Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 16   Go Down
Author Topic: Seven Forms of Lightsaber Combat: A Discourse  (Read 130070 times)
Master Uilos
Resident Master
Knight Captain

Force Alignment: 121

Snark Jedi

« Reply #45 on: January 02, 2012, 07:54:59 AM »

Agreed.

Ok, so mental aspects are the driving elements that separate the forms and thus how a saber is operated in a given duel...of the fates.

(Sorry about that. I pun shamelessly. Be advised. Or warned.)

And these philosophies, while written, are largely in development. And therefore...debatable? Open to discussion/revision/elaboration?

For instance, I see Shien as its own form. I understand its aggressive nature links it with Djem So, but it is also separated from Djem So's emphasis on brute strength and imposing natural stature. Performed at range, Shien does not - as I see it - require its user to be physically big or strong, so it becomes available to a larger demographic of students than Djem So.

There were parts of this I didn't answer, and looking back I feel I should have.

The Forms, in canon, have specific moves and physical aspects.

As for the Real World: there is nothing set in stone. Unless Uncle George says "These are the Forms, enjoy", nothing is set in stone. and even then we will debate and argue.

Pedantic Lightsaber Philosopher. Stage Combat Junkie. Cranky New York Street Mage.

Master of the Snark Side of the Force

Long Live The Fighters

Takuya
Force Sensitive

Force Alignment: 0

"It's Takuya Okisaki. Remember it."

« Reply #46 on: January 02, 2012, 08:12:51 PM »

Hi guys, my name's Craig Page. I am longstanding member of Stage Combat group NY Jedi. A year ago, I had begun working on a primer and discourse on the Seven Forms of Lightsaber combat. The paper focused on the historical (in canon) and psychological context of each form while also discussing it's strengths, weaknesses and possible analogues in real world martial arts. It also included mentions of examples from some of the Lightsaber Stage Combat groups I had been in contact with, as well as different types of lightsaber designs and other concerns.

I would like to present it here to the saber community at large to get their opinion, comments , editions and additions. The idea is to develop this further in a bid to help the community create and develop forms and fights that best represent the Seven.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/17111310/7%20Forms%20of%20Lightsaber%20Combat.pdf

PS: While it says it in the document. I would like to point out that this document does not necessarily reflect the opinions of NY Jedi, SaberWars.com, LIJedi, or any other entity within and without the Star Wars community. This is my own opinion.

Well I don't know if your group says much about you, but I'll  watch it!

One of 6 deadly Jedi, and first in command of Ryloth defense.

~Commander Takuya Okisaki

Master Uilos
Resident Master
Knight Captain

Snark Jedi

« Reply #47 on: January 02, 2012, 10:17:53 PM »

Well I don't know if your group says much about you, but I'll  watch it!

I'm not sure how to take that statement lol

Pedantic Lightsaber Philosopher. Stage Combat Junkie. Cranky New York Street Mage.

Long Live The Fighters

DravvenSol
Knight Apprentice

« Reply #48 on: January 05, 2012, 12:37:44 AM »

As for the Real World: there is nothing set in stone. Unless Uncle George says "These are the Forms, enjoy", nothing is set in stone. and even then we will debate and argue.

That does seem to be the way. Lol!

"Nice."

Malek / Katarn
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: 11

« Reply #49 on: January 05, 2012, 12:47:50 AM »

read it! thought it was extremely in depth and far more interesting than the brief passages on the forms from the way of the jedi book.

thanks for sharing

"I'm no Jedi; I'm just a guy with a lightsaber and a few questions." ― Kyle Katarn

Consular in Arctic Blue - Jehuty
Bellicose in Lime Green - Eclipse

Old Republic: Jedi Knight - Kaliber

DravvenSol
Knight Apprentice

« Reply #50 on: January 05, 2012, 01:35:21 AM »

read it! thought it was extremely in depth and far more interesting than the brief passages on the forms from the way of the jedi book.

thanks for sharing

Agreed!

"Nice."

DravvenSol
Knight Apprentice

« Reply #51 on: January 06, 2012, 11:07:36 PM »

We are in agreement then. Shien and Djem So are joined by Theme: Returning the opponents Attack. Shien focuses on groups and returning ranged blaster attacks while Djem So is a Form meant for dueling using one's own power (whether physical or Force assisted). So they are the same kind of Form, but their applications vary. Shien relies on Grace and Speed, while Djem So relies on Strength and Force.

Yes, we agree! In essence there are two manifestations of the Form V retaliation philosophy (right?). Seems some of my own musings need revision. Thanks!

"Nice."

Master Uilos
Resident Master
Knight Captain

Snark Jedi

« Reply #52 on: January 06, 2012, 11:42:52 PM »

Yes, we agree! In essence there are two manifestations of the Form V retaliation philosophy (right?). Seems some of my own musings need revision. Thanks!

Yes, they are two diffeent manifestations. Shien shows it's Soresu origins, focusing on the group, speed and ranged attacks. Djem So focuses on it's Makashi side, focusing on the Duel. Both are geared towards retaliation, but go at it differently.

Long Live The Fighters

DravvenSol
Knight Apprentice

« Reply #53 on: January 07, 2012, 01:37:59 AM »

Offensive in nature. Versatile. I like it. Cheesy

Yes, they are two diffeent manifestations. Shien shows it's Soresu origins, focusing on the group, speed and ranged attacks. Djem So focuses on it's Makashi side, focusing on the Duel. Both are geared towards retaliation, but go at it differently.

"Nice."

mwood1313
Force Sensitive

« Reply #54 on: March 03, 2012, 07:42:54 PM »

Greetings all,

I'm new to Ultrasabers and just got my Dark Initiate V3 Sith.

I'm trying to find out how I can locate a Saber Organization near myself in Massachusetts.

Master Uilos
Resident Master
Knight Captain

Snark Jedi

« Reply #55 on: March 05, 2012, 04:59:54 PM »

Greetings all,

I'm new to Ultrasabers and just got my Dark Initiate V3 Sith.

I'm trying to find out how I can locate a Saber Organization near myself in Massachusetts.

Welcome!

However, this isn't quite the thread you should be posting this in. It's best if you create your own topic in this section to look for interested parties

Long Live The Fighters

Master Rel
Game Master
Knight of the Consular Order
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 1884

Martial artist, fabricator, chef, resident Ortolan

« Reply #56 on: March 10, 2012, 08:58:51 PM »

I very interesting thread...a thought to consider is that these forms represent a structure or format of approach and not the final end result...meaning that everyone would end up with a different variation of a given form.

So perhaps a way to look at the seven forms is to consider them as layers.

A priority of precedence, like

1. Shii Cho
2. Soresu
3. Djem So

This jedi would say that he follows the Shii Cho form...but in truth balances certain aspects of all three.

Another might use

1. Soresu
2. Soresu
3. Soresu

A true master/student of Soresu...creating a specific focus unseen by the casual familiarity.

But I suspect that most players would use two or three or more styles to create a blended or fusion style that would favor one over the others...even if this other style aspect is a single move of another style.

To follow just one style I would suspect would be to invite weakness as your opponent would know what to expect...unless you were an icon, one who was nearly without flaw...so fast, so strong, so perfect that it doesn't matter that your opponent knows what to expect...but this would be rare...so I suspect most of us would fall into a bastard style of two or three that allows a bit of flexibility and option.

Smiley

PS
Great article...

Light side points please Smiley

Master Uilos
Resident Master
Knight Captain

Snark Jedi

« Reply #57 on: March 12, 2012, 04:49:05 AM »

I very interesting thread...a thought to consider is that these forms represent a structure or format of approach and not the final end result...meaning that everyone would end up with a different variation of a given form.

1. Shii Cho
2. Soresu
3. Djem So

This jedi would say that he follows the Shii Cho form...but in truth balances certain aspects of all three.

Another might use

1. Soresu
2. Soresu
3. Soresu

A true master/student of Soresu...creating a specific focus unseen by the casual familiarity.

But I suspect that most players would use two or three or more styles to create a blended or fusion style that would favor one over the others...even if this other style aspect is a single move of another style.

To follow just one style I would suspect would be to invite weakness as your opponent would know what to expect...unless you were an icon, one who was nearly without flaw...so fast, so strong, so perfect that it doesn't matter that your opponent knows what to expect...but this would be rare...so I suspect most of us would fall into a bastard style of two or three that allows a bit of flexibility and option.

Smiley

PS
Great article...

Yes, I say it at the end. No one learned JUST ONE form. That's insane. Everyone started off learning shii cho, then they progressed to learn the other forms (except VII, which was only taught with permission). During their training, they would excel at one or two forms and Master them, but they'd be grounded enough in the others.

Long Live The Fighters

ZequarX
Knight Templar

Force Alignment: 23

« Reply #58 on: April 05, 2012, 11:46:55 AM »

Fantastic read! Job well done Uilos.

I'm bookmarking this as a field guide Smiley

When you give in to yourself and overcome you fears... The rest is easy- Sid Rigel

Light side points, please Smiley

"Dude I've been trying to get a hold of you all day."
"Oh, I'm sorry man, I was puttin up my Christmas tree!"
"Dude... it's July."
"Get the eff outta here?!?!"

ZequarX
Knight Templar

Force Alignment: 23

« Reply #59 on: April 12, 2012, 08:35:33 PM »

1. Shii Cho
2. Soresu
3. Djem So

Another might use

1. Soresu
2. Soresu
3. Soresu

To follow just one style I would suspect would be to invite weakness as your opponent would know what to expect...unless you were an icon, one who was nearly without flaw...so fast, so strong, so perfect that it doesn't matter that your opponent knows what to expect...but this would be rare...so I suspect most of us would fall into a bastard style of two or three that allows a bit of flexibility and option

Thats an excellent way of putting it. I think taking aspects of certin forms can mold you into a Force (no pun intended) to be reckoned with, IMO. In that case, I know for sure I combine at least 3 just based off the principles and acts of what I know thus far:

1. Shien (w/out reverse grip)
2. Ataru
3. Soresu

When you give in to yourself and overcome you fears... The rest is easy- Sid Rigel

Light side points, please Smiley

"Dude I've been trying to get a hold of you all day."
"Oh, I'm sorry man, I was puttin up my Christmas tree!"
"Dude... it's July."
"Get the eff outta here?!?!"

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 16   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: