Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15]   Go Down
Author Topic: Seven Forms of Lightsaber Combat: A Discourse  (Read 44156 times)
medwyn
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 671

Silver Blade of the Distant Earth Knighthood

« Reply #210 on: June 13, 2016, 03:06:37 AM »

Saw it on FB first, glad I've been directed here as well!
Looking forward to all of it!

Black Wolf
Knight Apprentice

Force Alignment: 28

« Reply #211 on: September 15, 2016, 06:41:46 PM »

Im not really sure what else to say but wow! this is so awseome and very informative. Its given me much to think about and consider in my own pursuit in Lightsaber combat/duelling. ive just been loving every word and feeling very excited and inspired by the wealth of knowledge and information! ...its so true that we are essentially wielding giant glow sticks lol (or flash lights as ive come to look at them at times...but really cool flashlights Smiley ), though in the end to us, they are Lightsabers and at least from us deserve our respect in what they are...weapons (makes me think of Airsoft and firearms in that regards)... along with respect to our peers and fellow enthusiasts. (be it Jedi, Sith, Gray or Dark). Its a fun and interesting hobby and a great community and im coming to love and enjoy it all more and more. Smiley Im sooo glad ive got a month off work starting in a few days, then i can really sit down and start working on myself before i intorduce it to my own team/group later on.

"You will be a Jedi, i promise." - Obi Wan Kenobi

OWN:
- Guardian (Premium V4 sound, GB, 36" UEHG, NP, FOC=AS)

WISHLIST:
- x2 Raven (Premium V4 sound, BR, 36" UEHG, SS pommel, Normal claws, FOC=AS, with adjustable coupler)
- x2 Bellicose (Premium V4 sound, AB, 36" UEHG, QD, FOC=AS, with adjustable coupler)
- Flamberge LE (Emerald V4 sound, BR, 40"/6"/6" UEHG)
- Consular (Premium V4 sound, CG, 36" UEHG, NP, FOC=AS)

obliviondoll
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: -11

« Reply #212 on: February 23, 2017, 02:20:12 PM »

New person here, and very interested in this topic. I've practised a wide variety of not-quite lightsaber-related disciplines over the years, ranging from weapon-based martial arts to dancing with various flaming or otherwise luminous toys.

In martial arts, LARP and re-enactment fighting (the style I learned was somewhere between stage and LARP fighting), I generally follow a philosophy akin to the Dark Side in general, and Juyo in particular. I allow my emotions to become a part of my form, and to guide my actions as much as the techniques I trained in. This attitude definitely didn't begin before learning the philosophy of the Dark Side, but it began before there was any real information about lightsaber forms, and LONG before I did any research about them. I probably took some of my enjoyment of Star Wars and my appreciation for the Sith into my lessons. As my signature says, though, it isn't JUST anger, I work with a full spectrum of emotions.

I found this discourse, and the following discussions, to be very interesting and informative. Thanks to everyone involved, and especially to Uilos for creating the work which prompted this discussion.

In my experience, the majority of skilled practitioners of ANY martial art will adapt the techniques they're taught to suit themselves. It can be as simple as a personalised sequence of actions you never see anyone else perform, or as complex as a seemingly-unique "signature" technique that they've created or modified based on the lessons they've learned. As a beginner form, it makes sense for Shii-Cho to be the only lightsaber form that can be truly codified into a specific set of techniques with clear purpose. Other styles are much more dependent on the individual wielding them. Many techniques will take on properties of the wielder, and need to be performed differently as a result. Some will be better-suited to specific wielders. This can reasonably be expected to result in significant variation in appearance and style even between practitioners of the same form. Shien and Djem-So are both technically "the same" form, but they are distinctive styles, both physically and philosophically.

V^^^V
It's not about rage, it's about *emotion*. Happiness is the Dark side, and I will face you with a smile.

Lybe Minn
Force Sensitive

Force Alignment: 0

« Reply #213 on: May 30, 2017, 05:49:23 PM »

My light saber combat is vapaad and I use it with a double light saber p.s I'm a Jedi

DiZziMage
Knight Apprentice

Force Alignment: -10

“In the midst of chaos, there is also opportunity”

« Reply #214 on: November 03, 2017, 07:19:17 PM »

Wow Must say some of the members on this site has shared some great insight!! Great Reading material and concepts to digest!

Sabers Owned:

DARK INITIATE LE V4 (VA)
DOMINIX V3 (FO)

OCDkirby
Force Sensitive

Force Alignment: 0

« Reply #215 on: November 13, 2017, 06:41:04 PM »

I get an error 404 when I click on the Dropbox link. Can this be fixed?

Master Uilos
Resident Master
Knight Major

Force Alignment: 117

Snark Jedi

« Reply #216 on: November 14, 2017, 05:29:37 PM »

OCD Kirby. Working on a fix. In the mean time, look to my blog "Snark Side of the Force" where I have updated articles on each Form and more:

thesnarksideoftheforce.wordpress.com

Knight-Protector of Rogue Alliance
Headmaster and Lore Monkey of Terra Prime Lightsaber Academy
https://thesnarksideoftheforce.wordpress.com/

Draq
Knight Apprentice

Force Alignment: 9

« Reply #217 on: November 15, 2017, 10:28:36 AM »

It's due to Dropbox removing the public folder and switching over to shared links.

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: