Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: On solid pommels with sound...  (Read 1972 times)
jyn-toar
Knight Officer

Force Alignment: 9

« on: October 01, 2014, 12:10:44 AM »

So, the saber bug is getting ready to bite (a problem since my parents won't allow me to get any more sabers while I'm in their house:P) and I have a question.  If I were to get a Liberator with a solid pommel and with sound, would it work with the soundboard to drill holes in the body of the saber itself?  I like the look of the solid pommel, and I could put some meshy stuff over the holes to disguise them.  Would this work to let the sound out well enough?

jyn-toar
Knight Officer

« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2014, 12:18:01 AM »

Oops, this was supposed to be in customization.  Grin

Zren Tobas
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -2031

[Give Light Side Points!] [Give Dark Side Points!]

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2014, 01:33:55 PM »

Hey you can always use the solid pommel to silent the sound some so it don't bug anyone then use a vented pommel for when you're with a group or cons or something or if you just wanna show off. =]

Sabers: Liberator V3 CG ObsV4 sound!, Graflex GB, Overlord AB, Crimson Savior BR, Bane PO, Dark Initiate V2 LE BH, Shock GB, Archon V2.1 CG, Dark Sentinel LE GB ObSLite!, Standard Issue V3 CG, Dominix V3 LE BR, Sentinel SRD, Dominix V2 FO
Next sabers: Dark Prophecy BVA, Negotiator AS, Enigma EG, Brylark CE SY
[/url]SW1 by joshgarcia07[/url

sedstiskyfaller
Artisan of the Azure Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 617

Blue is my color, it is who I am

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2014, 02:21:27 PM »

I'm not sure you'll hear much effect with the drilled holes if they are not below the speaker. Speakers tend to "sit" on the pommel in sabers so you get most sound from the end of the saber.

jyn-toar
Knight Officer

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2014, 04:26:15 PM »

Okay.  I like having sound but I LOVE the solid pommels.
Would it be possible to hollow out the pommel (leaving the solid bottom) and then drill the holes right by the speaker?  Sort of like a resonance chamber?

Ziran Le
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 55

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2014, 07:52:13 PM »

The speakers sit so close to the end of the hilt that it would be difficult to space it properly.  Also, remember, the last 3/4 of an inch of the hilt is internally threaded to accept the "male" threaded end of your pommel.  You can't drill through the threaded part without risking damaging the hilt.

There is a reason that you've never seen anyone do this before, methinks.

[img width= height=]http://sigs.enjin.com/sig-swtor/b44df17a0009fcd0.png[/img]

UltraSabers : 7
Prophecy V3 (GB w/Obsidian), Liberator V3 (AS with yellow filter), Dominix V3 (GB), Standard Issue V3 (FO), Aeon LE V3 (VA - Wife's), Dominix LE V2 (BR - Son's, 5yo), Dark Init. LE V2 (CG - Daughter's, 8yo)

Want: Archon, Bellicose, Graflex, Chosen One, new V4s

Molina00
Forum Emissary
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 459

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2014, 07:59:13 PM »

You wouldn't necessarily have to drill through the threaded part.  If you could bore out the center of the pommel, staying far enough away from the threaded edge to not damage the threads, you could drill holes into the sides of the main pommel (not the threaded part) until you reach the bored out center.   

I don't know how this would be for amplifying sound, but I'm assuming this could be done.  I have neither the skills nor tools to experiment though.

I felt a great disturbance in the force as if millions of nerds cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced.

Integrity can accommodate the inadvertent error and the honest difference of opinion; it cannot accommodate deceit or subordination of principle.

Ziran Le
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 55

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2014, 08:06:05 PM »

Ooooooooohh, so you mean that you would just drill horizontal holes into the sides of the pommel, instead of drilling them straight through the bottom like they are on pommels made for sound?

Seems a bit silly to me, but I suppose it could be done.  Seems like it might make the sound a bit, "tinny" as well since it would be coming from one or more holes of small diameter.

I have a killer drill press...but no spare pommels to demolish.

[img width= height=]http://sigs.enjin.com/sig-swtor/b44df17a0009fcd0.png[/img]

UltraSabers : 7
Prophecy V3 (GB w/Obsidian), Liberator V3 (AS with yellow filter), Dominix V3 (GB), Standard Issue V3 (FO), Aeon LE V3 (VA - Wife's), Dominix LE V2 (BR - Son's, 5yo), Dark Init. LE V2 (CG - Daughter's, 8yo)

Want: Archon, Bellicose, Graflex, Chosen One, new V4s

jyn-toar
Knight Officer

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2014, 02:13:49 AM »

Yep that's what I was thinking molina.

firehand10k
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 388

« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2014, 08:46:02 PM »

Not sure the actual size of those grooves in the pommel but I would use a 1/16th inch or smaller bit to drill holes around the grooves. If there is clearance inside I would use both grooves and stagger the holes between the upper and lower one.

Have:
Azure Reaper
Crimson Scorpion
Aeon LE  V4 pair
Monarch
Azure Omen
Mantis
Manticore CE
Guardian
Chosen One
Graflex
Menace staff