Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 16   Go Down
Author Topic: Seven Forms of Lightsaber Combat: A Discourse  (Read 130023 times)
Master Rel
Game Master
Knight of the Consular Order
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 1884

Martial artist, fabricator, chef, resident Ortolan

« Reply #150 on: May 08, 2013, 02:23:02 PM »

Semper memores acti prudentes futuri   Grin

Light side points please Smiley

Regulus
Knight Apprentice

Force Alignment: 0

« Reply #151 on: May 08, 2013, 05:58:36 PM »

Thanks VorNach for the precisions.

As I told you it's been more than 10 years i'm training in WMA so German school both on longsword and messer, I know quite a bit.
It will help me transition to lightsaber.

I'm learning and teaching the Fiore system for 3 years now, quite different but with the same core, of course.
This system would be a great base to devellop Niman style further more. Just to see if theh mechanics of Fiore could bring even more freedom and overall efficiency to what you guys have already created.

If the Martinez of the forum is THE Maestro Martinez from NY traditionnal fencing school, then I shut up^^
SInce he is way beyond my tiny knowledge and he probably already included Fieore in the 7 forms.

Damn i'd like to be in NY now....craving knowledge and sparring XD.

But for anyone interested , just PM me I can share a lot of material.
Also , if some are interested in using any pole arm like lightsaber, I can forward you materials from "le Jeu de la Hache" ( game of the axe) which is the best  source for pole axes and pole weapons in general.
I have it both in French ( original text) and English.

Student/ instructor at Academie Duello, school of Swordplay
FDC basic certification, safety and technique of the stage fight
Studied, German and Italian fencing schools
Dedicated to long sword, side sword, rapier and...Lightsabers!

jshmeyers
Knight Apprentice

Force Alignment: 1

« Reply #152 on: May 13, 2013, 05:30:12 AM »

Wow! That was very informative and helpful. Especially since I'm wanting to teach myself how to fight with a lightsaber and sword. Thank you!

You and the blade are one. You and your opponents fight a dance. The dance; death incarnate....

Regulus
Knight Apprentice

« Reply #153 on: May 13, 2013, 07:19:09 PM »

Just a little mention here for jshmeyers.
Don't try to learn swordfighting by yourself.
You will need a lot of knowledge first to understand and do the proper moves, again and again.
It''s abaout body mechanics and the way the weapon is ment to be used.
You can't improvise that.
But after some times, you can learn other weapons way easier and with more efficiency.
Look on internet around your city if there is a WMA school or ask around here to get some names of places, serious ones.
For you to understand all the concepts and rules around historical fencing, it's better to learn from a teacher that knows his trade. Tehn you ll be able to adapt your knowledge and techniques with a Lightsaber for stage fights.

It's just my advice but having seen a lot of injuries and accident amongst the non train practicioners, I prefer to be honest and give you a safe and valuable way to get experience in fencing^^

Hope you'll find a school closeby you!

Regards

jshmeyers
Knight Apprentice

« Reply #154 on: May 13, 2013, 08:04:54 PM »

I live out in the uintah basin which surrounds vernal. If there is any place that will teach kenjutsu let me know. Otherwise I will need to teach myself simply because of my financial cituation. I can't really afford to travel tjat far. Further help would be appreciated. I mean advive.

You and the blade are one. You and your opponents fight a dance. The dance; death incarnate....

Master Rel
Game Master
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #155 on: May 13, 2013, 09:24:20 PM »

I live out in the uintah basin which surrounds vernal. If there is any place that will teach kenjutsu let me know. Otherwise I will need to teach myself simply because of my financial cituation. I can't really afford to travel tjat far. Further help would be appreciated. I mean advive.

Wow.

Vernal Utah is out of the way...just a little.

I suspect their are no Kenjutsu instructors in the small town with a population of 9,000+....but the interweb and DVDs are your friends!

You do have a local option though...not exactly what you want but formal training is formal training after all...

Tang Soo Do (this is the style Chuck made famous Smiley )
http://www.vernalmartialarts.com/about_us.html

Good luck!

Master Rel
Game Master
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #156 on: May 13, 2013, 09:27:23 PM »

Good news though...Tang Soo Do is a great starter for what you seek...it is effective, can be flashy, and uses techniques that will transfer nicely into saber dueling  Smiley

Regulus
Knight Apprentice

« Reply #157 on: May 14, 2013, 05:39:20 PM »

You can look on the net for Iaido dojos too.
It's the most preserved form of Japanese fencing with a true shinken ( modern forged sharp katana)
It's mostly kata based so great to learn  cuts, forms and stance.

For practical fight, it's better to look at any WMA (western martial arts) club to learn european historical styles
Un fortunately, Iaido is difficult to learn because you need to practice with a sensei teaching you and correcting you, since the angle of a cut has to be perfect or become useless. But it's mostly because of the blade itself and it's dynamic.
But you can get a lot of material in video from youtube, and I mean a LOT^^

I would have gladly tought you the basics since I have 4 years experience in Musoo Shinden Ryu  but I live way to far from you....
Anyway , if you need explanations and hints, PM me whenever you need!

Cheers

Thanks to Relmeob, I now know of another martial art: Tang Soo Do^^

Tanq
Knight Arbiter

Force Alignment: 98

Knight of Hearts

« Reply #158 on: May 14, 2013, 06:56:35 PM »

Direct transmission from a teacher is vitally important. Be wary of wasting good training time with a teacher who himself was taught incorrectly, it only perpetuates the vicious cycle of weakening the art. Also be wary of learning only by video if you don't already have a good foundation in proper swordwork. It's also dangerous to start mixing up techniques from multiple schools before you lock in your habits from any one style.

Also, there are quite a few private dojos who do not advertise openly (by definition) on the net or anywhere else. Look for forums like E-Budo.com, MartialTalk, MartialArtsPlanet, or SwordForum International as starting points for your inquiries. Some of these forums also have dojo locators as well, that might not show up readily on Google.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2013, 07:03:01 PM by Tanq » Logged

jshmeyers
Knight Apprentice

« Reply #159 on: May 14, 2013, 08:48:55 PM »

Thanks I'll have to check out those forums

dreamtension
Knight Apprentice

Force Alignment: 6

« Reply #160 on: May 25, 2013, 02:02:11 AM »

Hi guys, my name's Craig Page. I am longstanding member of Stage Combat group NY Jedi. A year ago, I had begun working on a primer and discourse on the Seven Forms of Lightsaber combat. The paper focused on the historical (in canon) and psychological context of each form while also discussing it's strengths, weaknesses and possible analogues in real world martial arts. It also included mentions of examples from some of the Lightsaber Stage Combat groups I had been in contact with, as well as different types of lightsaber designs and other concerns.

I would like to present it here to the saber community at large to get their opinion, comments , editions and additions. The idea is to develop this further in a bid to help the community create and develop forms and fights that best represent the Seven.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/17111310/7%20Forms%20of%20Lightsaber%20Combat.pdf

PS: While it says it in the document. I would like to point out that this document does not necessarily reflect the opinions of NY Jedi, SaberWars.com, LIJedi, or any other entity within and without the Star Wars community. This is my own opinion.

Good day,
I've been trying to view this document and I keep getting the following error:
Error (404)
We can't find the page you're looking for. Check out our Help Center and forums for help, or head back to home.

Any help I would greatly appreciate.

Light side points please

Master VorNach
Resident Master
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 176

Mendicus esset tamen suus candeo.

« Reply #161 on: May 25, 2013, 02:33:17 AM »

Try this link:

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&pid=sites&srcid=ZGVmYXVsdGRvbWFpbnx0ZXJyYXByaW1lbGlnaHRzYWJlcmFjYWRlbXl8Z3g6NzEwZTc1YzJkYmJkMjc0Yw

Cower not within yourself; whatever he says unto you, do not react to it; fight earnestly for yourself thusly;

https://sites.google.com/site/terraprimelightsaberacademy/
http://annarborsword.com/

Kitra
Knight Captain

Force Alignment: 38

"Use the force, Harry" -Gandalf

« Reply #162 on: May 25, 2013, 05:14:56 AM »

Hello everyone,

I am new to this hobby since my first lightsabres has just been ordered a week ago.
But i would enjoy digging into that with the proper reinforcement and support.
Since i know my ways in Arnis and Talhofer I may have to unlearn and relearn many things due to the properties of the weapon (no sharp side/Blunt side, much less weight, ect.) but i am quite willing to try it out.

First and foremost i have already seen and rewalked some of the Videos in youtube but since i would like to indulge deeper into this activity i am now reaching out for you in the hope that you maybe know a teacher near Frankfurt, Germany who might be interest in getting a learnwilling student.

I am now 30 years old, just engaged my girl a week ago and am able to train 2-4 times a week.
My past experience in Swordfighting is Arnis when i was a little boy for around 3 years (as a philippino you grow up with your father just putting sticks in your hand while saying hit that tree... ^^ of course the story is longer on what he wanted to show me but i dont want to bother you at this point). And i was able to find a teacher in Talhofer style of swordsmanship which i followed for 4 steady years in a row. I have never been at a contest of any sort, but the training included sparring in armor for 45 minutes every trainingsunit.

I would be happy to learn again from somenone accomplished in this art.

With my best wishes.

Very respectfully

Kitra

Light side points are appreciated. Smiley

Master Uilos
Resident Master
Knight Captain

Force Alignment: 121

Snark Jedi

« Reply #163 on: May 25, 2013, 05:47:22 AM »

Good day,
I've been trying to view this document and I keep getting the following error:
Error (404)
We can't find the page you're looking for. Check out our Help Center and forums for help, or head back to home.

Any help I would greatly appreciate.

And also this: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/7hyd1jukm9urfev/zYcIonlvcW

Sorry for the technica glitch

Pedantic Lightsaber Philosopher. Stage Combat Junkie. Cranky New York Street Mage.

Master of the Snark Side of the Force

Long Live The Fighters

Tanq
Knight Arbiter

Force Alignment: 98

Knight of Hearts

« Reply #164 on: May 25, 2013, 06:07:57 AM »

Hello everyone,

I am new to this hobby since my first lightsabres has just been ordered a week ago.
But i would enjoy digging into that with the proper reinforcement and support.
Since i know my ways in Arnis and Talhofer I may have to unlearn and relearn many things due to the properties of the weapon (no sharp side/Blunt side, much less weight, ect.) but i am quite willing to try it out.

First and foremost i have already seen and rewalked some of the Videos in youtube but since i would like to indulge deeper into this activity i am now reaching out for you in the hope that you maybe know a teacher near Frankfurt, Germany who might be interest in getting a learnwilling student.

I am now 30 years old, just engaged my girl a week ago and am able to train 2-4 times a week.
My past experience in Swordfighting is Arnis when i was a little boy for around 3 years (as a philippino you grow up with your father just putting sticks in your hand while saying hit that tree... ^^ of course the story is longer on what he wanted to show me but i dont want to bother you at this point). And i was able to find a teacher in Talhofer style of swordsmanship which i followed for 4 steady years in a row. I have never been at a contest of any sort, but the training included sparring in armor for 45 minutes every trainingsunit.

I would be happy to learn again from somenone accomplished in this art.

With my best wishes.

Very respectfully

Kitra

Have you tried Sword Forum International?

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 16   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: