Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Graflex Custom  (Read 3168 times)
Torn Antithesis
Knight Aspirant

Force Alignment: -7

The Light and Dark sides are subjective.

« on: September 29, 2014, 04:44:30 AM »

Hello everyone!

So I have had my US Graflex for a little over a year now. I as well have a screen accurate Graflex so when comparing the two, unfortunately I always seem to favor my other one than the one made by US. This has NOTHING to do with quality. The quality of my US Graflex is top notch as anyone here knows. However the fact that I just was not playing with it as much as my others told me it was time to spice it up. So, I stripped its guts and took it apart. BTW this thing was never really meant to be taken apart at home. Caution to those who try, only do it if you really really mean it.

I took it apart and began to toy with the idea of what I really wanted out of this saber. Well first, I want it to look old, beat up, been through hell and possibly rebuilt at least once. I wanted it to look like its seen more miles than a 90's civic. I didn't just want another Graflex clone or one that looks like some one else's, I wanted a saber that had a story to tell. I weathered it down and took the finish off, subjected it to my grinder and sandpaper without mercy. This is how I know the aluminum US uses is strong stuff. It made me really work and wearing it down.

I replaced the stock buttons and plan to add more authentic graflex buttons when I get them in, as well as a new latching switch with a higher profile activation button. Perhaps even an antique one. This is by no means the finished product, but certainly it is on it's way.

Ziran Le
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 55

« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2014, 04:15:23 PM »

Seeing as how I hold that saber in a special place in my heart, considering its pedigree and all, and the fact that I want one badly, your decision to demolish it I consider to be a sacrilegious act.  That being said, it's yours, not mine and I can dig it, haha.

Interested to see where you go with this.

[img width= height=]http://sigs.enjin.com/sig-swtor/b44df17a0009fcd0.png[/img]

UltraSabers : 7
Prophecy V3 (GB w/Obsidian), Liberator V3 (AS with yellow filter), Dominix V3 (GB), Standard Issue V3 (FO), Aeon LE V3 (VA - Wife's), Dominix LE V2 (BR - Son's, 5yo), Dark Init. LE V2 (CG - Daughter's, 8yo)

Want: Archon, Bellicose, Graflex, Chosen One, new V4s

Torn Antithesis
Knight Aspirant

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2014, 11:07:50 PM »

LOL I totally understand. I would not had I already owned a screen accurate one to begin with. However, this experience has if anything, strengthened my resolve for US. I really have to work to beat it up. That says something about the integrity of these products.

aray887
Knight Lieutenant

Force Alignment: -42

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2014, 11:13:31 PM »

That is some awesome battle weathering. The emmiter kinda looks like your dog got a hold of it. But, it looks good. How did you do the gouge out of the body of the saber? I really like it. I'm curious to see how it turns out when its done.

Torn Antithesis
Knight Aspirant

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2014, 12:01:03 AM »

I literally took it to my bench grinder and had at it. Of course I was making sure not to actually damage the integrity of the body but yeah thats really it for now. I plan on perhaps doing a minor acid treatment to the whole body as well as adding some simulated electronics just to keep with the junkyard feel of it that I am going for!

magik0012
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 107

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2014, 12:05:21 AM »

I like where you are going with this!

And having taken my US Graflex apart (in order to swap some internals) I know just how much of an effort it can be!

Never give up! Never surrender!

Archon v3 (Emerald RGBA + v4 sound), Graflex SE (GB + v3 sound), Chosen One SE (BR + v3 sound), Manticore (VA + v3 sound), Flamberge v2 (FO + v4 sound, dis-assembled and lightly kitbashed), 

Aeon LE v4 (stunt CG), Dark Prophecy x2 (being re-customized) (stunt BR & DVA or VA),

Dark Arbiter (Disassembled), Overlord (Disassembled)
Dark Liberator (BR w v3 sound - gifted away), Dark Sentinel LE v4 (AB w v3 sound - gifted away)

aray887
Knight Lieutenant

Force Alignment: -42

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2014, 04:50:51 AM »

I'd tell everyone this lightsaber is a prime example of why you don't go to Cloud City looking for trouble.

Torn Antithesis
Knight Aspirant

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2014, 11:00:53 AM »

LMAO Yes, sir this saber looks like it lost a fight, or 5 haha. But I guess that's what happens when you think you can stand toe to toe with the baddest in the galaxy Cheesy    Thanks for the responses guys, I will have more pics up as soon as I get the rest of my parts on order in!

Greywolf
Knight Lt. Commander

Force Alignment: 100

Grey all the way ;)

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2014, 11:11:00 AM »

...The emmiter kinda looks like your dog got a hold of it...

I wouldn't want to mess with THAT kind of dog Grin

Cake is a lie. There are only Cookies.
Through Cookies I gain Chocolate.
Through Chocolate I gain Energy.
Through Energy I gain Weight.
Through Weight my pants will burst.
The Force shall free me.

Torn Antithesis
Knight Aspirant

« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2014, 03:54:36 AM »

And so here we are. I am finished, now I just need to start on the electronics. New blade color, sound.. yep this is going to be fun.. but at least the hard part is out of the way...

Darth Chong
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: -9

dark side points or cookies please

« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2014, 04:23:24 AM »

That's cool. I like it. Have a point. What color blade are you going to do?

Customized Dark Prophecy grab bag in CG
Hasbro (plastic) Darth Vader (red)
Hasbro plastic extendable customized Darth Vader (red/orange)
Star Wars light up lightsaber hard candy (green)

Torn Antithesis
Knight Aspirant

« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2014, 03:11:08 PM »

still on the fence. If I go red, it may be a more orange color, like PO. Other colors catching my eye would be DVA, or Artic Blue. The color is the most important thing. It will take some time for me to decide. Or hell I will prolly just get an emerald driver and play around with it lol

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: