Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Toll and VAT madness  (Read 4298 times)
Akimoto873
Knight Apprentice

Force Alignment: -2

Passion

« on: August 14, 2014, 06:47:23 PM »

Toll makes me sad...
In Norway we have to pay 25% VAT + toll on most items we import... So imagine having payed $300 for an ultra saber or any other product, having to pay AT LEAST another 25% of what I just payed. (Not including Shipping and handling)

How does toll work in the US? Is it high? I suspect I may escape to US to get a programming job once my education is complete... (hopefully in the Virtual Reality business, out of interest) Tongue

1. Bellicose [Blazing Red]

Molina00
Forum Emissary
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 459

« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2014, 06:59:27 PM »

I'm not sure what you mean by toll, but for me there are no extra charges outside of shipping & handling.  Moving to the US would definitely be good for your saber collection.  Cheesy

I felt a great disturbance in the force as if millions of nerds cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced.

Integrity can accommodate the inadvertent error and the honest difference of opinion; it cannot accommodate deceit or subordination of principle.

gebhac
Knight Ensign

Force Alignment: 18

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2014, 07:29:04 PM »

Toll in Norway is a Customs Dues that must be paid for importing goods into Norway.  The VAT (Value Added Tax) is a consumption tax, which I am guessing is Norway's version of the Sales Tax in the US.  In the US the Customs fee can be up to 20% of the value and sometimes the rate is dependent on other factors as well.

Akimoto873: What is the toll rate in Norway?

Akimoto873
Knight Apprentice

Passion

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2014, 07:39:59 PM »

Toll in Norway is a Customs Dues that must be paid for importing goods into Norway.  The VAT (Value Added Tax) is a consumption tax, which I am guessing is Norway's version of the Sales Tax in the US.  In the US the Customs fee can be up to 20% of the value and sometimes the rate is dependent on other factors as well.

Akimoto873: What is the toll rate in Norway?

Not sure what you mean with "toll rate", however here is an overview (english): http://www.toll.no/templates_TAD/Topic.aspx?id=278960&epslanguage=en

It's pretty darn expensive to import from anywhere other than domestic. :c

gebhac
Knight Ensign

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2014, 07:54:44 PM »

By toll rate I meant how much is toll.  But reading that link it looks to me like you're paying an additional 50% of what you purchased plus whatever it cost to ship?  Am I figuring that out right?

Akimoto873
Knight Apprentice

Passion

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2014, 07:57:19 PM »

By toll rate I meant how much is toll.  But reading that link it looks to me like you're paying an additional 50% of what you purchased plus whatever it cost to ship?  Am I figuring that out right?

I have not received the bill yet, but I will have to pay at least 25% additional $.

I payed about 2000 for the saber, so I will have to pay 500 extra -> 2500, and that is not including the shipping and handling. (Norwegian money, 2000kr is about $300)

gebhac
Knight Ensign

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2014, 08:04:27 PM »

This will definitely be an expensive hobby for you then :/  I wish you good luck and hope you enjoy the saber you ordered.  Which one did you get?

Karmack
Forumverse Loremaster
Master of Ceremonies
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1152

Light side points please.

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2014, 08:58:17 PM »

Wow, that's steep.  In the US, most domestic purchases made over the internet escape sales tax (so far).  We also do not charge internal tarrifs or tolls.  We do have sales tax (similar to VAT) but its only at the State and/or Local level and rarely gets above 9-10%.  And as I said, so far we've managed to avoid a sales tax on internet purchases in many cases, or at the worst you pay the local sales tax which isn't nearly as steep as your VAT.  ouch...

signature picture by DarthScrub

Master Singer of the Mak'Tor

DavidOgilvie
Knight Sergeant

Force Alignment: -7

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2014, 09:26:52 PM »

In the UK its a bit weird really.. Sometimes we get charged loads of import duty (mainly only when importing from the US though..) and other times nothing at all
- My last US which was ~$300 didnt get any import tax put onto it, whereas a recent purchase from the US from another site which only came to $40 total got charged £12 import tax, which is about $20..!

Its just pot luck really.. Particularly as the pound has been doing fairly well against the dollar recently - means sometimes people in the UK can get things comparatively cheaply, whereas other times border control shoots you down with a hefty bill :/

Akimoto873
Knight Apprentice

Passion

« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2014, 09:38:38 PM »

In the UK its a bit weird really.. Sometimes we get charged loads of import duty (mainly only when importing from the US though..) and other times nothing at all
- My last US which was ~$300 didnt get any import tax put onto it, whereas a recent purchase from the US from another site which only came to $40 total got charged £12 import tax, which is about $20..!

Its just pot luck really.. Particularly as the pound has been doing fairly well against the dollar recently - means sometimes people in the UK can get things comparatively cheaply, whereas other times border control shoots you down with a hefty bill :/

It is the same for Norway. In theory I could probably make a fake invoice when they ask for documentation to avoid most of it... but I would rather not. Another way to get around it, is to get another invoice from whomever you purchase with less value than what you actually payed. Tongue

DavidOgilvie
Knight Sergeant

Force Alignment: -7

« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2014, 10:22:23 PM »

It is the same for Norway. In theory I could probably make a fake invoice when they ask for documentation to avoid most of it... but I would rather not. Another way to get around it, is to get another invoice from whomever you purchase with less value than what you actually payed. Tongue
Haha i guess that might work! Doesnt sound very legal though.. 😝

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: