Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16   Go Down
Author Topic: Seven Forms of Lightsaber Combat: A Discourse  (Read 129050 times)
RDWilson
Knight Lieutenant

Force Alignment: -22

I am the perfect embodiment of the Dark Side!

« Reply #195 on: September 15, 2015, 08:19:38 PM »

Just stumbled upon this and I must say that you have done a marvelous job in your compilation of knowledge of the forms. Have a LS Point!

Onward! Onward! Onward to victory!

Dominix LE V4, RGBA, Obsidian V4

shade_1313
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 766

« Reply #196 on: September 17, 2015, 04:09:38 AM »

Hopefully I get a chance to do some in-depth reading of this soon.

I have a bookshelf full of historical European fighting, and have spent most of my time with rapier and longsword (with a dash of sword and buckler thrown in), and with my first US coming on Friday, I'm interested in exploring what can cross over and what can be adapted.

On my shelves, I've got:

Several versions of Ringeck's Commentaries
I.33
Codex Wallerstein
Paulus Kal
Hans Talhoffer
Joachim Meyer
Ridolfo Capo Ferro
Filippo Vadi
Salvator Fabris
Girard Thibeault d'Anvers
Numerous books expounding on those works and others.

So, I'm looking forward to reading through the discourse and comparing and contrasting with what I'm familiar with already.

Oh, and I have Camillo Agrippa on my old Kindle, too.

Tarlcaster
Knight Aspirant

Force Alignment: 1

« Reply #197 on: October 15, 2015, 10:11:30 AM »

Hello, i'm French padawan  Roll Eyes

We are also looking studied the art of fighting with a lightsaber here. Personally I studied little more than 1 year the two handed sword buy :

Master Johannes Liechtenauer a Allemand old master.

I noticed he was not in the list above. For Chi Cho is fine. Thank you for the list. It's a good idea !

shade_1313
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 766

« Reply #198 on: October 15, 2015, 02:17:43 PM »

Hello, i'm French padawan  Roll Eyes

We are also looking studied the art of fighting with a lightsaber here. Personally I studied little more than 1 year the two handed sword buy :

Master Johannes Liechtenauer a Allemand old master.

I noticed he was not in the list above. For Chi Cho is fine. Thank you for the list. It's a good idea !

Liechtenauer's system mainly comes down to us via other masters' commentaries on his original, somewhat cryptic, writings.  Of those other masters, probably the most well known and studied by those learning Liechtenauer's style are the commentaries by Sigmund Ringeck, as they are much more specific and practical than the earlier commentaries by Hanko Döbringer.

So, Liectenauer IS there, just not named specifically.  I also tend to think of Liectenauer and the whole of longsword fencing as more akin to Djem So than Shii Cho.

Welcome to the forum.

Tarlcaster
Knight Aspirant

Force Alignment: 1

« Reply #199 on: October 15, 2015, 07:52:22 PM »

Oh Yes ! For Lichetnauer I have a french codex, translate by A.M.H.E. du MAINE. It contains all the comments to the first 5 glossators (Hanko Döbringer, Sigmund Ringeck, Juden LEW, Peter VON DANZIG, Hans VON SPEYER) in other color or police,  because some contradicts the other, and the student is free to find the best corresponding for him. Some interpretations are still being studied. I do not know if it can be found in this form in English...  Lips sealed

After an afternoon to wield a lightsaber in the garden, I must say I am surprised by the handling agility of the lightsaber. It allows many movements that would not allow a sword. The "strong" and the "weak" also have a quite different compared to what I know  with two handed sword. If we had a real laser, it would really be a formidable weapon ! Sorry for my nerd comments.

I just find a little fault : the on/off button little inconvenient when rotating the guard to send a shot without gloves...I have a bulb beginning  Undecided long road for become a Jedi started ^^.

Okay I study Liechtenauer with Shii Cho And Djem So. I like Liechtenauer gnose anyway and I still know nothing to Djem So Acceleration this time.

luminousbeing
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: 32

« Reply #200 on: December 08, 2015, 02:18:21 AM »

What an awesome document and thread! Just read through all of it over the past two days, points all 'round!

To some of the Masters and instructors: how do you practice sword or stick techniques on your own (without a sparring partner)?

Attacking moves and technique wouldn't be an issue but defensive moves and blocks are a little harder.

Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter

Klutzaber
Knight Apprentice

Force Alignment: 0

« Reply #201 on: January 27, 2016, 04:13:48 PM »

pleeeeeeease tell me someone has developed a form of vapaad

gaining coordination one-CRASH-step at a time?
I am a jedi, sometimes, so light points please!

Kaath Siyem
Force Sensitive

Force Alignment: -7

« Reply #202 on: February 15, 2016, 07:44:00 PM »

This is greatly informative!! thanks!!

"Ecce qui semper flevit, ac in fletu suo superior risui aliorum fuit beatus" - "pax mendacium, fervorem solum est" - Dark Side -

Rhunion
Knight Apprentice

Force Alignment: 4

Light Side points, please.

« Reply #203 on: February 23, 2016, 12:07:46 AM »

This article is great. It's one of the reasons I got into the idea of sabre combat. I has great explanations of the various forms, their history, attitude, and practical applications. Kudos for posting it here, and some points.

"The ability to speak does not make you intelligent."
-Master Qui-Gon Jinn

McClane
Knight Sergeant

Force Alignment: 11

« Reply #204 on: February 28, 2016, 06:12:35 AM »

Absolutely fantastic wright-up!
I'll be using this as a rough guideline for setting up my Academy.

Master Resolute
Resident Master
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -453

Dark Jedi

« Reply #205 on: February 28, 2016, 03:11:09 PM »

@ luminousbeing.

I train on what I call a skeleton. Simply put, an immovable object. As for working defense without a partner, I would suggest " shadow boxing ". This will not teach you things like yielding, sensing pressure/energy etc, but it is a starting point. Not to mention it is, in my opinion, becoming a lost art. That being said, many different schools, including the one I teach at have the students shadow box.

I'll post a video so you can see the skeleton. I have quite a few but I'll put up the Kali workout. Primary focus on this was to stay medium speed and work heaven six. I think at the end I did what we refer to as " checking the gun. "
http://youtu.be/EoRNWsL-6sE

-- Remember....your Focus determines your Reality. --
-- If you gaze long enough into the Abyss, the Abyss will gaze back into you --

Darth Zodian
Force Sensitive

Force Alignment: 0

Beginner Lightsaber Duelist, Fencer, and Musician.

« Reply #206 on: April 20, 2016, 12:11:46 AM »

Thank you so much for this! It's very informative! Wink

*looks at watch*

I have to run!

Rathayatra
Knight Ensign

Force Alignment: 98

"Mud hole? Slimy? My home this is"

« Reply #207 on: May 04, 2016, 04:54:16 PM »

Thank you .  may the force be with you always.

lightside points please --- thanks an old youngling
Initiate LE v4 CG             
Prophesy v3 OPS GB 
Graflex GB OPS
Yoda FX
Dk. Prophesy v3 SY
Standard Issue Battle v3 GB
Dk. Prophesy v3 VA
Archon v2.1 GB
Dk. Prophesy v3 CG
Dk. Menace tri GB
Consular v4 GB Nickel
Shock GB OPS + Raffle Prophesy CG Stunt
Archon v3.1 + spring raffle Dominix LE v4

Master Uilos
Resident Master
Knight Captain

Force Alignment: 121

Snark Jedi

« Reply #208 on: June 10, 2016, 04:46:56 PM »

Thank you, guys.

To celebrate six years since I'd written that paper, I decided to go back to the material and do more with it. The result is The Snark Side of The Force, a blog about the lightsaber combat community and all that goes in with it. Follow the site to be kept up on updates on the Seven Forms and things that affect the saber community as a whole:

https://thesnarksideoftheforce.wordpress.com/

Pedantic Lightsaber Philosopher. Stage Combat Junkie. Cranky New York Street Mage.

Master of the Snark Side of the Force

Long Live The Fighters

Vivectius
Dark Liberator of Lost Posts
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -719

I always feel like he’s judging my posts.

« Reply #209 on: June 13, 2016, 05:06:51 AM »

Thank you, guys.

To celebrate six years since I'd written that paper, I decided to go back to the material and do more with it. The result is The Snark Side of The Force, a blog about the lightsaber combat community and all that goes in with it. Follow the site to be kept up on updates on the Seven Forms and things that affect the saber community as a whole:

https://thesnarksideoftheforce.wordpress.com/

Thanks!!!! And duly followed  Grin

You only live once. Wrong.
You only die once.  You live every moment of your life.
The question is, are you alive, and living your life? Or just here, and watching your life go by?
------------------------------------------------------------------
I am the bone of my sword
 Steel is my body and fire is my blood
 I have created over a thousand blades
 Unknown to death
 Nor known to life
 Have withstood pain to create many weapons
 Yet those hands will never hold anything
 So, as I pray, Unlimited Blade Works.

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: