Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 16   Go Down
Author Topic: Seven Forms of Lightsaber Combat: A Discourse  (Read 129075 times)
Kitra
Knight Captain

Force Alignment: 38

"Use the force, Harry" -Gandalf

« Reply #165 on: May 25, 2013, 06:15:04 AM »

No not yet but i am looking into it right now!
Thank you sir. Smiley

Light side points are appreciated. Smiley

Master VorNach
Resident Master
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 176

Mendicus esset tamen suus candeo.

« Reply #166 on: May 25, 2013, 06:55:49 AM »

Since i know my ways in Arnis and Talhofer I may have to unlearn and relearn many things due to the properties of the weapon (no sharp side/Blunt side, much less weight, ect.) but i am quite willing to try it out.

And i was able to find a teacher in Talhofer style of swordsmanship which i followed for 4 steady years in a row. I have never been at a contest of any sort, but the training included sparring in armor for 45 minutes every trainingsunit.

Kitra,
Arnis and the works of Talhoffer are excellent for adaptation to lightsaber combat. It will be more a matter of refining than unlearning things.
A lightsaber has more in common with a stick than a sword (it's a round, omnidirectional striking surface as opposed to having defined edges) so experience in stick fighting styles is very helpful.
I'm rather jealous that you found someone teaching Talhofer; Germany should have some very good schools for Western weapon based martial arts.
Were you working with a particular weapon or was it a comprehensive multi-weapon approach?

Welcome to the Forum.

Cower not within yourself; whatever he says unto you, do not react to it; fight earnestly for yourself thusly;

https://sites.google.com/site/terraprimelightsaberacademy/
http://annarborsword.com/

Kitra
Knight Captain

Force Alignment: 38

"Use the force, Harry" -Gandalf

« Reply #167 on: May 25, 2013, 07:22:17 AM »

Kitra,
Arnis and the works of Talhoffer are excellent for adaptation to lightsaber combat. It will be more a matter of refining than unlearning things.
A lightsaber has more in common with a stick than a sword (it's a round, omnidirectional striking surface as opposed to having defined edges) so experience in stick fighting styles is very helpful.
I'm rather jealous that you found someone teaching Talhofer; Germany should have some very good schools for Western weapon based martial arts.
Were you working with a particular weapon or was it a comprehensive multi-weapon approach?

Welcome to the Forum.

That is nice to read thank you. That is more than i have hoped for.
Yes i was suprised to that there are so many schools near me (3) when i moved here. One of the teachers hes a Czech is even already quiting his job since he is ordered in all europe to learn his adaption of talhofer principles.

I was nearly always working with 2 short sabres since i in my school we had the chance to do so. The other 2 schools are more traditional and favor the one and a hand as talhofer did in most of his techniques.
Here in germany we have a huge scene of middle agers which are able to trade ideas and favors on big markets throughout the year. that was my opportunity to to find my teacher in the beginning he had a show and i was so compelled in trying out his defence (which was rediculous even against 2 swords) that i was a first day student and after than ever since.

Light side points are appreciated. Smiley

dreamtension
Knight Apprentice

Force Alignment: 6

« Reply #168 on: May 26, 2013, 12:45:29 AM »

And also this: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/7hyd1jukm9urfev/zYcIonlvcW

Sorry for the technica glitch

Thank you both of you for the links.  They both work.

Sincerely, thank you for the work.

Light side points please

Frozian
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: -11

It is your destiny to give me Darkside points

« Reply #169 on: May 26, 2013, 03:23:07 PM »

Great info, thank you for sharing your work

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
 Through passion, I gain strength.
 Through strength, I gain power.
 Through power, I gain victory.
 Through victory, my chains are broken.
 The Force shall free me.

koku_rou142
Force Sensitive

Force Alignment: -1

« Reply #170 on: June 10, 2013, 11:56:16 PM »

Hi guys, my name's Craig Page. I am longstanding member of Stage Combat group NY Jedi. A year ago, I had begun working on a primer and discourse on the Seven Forms of Lightsaber combat. The paper focused on the historical (in canon) and psychological context of each form while also discussing it's strengths, weaknesses and possible analogues in real world martial arts. It also included mentions of examples from some of the Lightsaber Stage Combat groups I had been in contact with, as well as different types of lightsaber designs and other concerns.

I would like to present it here to the saber community at large to get their opinion, comments , editions and additions. The idea is to develop this further in a bid to help the community create and develop forms and fights that best represent the Seven.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/17111310/7%20Forms%20of%20Lightsaber%20Combat.pdf

PS: While it says it in the document. I would like to point out that this document does not necessarily reflect the opinions of NY Jedi, SaberWars.com, LIJedi, or any other entity within and without the Star Wars community. This is my own opinion.

I don't mean to knock anything this document says...most of this is found in the Jedi Path book. Though there were added segments (which I enjoyed reading very much). Wouldn't call this plagiarism because it is (in its own way) original. I loved this.

Peace is a lie
There is only PASSION
Through PASSION, I gain STRENGTH
Through STRENGTH, I gain POWER
Through POWER, I gain VICTORY
Through VICTORY, my chains are BROKEN

Master Uilos
Resident Master
Knight Captain

Force Alignment: 121

Snark Jedi

« Reply #171 on: June 11, 2013, 05:10:41 AM »

I don't mean to knock anything this document says...most of this is found in the Jedi Path book. Though there were added segments (which I enjoyed reading very much). Wouldn't call this plagiarism because it is (in its own way) original. I loved this.

The last paragraph of Page 4 explains that, the book came out shortly after I finished writing the Ataru or Djem So article.  The sections on the Marks of Contact and the Hilt Types and Lightsaber Resistant Material are based from those. Plagiarism is copying information and selling it off as your own. I've given full credit to where it's due and needed.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2013, 05:59:04 AM by Master Uilos » Logged

Pedantic Lightsaber Philosopher. Stage Combat Junkie. Cranky New York Street Mage.

Master of the Snark Side of the Force

Long Live The Fighters

Raidon23
Knight Aspirant

Force Alignment: 3

« Reply #172 on: June 13, 2013, 03:30:47 AM »

The information is incredible I keep reading it over and over again

The closer you are to the light the greater your shadow will become
(Dark side points please)

jshmeyers
Knight Apprentice

Force Alignment: 1

« Reply #173 on: June 15, 2013, 03:35:04 PM »

I  have to agree with matter Uilos. Throughout  his work on the subject he gives credit where credit is due. In no way is it plagiarism.  again thank you for that work of yours it is very enjoyable and informative read.

You and the blade are one. You and your opponents fight a dance. The dance; death incarnate....

GrumpyBadger
Knight Captain

Force Alignment: 34

if I earn any, lightside points if you please

« Reply #174 on: July 27, 2013, 02:27:55 PM »

I really also need to chime in here.

As a graduate student in experimental archaeology, I gotta say you took the whole "7 Forms of Lightsaber Combat" to a whole additional level than most do.  Thank you so much for putting it so clearly too.  It was a great read, and one that pretty much anyone with some semblance of Star Wars knowledge can comprehend.  Very well done

Darth Belicus
Knight Sergeant

Force Alignment: -12

House of the Royal Sith

« Reply #175 on: August 17, 2013, 08:34:00 PM »

Very interesting stuff

I am the wolf that distracts the sheep, but remember Jedi, wolves hunt in packs.

Ozone1313
Force Sensitive

Force Alignment: 0

« Reply #176 on: October 25, 2013, 08:57:18 PM »

Form 5   Niman is all round so its perfect 4 me

Master VorNach
Resident Master
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 176

Mendicus esset tamen suus candeo.

« Reply #177 on: October 26, 2013, 04:42:47 AM »

Form 5   Niman is all round so its perfect 4 me

(Form 5 is Shien /Djem So  --  Niman is Form 6)

Cower not within yourself; whatever he says unto you, do not react to it; fight earnestly for yourself thusly;

https://sites.google.com/site/terraprimelightsaberacademy/
http://annarborsword.com/

Sapherno11
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: -4

Don't worry, I'm still a Sith

« Reply #178 on: December 21, 2013, 06:24:32 PM »

So, I've read a TON of the EU( up to a year ago anyways) and I've been swordfighting (mostly self taught) for around 17 years, so this discussion is Awesome, am reading through the thread right now, and just had a couple of comments to start!

Firstly, thrusting with a staff is actually quite useful. Think about it, if you thrust with a staff, and can predict which side your opponent will block with, you can use the added kinetic energy to spin the staff and hit with a more powerful strike. However, you also leave yourself open for that brief second, so youw ould need to know your opponent well enough to be able to guess if their going to step forward and attack, or retreat out of the way of the spin. If they step forward, simply step back. They step back, you step forward, so on and so forth.

Also utilizing fine control with a staff is VERY POSSIBLE! Its not easy, and it would take years to master, but using Makashi would work well...actually I guess it would be more of a sub style, a blend style, and not pure Makashi....never mind, I withdraw my second comment XD

All things are brought into ruin.
The Living will faill.
Seas will dry.
Planets will fall.
Sith will break.
Jedi will fail.
Stars will darken.
All things come unto ruin.
I am Darth Ruin.

GreyJedi007
Force Sensitive

Force Alignment: 0