Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Graflex CE Review: Obsidian Sound with 2-channel Emerald Driver  (Read 4448 times)
sedstiskyfaller
Artisan of the Azure Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 617

Blue is my color, it is who I am

« on: September 25, 2014, 03:44:11 PM »

Hello again, Sedsti Skyfaller here with another saber review. After eyeing this beauty for so long I finally took the dive and picked up a Graflex CE. This saber lives up to all the hype associated with it and is a fine addition to my collection. If you are looking for a classic saber with detail in both form and function, look no further than the Graflex.

This is my second nickel-plated hilt, after the Manticore CE, and I am still in love with the finish. Unlike the Manticore, the saber has a break point in the nickel finish with the addition of the activation box area (along with the black grips), and it is a welcome are for gripping the saber without worrying about the sometimes slippery feel of the nickel finish when using the saber. The grips are plastic and not necessarily the most comfortable when holding the saber, but holding it just above them, where the activation box is, is the best place I have find for balance and stability.

The level of detail in this saber is unparalleled, from the buttons and electric pins near the bunny ears, to the machining of the metal band and activation box, down to the classy, brilliantly machined pommel. There are not many sabers out there, let alone in US lineup with this sense of design and durability. It is also a great feature that the AV switch (a personal favorite of mine and many others) comes standard. I chose the gold buttons and socket head retention screw as well.

On to the other options I chose: This saber has Obsidian sound with a blue illuminated AV switch and a 2-channel Emerald driver in B+A (blue+amber) configuration. The main color it is set in is Blue (GB) and the flash is set to Amber, with the AV switch set in series with the Blue channel so that it flickers with the flash. I was able to capture the colors individually during a lock-up sequence to show the Blue, Amber, and surprising mix of Purple achieved by this Emerald driver setup.

The flash combination came out exactly how I was hoping and is unique to the Emerald driver due to the setup of dies in the standard RGB LEDs. Amber is a magnificent color for FoC and I highly recommend it for other colors such as Red and Green as well. It adds a flare to the illumination that is striking and different. One thing I failed to mention in the in my review video below is that the LED is locked inside of the hilt under the blade holder, and is therefore not removable. Choose your colors wisely.

Here are a couple more pics of the Gralfex in all its glory:

I am so pleased to finally add this saber to my collection and be able to call it my own. If you are interested further in viewing the saber and hearing a little more about it, here is the video review I put together, which includes my third place raffle prize:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qt9dz8Ykss" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qt9dz8Ykss</a>
« Last Edit: September 25, 2014, 04:15:48 PM by sedstiskyfaller » Logged

Molina00
Forum Emissary
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 459

« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2014, 04:20:30 PM »

I don't watch videos at work so I can only comment on what is posted, but I love your pics!  They really show off the beauty of the Graflex and it looks likee B+A was a great choice.  That's a really nice VA and I love the amber.  I am going to have to get an amber emerald driver at some point. 

Speaking of points, have an extra one on me.  Cool

I felt a great disturbance in the force as if millions of nerds cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced.

Integrity can accommodate the inadvertent error and the honest difference of opinion; it cannot accommodate deceit or subordination of principle.

magik0012
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 107

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2014, 04:21:02 PM »

Very nice job! I am slightly envious of that emerald driver! You've got a great set of color choices to play with, it seems! Smiley

I think I need to work on my lighting, maybe get a better camera and a nice leather couch in order to make my photos pop!

Point for the review!

Never give up! Never surrender!

Archon v3 (Emerald RGBA + v4 sound), Graflex SE (GB + v3 sound), Chosen One SE (BR + v3 sound), Manticore (VA + v3 sound), Flamberge v2 (FO + v4 sound, dis-assembled and lightly kitbashed), 

Aeon LE v4 (stunt CG), Dark Prophecy x2 (being re-customized) (stunt BR & DVA or VA),

Dark Arbiter (Disassembled), Overlord (Disassembled)
Dark Liberator (BR w v3 sound - gifted away), Dark Sentinel LE v4 (AB w v3 sound - gifted away)

Molina00
Forum Emissary
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 459

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2014, 04:27:26 PM »

Very nice job! I am slightly envious of that emerald driver! You've got a great set of color choices to play with, it seems! Smiley

I think I need to work on my lighting, maybe get a better camera and a nice leather couch in order to make my photos pop!

Point for the review!

Because, as we all know, a leather couch is the key to great photography.  Cheesy
Sorry, I couldn't resist.  Maybe I should start using leather sofa for my saber pics.

I felt a great disturbance in the force as if millions of nerds cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced.

Integrity can accommodate the inadvertent error and the honest difference of opinion; it cannot accommodate deceit or subordination of principle.

Ziran Le
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 55

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2014, 04:28:49 PM »

Wow!  That combo of B/A really looks awesome on the FoC!  I wasn't sure what to think when you first posted that, but it looks like your blade is catching on fire.  Great review and pics.  Mind is still blown regarding how B+A=P, haha.

Oh, and I tried something similar by placing my yellow Liberator next to a chair to post pictures but didn't consider that the chair was covered in blue vinyl (office chair, yes, it's ugly), so can you guess what happened when my yellow saber shined on it?

Yep, it created "Naugahyde Green!"
« Last Edit: September 25, 2014, 04:31:54 PM by Ziran Le » Logged

[img width= height=]http://sigs.enjin.com/sig-swtor/b44df17a0009fcd0.png[/img]

UltraSabers : 7
Prophecy V3 (GB w/Obsidian), Liberator V3 (AS with yellow filter), Dominix V3 (GB), Standard Issue V3 (FO), Aeon LE V3 (VA - Wife's), Dominix LE V2 (BR - Son's, 5yo), Dark Init. LE V2 (CG - Daughter's, 8yo)

Want: Archon, Bellicose, Graflex, Chosen One, new V4s

sedstiskyfaller
Knight Commander

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2014, 04:39:16 PM »

Thanks guys!

@Molina00: I tried to get as much across with description and pics for those that can't or don't want to have to watch the video. It's ok if you don't want to listen to me either, be honest, I can take it  Wink

@magik0012: The couch does provide a nice backdrop haha. That one is courtesy of my roommate and a very welcome addition to the apartment.

@Ziran Le: I agree. I was shooting for some kind of plasma flare effect or something and I think this delivers!

The Amber color really looks great. I looked up the LED before hand to make sure it would be the same shade as the one I have in my DSI because I didn't want it to be too orange (as US qualifies it) and end up with a Blue/Orange saber. I found that this die falls between 590 and 592 nm on the color spectrum, which is perfect.

Dauntless Seven
Lady of the Sage Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2037

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2014, 05:21:26 PM »

Really informative reviews.  Great color choice.  Have to laugh though as those two are my least favorite hilts, but you almost convinced me to reconsider.  The blade holder is excellent!  Darn, that leather couch keeps distracting me ... what the heck is the woven picture on the pillow behind the Union Jack one.  A blue-amber point for you.   Cheesy
« Last Edit: September 25, 2014, 05:28:56 PM by Dauntless Seven » Logged

sedstiskyfaller
Knight Commander

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2014, 05:35:08 PM »

Really informative reviews.  Great color choice.  Have to laugh though as those two are my least favorite hilts, but you almost convinced me to reconsider.  The blade holder is excellent!  Darn, that leather couch keeps distracting me ... what the heck is the woven picture on the pillow behind the Union Jack one.  A blue-amber point for you.   Cheesy

Haha, thanks. I feel accomplished in almost making you change your mind.

That pillow has a stitched design of an equestrian on horseback with a countryside backdrop. Also courtesy of the roommate lol. He brought the furniture and I brought the entertainment system.

Edit: @Ziran Le: Just saw your added comment lol. That is an unfortunate disgrace to that chair to garnish it with yellow/green light   Cheesy

Darth Obvious
Knight Arbiter

Force Alignment: -44

« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2014, 06:06:00 PM »

I looked up the LED before hand to make sure it would be the same shade as the one I have in my DSI because I didn't want it to be too orange (as US qualifies it) and end up with a Blue/Orange saber. I found that this die falls between 590 and 592 nm on the color spectrum, which is perfect.

How did you determine this?

Looks great, by the way. Congrats!

sedstiskyfaller
Knight Commander

« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2014, 06:21:26 PM »

How did you determine this?

Looks great, by the way. Congrats!

Thanks!

It's listed on the LED manufacturer's website under the specifications. From what I understand US uses the LED Engin LZ4 with their Emerald drivers.

Zren Tobas
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -2027

[Give Light Side Points!] [Give Dark Side Points!]

« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2014, 01:47:40 AM »

Very cool and classic saber. How does the socket screw do for the blade and such? Also does it hold the blade holder more snug versus a button screw? I'm thinking of finally getting me a Graflex but completely classic for mine. Guardian Blue regular Heavy Grade blade and both red buttons for an ESB look. =]

Sabers: Liberator V3 CG ObsV4 sound!, Graflex GB, Overlord AB, Crimson Savior BR, Bane PO, Dark Initiate V2 LE BH, Shock GB, Archon V2.1 CG, Dark Sentinel LE GB ObSLite!, Standard Issue V3 CG, Dominix V3 LE BR, Sentinel SRD, Dominix V2 FO
Next sabers: Dark Prophecy BVA, Negotiator AS, Enigma EG,
[/url]SW1 by joshgarcia07[/url

hazard502
Vanguard of the Archon Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2272

[Give Light Side Points!]

« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2014, 02:46:47 AM »

Well done Sir Sedsti!

Customized Flamberge/BR, Customized LostGray/HP or Tri-AS

sedstiskyfaller
Knight Commander

« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2014, 03:57:21 AM »

Very cool and classic saber. How does the socket screw do for the blade and such? Also does it hold the blade holder more snug versus a button screw? I'm thinking of finally getting me a Graflex but completely classic for mine. Guardian Blue regular Heavy Grade blade and both red buttons for an ESB look. =]

I've seen other people complain about the blade holder rattling, but I haven't seen that problem thus far. It seems very secure and holds the blade well.

Well done Sir Sedsti!

Thank you, hazard502! Looking forward to seeing your prize saber.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: