Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Missing saber type in the lineup  (Read 1496 times)
Xaviorbat
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: 1

« on: September 19, 2014, 07:53:45 AM »

I was looking through the sabers tonight, playing what to get for my proper personal rather than my wonderful grab bag entry level, and I noticed something... There's no one handed sabers. The curved are close and any of the sabers CAN be used with one hand, but none that are one hand dedicated like a saber foil. I was lightly disappointed because that's my preferred style and I was hoping to start pricing an emerald with sound. Is there any intention that a new line of sabers I. The near future be one handed?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Greywolf
Knight Lt. Commander

Force Alignment: 100

Grey all the way ;)

« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2014, 08:36:32 AM »

As far as I know many here on the forum love the Prophesy as well as the Initiate V3 for one hand use.

Only 'downside' is that due to the small hilt you have to decide whether you want
sound (http://www.ultrasabers.com/product-p/sound-prophecyv3.htm or http://www.ultrasabers.com/product-p/sound-initiatev3.htm)
OR
Emerald (http://www.ultrasabers.com/product-p/se-prophecyv3.htm or http://www.ultrasabers.com/product-p/se-initiatev3.htm)
as you cannot fit in both...

I myself can recommend the Liberator, too; it's really comfy to use with one hand (especially with a 32" mid grade blade), but likewise the other two not 'large' enough for Emerald and sound...

Cake is a lie. There are only Cookies.
Through Cookies I gain Chocolate.
Through Chocolate I gain Energy.
Through Energy I gain Weight.
Through Weight my pants will burst.
The Force shall free me.

DavidOgilvie
Knight Sergeant

Force Alignment: -7

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2014, 09:14:38 AM »

The graflex or chosen one are both fairly short in the grand scheme of things, and can fit both drivers in. I dont own either but from what ive seen theyd look to be good one handed sabers

Xaviorbat
Knight Lance Corporal

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2014, 09:46:01 AM »

I have a liberator, that was my grab bag, I don't know how you use that one handed without snapping your wrist😄

Xaviorbat
Knight Lance Corporal

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2014, 09:51:26 AM »

Had to check but those are almost 12 inches long, not really a true one handed blade. I can understand not being able to get emerald but still, the sabers are all at best hand and a half, and won't work with fencing styles. Ah well, least I can source parts from ultrasabera

Greywolf
Knight Lt. Commander

Force Alignment: 100

Grey all the way ;)

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2014, 11:02:49 AM »

I have a liberator, that was my grab bag, I don't know how you use that one handed without snapping your wrist😄

Hmm, I'm holding my Liberator at the choke quite similar to those pictures:
http://www.puckandmary.com/blog_puck/2009/10/spanish-fencing-notation-part-4-the-position-of-the-hand/

Have you tried saber spinning? It was a great exercise for me to find the best way of holding (and moving) the saber WITHOUT hurting myself Grin
There are many really cool 'how to's here like http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=20587.0
(and on YouTube as well, but alas the YouTube videos of Banditcar lack a bit in comparison to the ones he put in his DVD...)

Cake is a lie. There are only Cookies.
Through Cookies I gain Chocolate.
Through Chocolate I gain Energy.
Through Energy I gain Weight.
Through Weight my pants will burst.
The Force shall free me.

James Casey
Forum Watchman
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1510

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2014, 12:14:52 PM »

I guess it could depend on hand size, and maybe height as well? At 6' and with big hands, the only hilt I own that I can't comfortably use one-handed is the Guardian.

Now, I'm not a fencer so I may be judging differently, but if it's just a matter of hilt length rather than ergonomics then the Initiates or Prophecies are probably your best bet.

If it's a case of specifically having an even shorter hilt... well, I suspect the minimum space required to accommodate a battery pack, switch, LED unit, wiring and a couple of inches to hold the bottom of the blade means you're unlikely to see something shorter than the v2 Initiates.

"I'll split this world open and tear down the sky before I let him come to even the slightest harm."

Darth Obvious
Knight Arbiter

Force Alignment: -44

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2014, 06:47:58 PM »

A few things to consider:

Emitters usually add at least 2 inches to the length, if not a little more, so while a given hilt might look longer than normal for one-handed use, some of that extra length is in front of the hand.

Also, traditional euro-style one-handed swords usually have heavy steel pommels to counter the blade weight. Saber hilts don't have this, so a little extra length behind the hand doesn't really add much weight (plus they are made of aluminum), and it actually makes a lot of these hilts quite well-balanced in one hand.

So for example, the Shock and Manticore aren't very long, and they aren't very heavy either. I have the Manticore, and it is excellent in one hand (I do a lot of one one-handed Tai Chi Chuan)... plus it's very sleek and doesn't have any angular parts that might get caught on clothing.

And with the Shock, you could put one of the "end cap"-style pommels on there (like the Overlord pommel), reducing its length even more. It would be a fantastic one-handed hilt, IMO.

Xaviorbat
Knight Lance Corporal

« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2014, 07:40:45 PM »

Yeah, I just want something the size of a Yoda myself, small, compact, easily used one handed. Maybe I'll cobble a prototype idea up at somepoint

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: