plain cone, like a simplified Dark Shock pommel.

That being said, the main body of the hilt was an attractive feature to me, and I spent some time thinking about whether it could be 'redeemed' by way of swapping in other parts using the modular hilt system.

I had in mind a pair of twinned 'sabres, being a fan of dual wielding. Given the expense involved, I knew I'd have to buy one at a time (and I still haven't picked up the second half of my Reaper pair yet, but that's another matter). I also knew I'd want to have an all-silver hilt, but also that the black and silver of the Dark Catalyst hilt would need black and silver parts to go with it. In addition, I knew I'd need an extension piece for the main hilt to hold the MLS unit, as on the Catalyst line the LED sits inside the choke.

Catalyst body alongside a Manticore for reference. This thing is short.

It wasn't until I received the Dark Catalyst that I realised...

...the LED inside the choke is actually just an LED inside the choke. No outer housing, the way a typical MLS unit is built. Instead it's just an LED held in place by the emitter, which in turn...

...has the lens glued inside it.

That meant that there was no prospect of swapping the standard LED for any MLS unit, or even one taken out of its housing. The Catalyst's LED sits on a much larger board and I suspect that any other LED, if removed from its housing, would just rattle around inside the choke and eventually break. There's no space inside the choke for an MLS unit complete with housing, either.

I wasn't relying on the Catalyst's LED for the project I had in mind - I already had a Blazing Red MLS unit, which you can see in the picture above, which I'd bought in the sale a couple of months back. Still, I'd thought I'd have a spare orange LED, but that's just down to poor research on my part. When spending money on something this expensive, it's important to cover all your bases in case you're not sure, and I'd only have had myself to blame if I'd badly erred.

Anyway, on to the project...

I had to settle on three pieces - emitter, extension and pommel - which would complement the black and silver of the Dark Catalyst body, but which would also be available in silver for the twin hilt using the Catalyst. There aren't too many hilts that come in Dark and Light versions... In fact, there's only four that have at least two of the pieces I needed: the War Glaive, the Shock, the Arbiter and now the Mantis.

As I have no real fondness for the War Glaive, and the Mantis wasn't released while I was putting this project together, it came down to the Shock and the Arbiter.

The neck piece from a Dark Arbiter...

...and the pommel...

...and emitter...

Just look at it! It's a work of art!

from a Dark Shock were my choices.

When I received them I was pleased to see, as I expected, that the anodising of all the pieces matched up nicely. This was, after all, to be my first Sith weapon, and I wanted it to look worthy of the part.

Of course, as I was now venturing into the realms of building my own lightsabre (well, as near as I ever will!) there was one more obstacle to overcome: I couldn't fit the MLS unit in place. The leads were too short, with the plugs finishing inside the neckpiece, and no way of plugging the plugs from the body of the 'sabre into them.

No biggie...

...just remove the outer housing from the MLS unit, attach the leads which are long enough to have the LED sticking out of the top of the neck piece...

...replace the housing, fit it into the neckpiece, and screw the emitter on top.

Remind me, why did I want to go for something unique again?

Oh, yeah...

This is a design I've decided to dub the Marauder. That's the class I was drawn to in playing as a Sith on the Old Republic MMO, and to my mind it deserved a heavy, brutal 'sabre, as much a club switched off as a more elegant weapon from a more civilised age when activated.

In saying that, it's not all that long.

It's about 14.5 inches, which is a pretty fair length, but the Manticore is around 12 inches. The stock Catalyst line comes in at around 13-13.5 inches, end to end. The body of the Catalyst really is very small.

I had a chance to duel with the Marauder yesterday, and despite its length I found it easy enough to wield single handed or two handed. I found that having one hand near the emitter and the other near the pommel made for accurate strikes, although perhaps slower than usual.

The neckpiece makes for a comfortable grip. The edges aren't sharp, but there's enough resistance (for want of a better word) to make the grip secure. In addition to the ridges that runs around the neckpiece, there's vertical segments cut along its length that add to the level of grip.

Although heavier than the stock Catalyst, the Marauder isn't cumbersome. It's pretty well balanced using a 36" midgrade blade, and easy enough to wield. Should anyone else feel compelled to follow my example, the Marauder gets a definite positive recommendation from me - so long as you don't mind the slightly fiddly conversion from stock to personalised Smiley

All lit up, complete with tribute to JJ Abrams on the AV switch Wink

"I'll split this world open and tear down the sky before I let him come to even the slightest harm."

Darth Scorpious
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -118

Passion, Strength, Power, Victory, The Force

« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2014, 11:45:34 PM »

James this is amazing that last picture makes it look like its on fire. Point from me  Wink

Scorpion in FO
Malice in BR
Nickel Guardian in GB
Bellicose CG
Prophecy GB

Prowl 1701
Mentor of the Prophecy Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 830

We're all just dreams in the end...

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2014, 12:01:56 AM »

The Marauder is an excellent saber, James!  All the pieces look like they belong together.  Nice work on making everything come together on it, especially the LED unit!  Point from me to you.

Darth_Phobius47
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -176

Hawkbat 5

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2014, 12:44:04 AM »

Wow now that looks awesome! Any plans for the remaining pieces of the Catalyst?

Also point!...,and welcome, to the DARK SIDE!!!!

My Arsenal

Dark Arbiter w/sound custom~EG/AS
Dark Standard v3~FO
Dark Liberator v3 (bro)~CG
Initiate v3 (sis)~VA
Grab Bag: Dark SI v3 vert grooves~BR
Consular w/sound~BR/FO
Menace SE w/sound~CG/FO
Raffle prizes: Graflex w/sound~GB/AS
                    Malice w/sound~BR/VA

Molina00
Forum Emissary
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 459

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2014, 12:51:08 AM »

Impressive, most impressive.  Everything goes together perfectly.  That deserves much more than a point.

I felt a great disturbance in the force as if millions of nerds cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced.

Integrity can accommodate the inadvertent error and the honest difference of opinion; it cannot accommodate deceit or subordination of principle.

Darth Burgaar
Knight Major

Force Alignment: -68

Dark Side points Please!

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2014, 01:40:41 AM »

Great review and Nicely done James! Your Marauder is truly worthy of a Sith lord!

You may be a Jedi, but the Dark side is certanly strong in you . .  Cool

Point mate!  Smiley

"The Sith have no Fear and give no Quarter!! If you challenge them? . . then pray the Force is with you!"
My Sabers : Malice, Scorpion & Crimson Scorpion, Archon 2.1, Chosen One CE, Graflex CE (all Emerald) Liberator, 2x Initiate v3.1.

sedstiskyfaller
Artisan of the Azure Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 617

Blue is my color, it is who I am

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2014, 01:42:15 AM »

Nice detailed review and resulting Franken-saber  Smiley Point

magik0012
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 107

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2014, 02:36:37 AM »

I dig it.. I dig it a lot!

Never give up! Never surrender!

Archon v3 (Emerald RGBA + v4 sound), Graflex SE (GB + v3 sound), Chosen One SE (BR + v3 sound), Manticore (VA + v3 sound), Flamberge v2 (FO + v4 sound, dis-assembled and lightly kitbashed), 

Aeon LE v4 (stunt CG), Dark Prophecy x2 (being re-customized) (stunt BR & DVA or VA),

Dark Arbiter (Disassembled), Overlord (Disassembled)
Dark Liberator (BR w v3 sound - gifted away), Dark Sentinel LE v4 (AB w v3 sound - gifted away)

julmax
Knight Arbiter

Force Alignment: 75

A Sith... Hear? Bad Sishy, Bad Sithy! ...WOOSH!

« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2014, 06:23:58 PM »

Awesome review, and your Marauder is way cool! Shocked

...a point for your creation, Sir... Wink

James Casey
Forum Watchman
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1510

« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2014, 08:17:41 PM »

Thanks, guys, glad folks are liking the Marauder! It was a fun build, and as it seems likely to be my last major purchase of this year I'm glad it's turned out so well.

I don't have any plans for the spare Catalyst parts... yet. I tried them on my Manticore but didn't much like the combo. I may keep them for occasional use as a complete Catalyst, but otherwise they don't really go with any other hilts I have.

"I'll split this world open and tear down the sky before I let him come to even the slightest harm."

Dauntless Seven
Lady of the Sage Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2037

« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2014, 12:46:57 AM »

Really nicely done!  I kinda got lost with all the parts that I'm not readily familiar with.  The end product looks fantastic.  Point for you.   Shocked

Dorkter Loveless
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: -10

« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2016, 03:43:21 AM »

Thanks, guys, glad folks are liking the Marauder! It was a fun build, and as it seems likely to be my last major purchase of this year I'm glad it's turned out so well.

I don't have any plans for the spare Catalyst parts... yet. I tried them on my Manticore but didn't much like the combo. I may keep them for occasional use as a complete Catalyst, but otherwise they don't really go with any other hilts I have.

I see you already have a consular, if I may request. what does the catalyst emitter and pommel look like with a consular body without the shroud/plating? just I thought I had for a true dark catalyst.

one saber Sad ... for now. Guardian, GB blade and AB FoC

Zren Tobas
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -2031

[Give Light Side Points!] [Give Dark Side Points!]

« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2016, 05:01:42 AM »

That's a sick looking saber for sure. Not to nit pick though but I might not be getting a Catalyst after all after seeing how the led is x.x unless it has changed since yours. I've always wanted a Catalyst though. I know posting on a few years old post but still. I think I missed this one so Tongue Wasn't really as active then as I am now

Sabers: Liberator V3 CG ObsV4 sound!, Graflex GB, Overlord AB, Crimson Savior BR, Bane PO, Dark Initiate V2 LE BH, Shock GB, Archon V2.1 CG, Dark Sentinel LE GB ObSLite!, Standard Issue V3 CG, Dominix V3 LE BR, Sentinel SRD, Dominix V2 FO
Next sabers: Dark Prophecy BVA, Negotiator AS, Enigma EG, Brylark CE SY
[/url]SW1 by joshgarcia07[/url

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: