Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16   Go Down
Author Topic: Seven Forms of Lightsaber Combat: A Discourse  (Read 129061 times)
Master Medwyn
Resident Master
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 788

Silver Blade of the Distant Earth Knighthood

« Reply #210 on: June 13, 2016, 10:06:37 AM »

Saw it on FB first, glad I've been directed here as well!
Looking forward to all of it!

Black Wolf
Knight Apprentice

Force Alignment: 28

« Reply #211 on: September 16, 2016, 01:41:46 AM »

Im not really sure what else to say but wow! this is so awseome and very informative. Its given me much to think about and consider in my own pursuit in Lightsaber combat/duelling. ive just been loving every word and feeling very excited and inspired by the wealth of knowledge and information! ...its so true that we are essentially wielding giant glow sticks lol (or flash lights as ive come to look at them at times...but really cool flashlights Smiley ), though in the end to us, they are Lightsabers and at least from us deserve our respect in what they are...weapons (makes me think of Airsoft and firearms in that regards)... along with respect to our peers and fellow enthusiasts. (be it Jedi, Sith, Gray or Dark). Its a fun and interesting hobby and a great community and im coming to love and enjoy it all more and more. Smiley Im sooo glad ive got a month off work starting in a few days, then i can really sit down and start working on myself before i intorduce it to my own team/group later on.

"You will be a Jedi, i promise." - Obi Wan Kenobi

OWN:
- Guardian (Premium V4 sound, GB, 36" UEHG, NP, FOC=AS)

WISHLIST:
- x2 Raven (Premium V4 sound, BR, 36" UEHG, SS pommel, Normal claws, FOC=AS, with adjustable coupler)
- x2 Bellicose (Premium V4 sound, AB, 36" UEHG, QD, FOC=AS, with adjustable coupler)
- Flamberge LE (Emerald V4 sound, BR, 40"/6"/6" UEHG)
- Consular (Premium V4 sound, CG, 36" UEHG, NP, FOC=AS)

obliviondoll
Knight Sergeant

Force Alignment: -21

« Reply #212 on: February 23, 2017, 09:20:12 PM »

New person here, and very interested in this topic. I've practised a wide variety of not-quite lightsaber-related disciplines over the years, ranging from weapon-based martial arts to dancing with various flaming or otherwise luminous toys.

In martial arts, LARP and re-enactment fighting (the style I learned was somewhere between stage and LARP fighting), I generally follow a philosophy akin to the Dark Side in general, and Juyo in particular. I allow my emotions to become a part of my form, and to guide my actions as much as the techniques I trained in. This attitude definitely didn't begin before learning the philosophy of the Dark Side, but it began before there was any real information about lightsaber forms, and LONG before I did any research about them. I probably took some of my enjoyment of Star Wars and my appreciation for the Sith into my lessons. As my signature says, though, it isn't JUST anger, I work with a full spectrum of emotions.

I found this discourse, and the following discussions, to be very interesting and informative. Thanks to everyone involved, and especially to Uilos for creating the work which prompted this discussion.

In my experience, the majority of skilled practitioners of ANY martial art will adapt the techniques they're taught to suit themselves. It can be as simple as a personalised sequence of actions you never see anyone else perform, or as complex as a seemingly-unique "signature" technique that they've created or modified based on the lessons they've learned. As a beginner form, it makes sense for Shii-Cho to be the only lightsaber form that can be truly codified into a specific set of techniques with clear purpose. Other styles are much more dependent on the individual wielding them. Many techniques will take on properties of the wielder, and need to be performed differently as a result. Some will be better-suited to specific wielders. This can reasonably be expected to result in significant variation in appearance and style even between practitioners of the same form. Shien and Djem-So are both technically "the same" form, but they are distinctive styles, both physically and philosophically.

V^^^V
It's not about rage, it's about *emotion*. Happiness is the Dark side, and I will face you with a smile.

Lybe Minn
Force Sensitive

Force Alignment: 0

« Reply #213 on: May 31, 2017, 12:49:23 AM »

My light saber combat is vapaad and I use it with a double light saber p.s I'm a Jedi

DiZziMage
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: -61

“In the midst of chaos, there is also opportunity”

« Reply #214 on: November 04, 2017, 02:19:17 AM »

Wow Must say some of the members on this site has shared some great insight!! Great Reading material and concepts to digest!

Sabers Owned:

ELECTRUM WIND (SY)
DARK INITIATE LE V4 (VA)
DOMINIX V3 (FO)

OCDkirby
Force Sensitive

« Reply #215 on: November 14, 2017, 01:41:04 AM »

I get an error 404 when I click on the Dropbox link. Can this be fixed?

Master Uilos
Resident Master
Knight Captain

Force Alignment: 121

Snark Jedi

« Reply #216 on: November 15, 2017, 12:29:37 AM »

OCD Kirby. Working on a fix. In the mean time, look to my blog "Snark Side of the Force" where I have updated articles on each Form and more:

thesnarksideoftheforce.wordpress.com

Pedantic Lightsaber Philosopher. Stage Combat Junkie. Cranky New York Street Mage.

Master of the Snark Side of the Force

Long Live The Fighters

Draq
Knight Apprentice

Force Alignment: 10

« Reply #217 on: November 15, 2017, 05:28:36 PM »

It's due to Dropbox removing the public folder and switching over to shared links.

AceofHats
Force Sensitive

« Reply #218 on: November 06, 2019, 12:09:33 AM »

The "Snark Side of the Force" articles are some of my favorite material on the web concerning the Lightsaber Forms.

In particular, the Niman and Shien (w/ Darth Nonymous) articles are my favorite, due to the gray area surrounding these "difficult to pinpoint" forms. Niman really speaks to me. It's essentially the Master Level version of Starting Over at the beginning but with Experience and Calculation on your side. The Shien article was my favorite. Mobile, versatile, encompassing the basics of Djem So, and utilizing unique grips and stances.

Very cool set of reads on that page.

AoH

Wyre
Force Sensitive

« Reply #219 on: April 25, 2020, 10:20:42 PM »

Hi guys, my name's Craig Page. I am longstanding member of Stage Combat group NY Jedi. A year ago, I had begun working on a primer and discourse on the Seven Forms of Lightsaber combat. The paper focused on the historical (in canon) and psychological context of each form while also discussing it's strengths, weaknesses and possible analogues in real world martial arts. It also included mentions of examples from some of the Lightsaber Stage Combat groups I had been in contact with, as well as different types of lightsaber designs and other concerns.

I would like to present it here to the saber community at large to get their opinion, comments , editions and additions. The idea is to develop this further in a bid to help the community create and develop forms and fights that best represent the Seven.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/17111310/7%20Forms%20of%20Lightsaber%20Combat.pdf

I got a 404  error  Not found on your url that you linked.. is there an updated URL?? 

"Rulers hold no terror for those who do what is right"

Master Uilos
Resident Master
Knight Captain

Force Alignment: 121

Snark Jedi

« Reply #220 on: September 01, 2020, 07:09:25 AM »

So. Funny Story.

I didn't have a copy of the .pdf any more. Ten years worth of computers, and at least two different editions later meant I didn't have the original file. And then, because one of you blessed maniacs saved it and put it on a file share service, I was able to track down a copy.

So respect.

Here's a new link. This is the ORIGINAL, created over ten years ago (yikes!), it has since been refined in the posts from The Snark Side of the Force, and may yet be refined in to something new along the line. But for now, the original 7 Forms Discourse:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/pfj7mlev28yeir2/Seven%20Forms%20of%20Lightsaber%20Combat%3A%20A%20Discourse.pdf?dl=0&fbclid=IwAR14niXeFIJRE-xn3MnwdlKMwWfIM9lPgorcygUthrSRsHsVIwiq7YN_jTQ

MTFBWY

Pedantic Lightsaber Philosopher. Stage Combat Junkie. Cranky New York Street Mage.

Master of the Snark Side of the Force

Long Live The Fighters

Tai Chi Chuan Wijchen
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 297

« Reply #221 on: September 01, 2020, 02:21:35 PM »

Wow, thanks for sharing, will be a nice read in the near future!

Light Side points appreciated, when warranted.
> Phantasm v4 - CG
> Sentinel v4 staff - GB
> Phantom v4 - BR
> Dark Initiatet v2 - FO
> Free Initiate v2 - CG
> Aeon v3 - GB - Grabbag
> Sentinel v4 w/sound - CG - Mysterybox

obliviondoll
Knight Sergeant

Force Alignment: -21

« Reply #222 on: September 28, 2020, 06:51:26 AM »

Glad to hear you managed to track it down!

V^^^V
It's not about rage, it's about *emotion*. Happiness is the Dark side, and I will face you with a smile.

DarthProdigal
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -203

Korriban Armory Chief, Sith Mage, Hybrid Sith...

« Reply #223 on: November 09, 2020, 09:26:36 PM »

May I say, having read much of this thread, many of those who participated have much wisdom and experience. Truly, this is the topic that called out to me, incentivizing joining in over mere observation. It's originator (Master Ulios) is indeed a martial artist deserving of the Star Wars universe equivalent of a "high degree" blackbelt (ergo his title of Master). Seeking to understand and expand on a fighting style is awful. Given time to pour over the breadth of knowledge offered, this is still surely a life's work. For as they say knowledge is power. But that is the majesty of pure martial arts. Perpetual growth and evolution. Though, I see an inevitable path of evolving into a true combat form, the original intent was stage performance. The Dark Side calls toward conflict, albeit controlled conflict if reasonable. Thus I've gained some of my most meaningful progressions of my personal style through "free sparing" with rivals, mentors, or friends. So this is a greater focus for me than solely demonstrations; in the long run. I'd love to communicate here with any who share Sith Ideology of combat applied to these forms, or personally adapted styles of the like. To me this whole topic is beautiful, wonderful, and must now be consumed and digested; to do what all nourishment should... Provide power. But, a meaningful thank you for this all being offered freely. I can only hope to one day have something meaningful to contribute as well.
     [As a disclaimer I have more than a decade worth of training in MA and MMA with/without weapons. Surety, safety, trust, all must be established before a real spar. I also have full armor. Novices should NEVER do so, especially without supervision.]

Dark Lords of the Sith have ruled collectively and individually for Millenia. One afraid to wield a power is ultimately unworthy of it. Ascendancy into the light has an apex, yet descent into the darkness is endless. The Dark Side can give or take anything, based on user strength. I claim the title of Darth Prodigal Dark Lord of the Sith as my own. Through pain, our Code, and right of combat it is mine; and so shall it be defended. Follow Darth Bane's wisdom. (Only Dark Side Points Preferred.)

DarthProdigal
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -203

Korriban Armory Chief, Sith Mage, Hybrid Sith...

« Reply #224 on: November 10, 2020, 07:22:43 PM »

While reading the Discourse, a question arose regarding Form Zero. Although I possibly lack knowledge of source material, and it's simply addressed elsewhere, I shall ask the question anyway. It doesn't truly directly relate to the VII Forms (since no light saber is involved) but may fall within Form 0. So, it is written that it " the most sensible Form Zero focuses on diffuse attacks using peaceful negotiations and The Force." on page 7 at the bottom. While it stresses "peaceful" since much of the source material is Jedi texts, I feel the application is likely more broad? Light Side mind tricks, force persuasion, disabling droids or weaponry frying circuits, OR force pushing someone off a ledge/cliff/into ocean/out an airlock, stasis fields/impenetrable Force barriers. Now the real heart of my inquiry... Dark Side Force Powers: Dominate Mind, Sith Sorcery inducing madness/ Destroy Mind, Lightning, Draining Life/ Death Fields, Force Choke. Thus arises my true inquiry, is it still Form 0 if not peaceful but instead one sided dominance, subversive tactics, or cloaking one's intention then striking out through the Force? I would be pleased to hear if this is fitting or too broad an interpretation of Form 0; from Master Ulios or others whom hold a deeper understanding of this Form.

Dark Lords of the Sith have ruled collectively and individually for Millenia. One afraid to wield a power is ultimately unworthy of it. Ascendancy into the light has an apex, yet descent into the darkness is endless. The Dark Side can give or take anything, based on user strength. I claim the title of Darth Prodigal Dark Lord of the Sith as my own. Through pain, our Code, and right of combat it is mine; and so shall it be defended. Follow Darth Bane's wisdom. (Only Dark Side Points Preferred.)

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: