Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Author Topic: Custom PVC Saber help?  (Read 6882 times)
sjorsjo91
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 9

« on: January 08, 2011, 02:05:53 PM »

Can anyone point me in the right direction? I have been looking everywhere but info seems to be scarce on this subject.
How can i secure the blade and how can i install a luxeon led in the proper way? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
MTFBWY

Custom Dominix
Custom TFU2 Promo
Custom SI Yoshimitsu
Custom Starkiller (destroyed)
Anakin UltraFX stunt

Oz Drift3r
Knight Officer

Force Alignment: 0

« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2011, 04:05:26 PM »

Hey mate,

In regards to securing the blade, you need to find a piece of "electrical piping" with an inner diameter of 1" Secure that inside the Emmiter end of your hilt. This piece of pipe needs to be approx 2.5" long.

Once that is secure you have something for your blade to slide into. Secure it with a screw of sometime from the outside of your hilt. much like the headless screw on the ultra sabers hilts.

In order to stop your blade sliding any further into the hilt than required, you can use your LED module as a stop point.

Use a piece of pipe with a 1" outer diameter, (or cut off some of your blade) secure your LED and heatsink inside this pipe with a glue gun. Secure your new LED module inside the "electrical piping" from the first step.

Then you just need to slide your blade back in...

I can post some picks if you would like.

Phantom V2 - RGB
Initiate V2 - Violet Amethyst
Liberator V2 - Under Construction

sjorsjo91
Knight Commander

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2011, 04:08:52 PM »

I would love some pics thanks for the response mate. I might be using the Ultrasabers led module since i ruined the old switch and substituted it for one of my own.

Custom Dominix
Custom TFU2 Promo
Custom SI Yoshimitsu
Anakin UltraFX stunt

Oz Drift3r
Knight Officer

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2011, 04:14:49 PM »

Ok no worries..... i'll see what i can find. In the mean time, if you can take a couple of photos of your custom PVC hilt (if its built) and i can give you some more advice on securing your blade holder.

Other wise.... I'll go have a smoke and take some photos to show you what i mean.

Phantom V2 - RGB

sjorsjo91
Knight Commander

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2011, 05:48:52 PM »

you can have your smoke mate. I can't build anything i have pneumonia and i can't leave my house until my medication starts kicking in. Thats why i wanted to do some research. As soon as i can leave here i want to start on it.

Custom Dominix
Custom TFU2 Promo
Custom SI Yoshimitsu
Anakin UltraFX stunt

Ultra
Lord Commander
Administrator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1765

IN HOC SIGNO VINCES

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2011, 05:54:10 PM »

Yes, yes, to Oz you listen!

sjorsjo91
Knight Commander

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2011, 06:35:25 PM »

I will do so master Ultra. I really think it is awesome that Oz wants to help me like this. I really appreciate this.

Custom Dominix
Custom TFU2 Promo
Custom SI Yoshimitsu
Anakin UltraFX stunt

Lord_BoOgEyMaN
Knight Major

Force Alignment: -23

The Sith Shall Rise again!

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2011, 06:41:42 PM »

I will do so master Ultra. I really think it is awesome that Oz wants to help me like this. I really appreciate this.
Thats what we do here, We help others

Dark Initiate V2 (2) Blazing red

sjorsjo91
Knight Commander

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2011, 10:32:46 PM »

yeah i know. It feels good to be a part of this large community. it really feels like a family here.

Custom Dominix
Custom TFU2 Promo
Custom SI Yoshimitsu
Anakin UltraFX stunt

Oz Drift3r
Knight Officer

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2011, 07:12:48 AM »

Ok i couldn't take a decent photo to explain what i'm on about, but i found a photo that makes things much easier to explain.

So what you should have already is the LED module from your ultra saber, something like this....

It seems to be the LED with a nut attached to the back (as a heatsink), most probably fastened with thermo paste.... the same stuff used to attach heatsinks to CPU's in a computer. Then once you've soldered the wires, the lens collimator (the reflective piece that directs the light) is glued in with a glue gun to the LED board. Then the whole thing is glued with a glue gun inside a piece of 1" poly c tube (the same stuff your blade is made from!)

Now, referring back to the first photo. See how the white PVC is a good size for a hilt but too loose for the 1" poly blade? This is why the Electrical conduit with an inner diameter of approx 1" is used to secure the blade. And because our LED module from UltraSabers is secured within an off cut of some 1" poly c blade, we can also slide the LED module right in there. Secure the LED module with either a screw going through the hilt, through the Electrical conduit and hard up against the LED module.... or just glue the LED module in there Smiley

Now the LED module is just over an inch long, and you want the blade to sit in the hilt at least an Inch and a half, thats why you need a piece of the Electrical Conduit approx 2.5" long..

I hope this is all making sense.. it makes sense in my head lol Tongue

Anyway i've drawn up a quick sketch in paint that i hope helps aswell.... feel free to ask if i've missed anything you wanted covered!

Phantom V2 - RGB

sjorsjo91
Knight Commander

« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2011, 12:02:42 PM »

It all makes sense i will definitely build my saber around this.
Thanks a lot and if i bump into anything i am sure to let you know.

Custom Dominix
Custom TFU2 Promo
Custom SI Yoshimitsu
Anakin UltraFX stunt

Oz Drift3r
Knight Officer

« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2011, 02:41:34 PM »

It all makes sense i will definitely build my saber around this.
Thanks a lot and if i bump into anything i am sure to let you know.

No worries at all mate... hope you start to feel better soon Smiley

Phantom V2 - RGB

sjorsjo91
Knight Commander

« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2011, 07:23:37 AM »

Yeah well i will probably shop some parts today. Can i use the thick grey pipe as the hilt body and the white pvc as the decorative parts. Like qui-gon or obi-wans tpm saber? This might be a stupid question but i just want to make sure.

Custom Dominix
Custom TFU2 Promo
Custom SI Yoshimitsu
Anakin UltraFX stunt

Oz Drift3r
Knight Officer

« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2011, 07:34:09 AM »

Of course you can.... plus the white stuff is a little thinner and easier to cut, shape or modify in anyway you see fit Smiley

However your battery pack may not fit inside the 1" inner diameter of the grey stuff..

Phantom V2 - RGB

sjorsjo91
Knight Commander

« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2011, 07:56:03 AM »

I will be using the ultrasabers battery pack so that won't be a problem. Can you perhaps tell me the measurements of the pipes? I would like to draw up what i need and i wanna know the inner and outer diameter of both pvc pipes please.

Custom Dominix
Custom TFU2 Promo
Custom SI Yoshimitsu
Anakin UltraFX stunt

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: